Sticky plastic success story

OK, so my 2009 F150 dash components (air bag covers) became so gooey and sticky, the dog's fur would stick in it. Blowing the horn was an exercise in frustration and wiping off hands.

I used 99% isopropyl alcohol and Costco microfiber rags to remove the goo. That took forever, as the goo is not easy to remove. Persistence pays off. One must work in small sections, about 1x2 inches or so.

Then I got the bright idea to use a "Magic Eraser", soaked in Iso Alcohol. That cleaned off the stubborn remains and left the surface tack free. Nice, but it did not really look good.

I searched the garage for a coating to help and found an old bottle of Plastic Renew for ATV's and Dirt Bikes. Wow, what a surprise. For those who don't know, Plastic Renew by PC Racing is a $20-25 kit that contains a milky coating that is likely to be a clear latex paint. I tried it and was THRILLED. I used the rag to carefully wipe on a coat, then wipe off the excess so there were no drips/excesses. 2-3 coats was enough. It dries hard, clear, and tough. But better than that, it not only looks perfect, it feels GREAT.

I waited a while to post this, to ensure it's held up, and it's been perfect for some time now.

Pics to come.

Although the pic makes it look shiny, it's not really. More of a matte finish, and utterly silky smooth and non sticky to the touch.
hOTXNOh.jpg

Do you use a windshield shade? I have been using one for years and it prevents that sticky soft touch material from getting gooey soft.

Do you use a windshield shade? I have been using one for years and it prevents that sticky soft touch material from getting gooey soft.
Yes, sunshade always. Also, the truck is in an air conditioned garage and only sits outside when on trips. Which is what it is used for. Another epic 2000 mile trip on Monday.

It's 14 years old, so I am not surprised the plastic reverted back to its primordial state.

I had some Weathertech floor mats that turned sticky. I called them and they wanted a number on the mats. They sent me a new set. Also had a Tivoli radio that became very sticky. I called them and they offered me a good discount on a new one. Some of the steering wheel buttons on a Mercedes ML became very sticky. Also the window buttons. I tried a lot of stuff but nothing would take it off without a lot of rubbing. Then the numbers and letters came off. It's always that soft touch plastic that does that. Weathertech claimed they got a bad batch of plastic. I had them for several years.

Back