NuFinish SUCKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a bottle of NuFinish in the garage and decided to put a coat on my dad's van.

This stuff is simply awful. First, it smells like gasoline and has the consistency of it-- like water. Second, it stains trim and contains a ton of fillers.

However, the biggest problem is the difficulty of removing NuFinish. It took me HOURS to wipe off/buff away all of the NuFinish from the paint. After wiping off each panel with a microfiber cloth, I would find small specks of NuFinish stuck onto the panel and it would require lots of time and tremendous pressure to remove all of the small fragments of NuFinish that were stuck to the paint.

I've had enough of NuFinish. I detailed the Altima and the Saturn with Duragloss #105 and had none of these problems. No more NuFinish for me-- unless of course, someone can explain to me how all of this was caused by user error.

I would not use their products even if they were free. But the orange color is attractive to some people... just like Fram.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
I would not use their products even if they were free. But the orange color is attractive to some people... just like Fram.

Gosh, no wonder I like the Netherlands!!!

a brand new bottle of nufinish is thick and has the consistency of "light" eggnog like other retail liquid "waxes" out there... I had a bottle sitting for years go bad (because I long switched to zaino before then) and gone through some sort of phase separation... that stuff turned into a disgusting kerosene like mess... that stuff went to chemical disposal real fast :D

It looks like it may have separated; makes sure that it is mixed well. It does stain vinyl and rubber, and can be removed with either ArmorAll or WD40 - test a small area first before using it to remove all of the staining.

I've used NuFinish once over 10 years ago and recall it is not watery. It is the same consistency as other liquid waxes. NuFinish is probably the most abrasive of waxes and I would use as a last resort before a polishing compound. You will find wax residue appearing on areas of the paint long after you waxed the car. Before you rub the heck out of the paint trying to remove the residue, use a different non-abrasive wax and let the solvent in the wax remove the NuFinish residue. Whenever I see a car that has areas on the hood, roof or trunk that are worn to the primer coat, I wonder if they us NuFinish and over buffed those areas.

+1. Cant say that nuinish is my favorite or the best wax out there, but something was way wrong with that bottle. That's the risk of using something found in the garage without knowing its history...

I tried it, thought it was garbage, it stains black trim more than any other wax I ever used. In a word IMO 'garbage' there are much better products. There are people that love it, to each is own I guess. JMO

You didn't shake the bottle hard enough or it's been sitting too long, normally it has consistency of other liquid waxes.

But you're so right about the removal. I once did my dad's car, I made the mistake of applying to the whole car at once, oh man, it was a pain to remove it all.

I still have some left, it's great for waxing wheels.

I had a two year old bottle of meg's wax that had separated. Even after five minutes of shaking it still looked off...so I tossed it and bought a new bottle AND some nufinish to buff out some minor swirl marks.

I've had no issues using it on both my old and new car. Subaru paint isn't the greatest, but after two washes, claying, polish (nufinish) and meg's wax, the STI looked great, and still does after a long winter. The older Subaru only saw the Nufinish, because I was lazy and didn't care as much, but she still looks good after the winter as well.

FWIW, I wax by hand, and take my time. I haven't had any issues with stained trim.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Zymol is great and is also at wally world. A big step up from nufinish.

I don't use nufinish on my car, and what's left in the bottle, I'am using on my wheels. I'm actually done with waxes for now, they don't last that long and are harder to apply (in general), I'm using sealants and so far I like them better.

Zymol, huh? I'll have to check that out next time I'm at Wally World. I bought Nufinish because the bottle told me I only had to do it once a year! None of the other bottles said that. Haha
: P

Sadly, my number one concern with wax is ease of removal. I've found with FX synwax I can wax the whole car, then buff, with no real hassle. Cuts down on time for those of us who have little.

I still have some gold class which I really like, maybe after your story I'll throw it in the trunk where it'll get mixed around over time.

Plus the Gold Class smells good too... Try a product that has been around for a while... RaceGlaze.... Easy on easy off and does a great job....

I don't know, NuFinish works fantastic in my tumbler polishing brass for reloading ammo. It's the bees knees!!

I wax my Intrepid once a year with Nufinish. Shake the bottle well before use. I do one panel at a time. It has always worked pretty well for me. I imagine the bottle you had trouble with was very old.

Originally Posted By: sunfire

Both are equally terrible products!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back