"No Fix Recalls"

Off-brands that we take on trade such as GMs or Fords quite often ship to the US, stronger dollar, more demand.

Seems to me that lately Ford has a permanent "no fix" recall on their trucks. The recall has no resolution. Which means they can't be exported to the US. Latest one is a transmission recalibration for F250 Powerstrokes. Its been in place since June last year. No fix yet.
Check the Ford US site, no recall to be found. Check the Canada Site, open recall. no fix.
Same with F150s, wiper arm/motor recall. Open at least 6 months, no resolution until maybe end of this year.

GM has little to none of this going on.

Jeep has "no fix" the clutch recall, which is a very small % of Jeeps and an Ecodiesel fuel pump recall.

Thoughts?

Which means they can't be exported to the US.
Who says ? If the US won't allow it in, show them on the US side that there's no recall. If you're exporting it out of Canada, I don't know why they'd care about a recall.

US import rules.
DOT, NHSTA, other government agencies don't want a vehicle brought in that may be considered unsafe.
As well, vehicle VIN that start with a "1", attract no tax surcharge, others, 25% tax surcharge.

Is that same recall recorded on the NHTSA website? If not, I highly doubt US customs would check for a canadian recall.

If it is, well the import rules don’t specifically say a vehicle cannot be imported with an open recall.
I remember I had to get a letter from the manufacturer the my vehicles conformed to all safety and emission standards in all 50 states. So if you have that, you are probably good to go.

Also, beside filing the forms, having the manufacturer letter and proof the vehicle is mine, I don’t recall customs checking the vehicle in some sort of data base or anything like that.

DOT, NHSTA, other government agencies don't want a vehicle brought in that may be considered unsafe.
According to Ford (USA), the vehicle is perfectly fine though. I get it though, you guys are stuck in the middle of red-tape on this and I'm sure you've already fought this battle and lost....

IOW, Ford doesn't want these used vehicles coming into the US, so they issue a bogus Canadian recall for which there is of course no fix.
Sneaky.

My F150 is going in for a brake booster recall on Tuesday (they just check if it's leaking). Also on file is an outstanding recall on the block heater cord from 2018. Ford has no replacement cord, so the dealers just cut the end off the block heater cord and put silicon on there. 5 years and no replacement parts. I've told the dealer if they touch the cord, they will be paying for dealer prep charge that includes the mandatory (in Canada) block heater install.

Back