OCI for E-85

Quick question for the masses here.

My Trackhawk uses E-85 and I change it every 3k miles. However, I've only put about 1k miles on it and the oil is 6 months old. Is there a max calendar time in which I should change the oil?

If it’s getting up to operating temp I’d say rock the 1 year/3k mile interval.

Also words I love to hear…. “Tackhawk” and “E85” 🤤

If it’s getting up to operating temp I’d say rock the 1 year/3k mile interval.

Also words I love to hear…. “Tackhawk” and “E85” 🤤
Its fun. I see you have a 1500. I just picked up a '23 with 3.92 gears so I could tow my TH to the track. Has the 5.7 so nearly identical to my TH 6.2.

I don't mind "wasting" oil on it. 6 months doable or are you thinking shorter?
The majority of performance e85 uoa's I've seen were poor even after just a couple thousand miles if they were taken though a long period of time. Ethanol just attacks oil, worse than regular fuel. But regular fuel will attack the polymers or viscosity improvers and chemically shear the oil. Making no or low polymer oils a better choice. But I'd change it no more than a half year or 2k miles if i was running a high performance e-85 vehicle. Low performance e-85 vehicles still suffer some of it but it's not as bad. But e-85 is completely cost ineffective. It's only useful for making more power.

The majority of performance e85 uoa's I've seen were poor even after just a couple thousand miles if they were taken though a long period of time. Ethanol just attacks oil, worse than regular fuel. But regular fuel will attack the polymers or viscosity improvers and chemically shear the oil. Making no or low polymer oils a better choice. But I'd change it no more than a half year or 2k miles if i was running a high performance e-85 vehicle. Low performance e-85 vehicles still suffer some of it but it's not as bad. But e-85 is completely cost ineffective. It's only useful for making more power.
Can you point me to some low polymer oils? (Thanks)

My Trackhawk uses E-85 and I change it every 3k miles. However, I've only put about 1k miles on it and the oil is 6 months old. Is there a max calendar time in which I should change the oil?

A lot of automakers go by the lesser in of X miles/1 year. Just because you're burning ethanol doesn't automatically mean you need to change more often. If you're just bored and looking for a reason to work on the car go ahead and change it but don't trick yourself into thinking you're a more responsible owner

A lot of automakers go by the lesser in of X miles/1 year. Just because you're burning ethanol doesn't automatically mean you need to change more often. If you're just bored and looking for a reason to work on the car go ahead and change it but don't trick yourself into thinking you're a more responsible owner
Lol I’m not bored. I’m trying to ensure I’m not leaving broken down oil in the pan. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Frankly the real question is should you use E85 in any engine? My 2022 Mazda is on the no ethanol diet!
Have a UOA done and then you'll know. Remember E85 has been around for a decade or more. Perhaps the better question is whether you should use E85 in a barely driven car.
That's actually a great idea. It's been about 6 months with about a 1,000 miles on it.

Can you point me to some low polymer oils? (Thanks)
I've been trying to look up the uoas using the search function but i can't get it to work. But just look up e85 oil change interval on google. It's not something that's made up on bitog. I can't remember which brand the car was but i saw an owners manual page that cut the interval in half if e85 was used exclusively.

What year make model engine oil grade is recommended? what brand/grade oil/filter are you using?

E85 warning concerning oil has already been provided. More specific data would be interesting for some of the members here.

What year make model engine oil grade is recommended? what brand/grade oil/filter are you using?

E85 warning concerning oil has already been provided. More specific data would be interesting for some of the members here.
2018 Jeep Trackhawk with the 6.2L Hellcat motor. Calls for 0W-40 and I'm currently using Amsoil SS 0W-40 w/Mopar SRT filter.

Can you point me to this?
Dry E85 doesn’t do anything much to oil that gasoline also doesn’t do.

If it gets water in it that is where it can create more of a contamination issue than RUG.

Fuel dilution and water /antifreeze contamination shouldn’t be hard to check for when running e85

Supposedly antique Dino oil is more resistant to this than synthetic

Back