No 0w20 in Australia and this is why

Status
Not open for further replies.
The viscosity of the oil shouldn't have any affect. The oil pressure provided by the oil pump varies with rpm not the oil's viscosity and is capped by the pressure release by-pass valve.
Even the ultra light Sustina 0W-20 is too heavy until the oil temp's are up to something like 65C and the oil pump is no longer in by-pass mode at higher rev's.

Originally Posted By: tribocessive
i used to really like the power curve on my old 2005 tacoma 2TRFE 4cyl 5spd w/VVT; toyota said that their VVT system works by adjusting the oil pressure to influence valve timing; if i have this right, it would make it ridiculous to use thick motor oil.

I think it USES oil pressure to adjust the valve timing. I don't think it actually modifies the oil pressure in the motor to effect a change in the valve timing.

there has to be something going on here, doesn't there? otherwise, why do 10W and even 5W racing oils exist? i know my taco ran less sluggish on M1 0w20 than it did on citgo dino bulk 5W30 SJ; apparently my "horse sense to horsepower" thinking is flawed; i'm still trying to figure out the intelligent balance between viscosity, performance, durability and mpg.

10W and even 5W oils race oils are fast becoming legacy grades.
Take a look at Mobil racing oils; 0W-30 and 0W-50.

I think you've already found the best "balance between viscosity, performance, durability and mpg" in the Sustina 0W-20 you're currently running.

thanks caterham, you made my day; your greatly informed opinion carries a lot of weight with me; unfortunately i must constantly search for the perfect oil; i guess joe gibbs racing must go back to the drawing board; i will study mobil racing oils carefully; all the best.

will a lighter oil provide better cold start protection? I ask because I'm running M1 0W40 in my M3 right now, and my initial wear result from Blackstone (car is still in the break-in phase) is better than some of the ones I found online running the recommended 10W60 oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
will a lighter oil provide better cold start protection?

Of course.
Even the lightest 0W-20 on the market (Sustina) would still be way heavier than necessary for your M3 starting it up "cold" on a 50C day and will remain heavier than optimum until the oil warms up to at least 75C.
Your M3's oil temp's as you probabily know tend to settle in at around 90-95C when fully warm and M1 0W-40 is a nice conservative choice with plenty of viscosity reserve should your oil temp's rise significantly above that as unlikely as that may be if you don't track your car.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Garak
They don't need a tenth of a percent better fuel economy by switching to 0w-20. They need a vehicle that actually gets acceptable fuel economy to begin with, and whether it's running on 15w-40 or 0w-20 is close to irrelevant.

If CAFE went bye-bye and fuel jumped to $10 per gallon here or in the States, things might be different.

Garak, you make some good points but gross exageration doesn't help. The fuel economy gains with high VI 0W-20s are significant (not 1/10 of a %) but still in the low percentage area and that's compared to a light A1/B1 5W-30.
Compared to an archaic 15W-40 deisel oil (that no OEM recommends) it's at least 5%. And even 5% is hard for someone to measure for themselves; that's only 2 mpg on a car that gets 40mpg.

It's interesting that those that pooh-pooh high VI 0W-20 oils have actually never tried one for themselves. Those that do often become big converts, not just for the maximized fuel economy but the noticeably improved engine performance.

In my personal experience the was %0 fuel economy improvement going from 10w30 to 0w20.
I was hearing all the arguments of you'll get better economy, thin oil can't protect you engine, etc and so on.

So I figured to [censored] with all the knowledgeless (is that even a word?) experts, I'm going to test this for my self.
As our car was one that did the same trip to work day in and day out and fuel usage was the same every week I figured I had a good test vehicle, I also wanted to prove to the 'thick oil gods' that thin oil wasn't going to be the death of my engine. For this I started taking oil samples.

The results after two years of running Fuchs GTO 10w30 and then a further 1.5 years of Fuchs GT1 0w20 was that the used oil analysis showed no change in wear trends, and my fuel usage didn't change to the point that I could measure it at all.

I couldn't run the 0w20 for a length of time long enough to offset the cost of the oil. The 10w30 was the clear winner. What possible reason is there for me to continue with 0w20?

Here's another log for this fire:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/03/20/HondaCA.pdf

The Class Action Complaint does not plead an unambigious technical cause. But suffice it to say that cylinder ring sealing has been at least implicated. The resultant consumption problem appears well plead from the allegations.

Question: Any of this happening with Australian Hondas?

I've an open mind on this issue. IIRC, a straight 20 was the popular weight here in the US before the advent of multi-vis. OTOH, in Europe, where both fuel and vehicles are relatively expensive, a 5 and 0w-20 remains hen's teeth in practice. But as we all know, all lubricants are a compromise.

The discussion has been interesting.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Ford tested it for 14 billion kilometers !!!

My testing covered 50 000km. with a split of 50/50. If I can't measure the difference then there is no practical economy improvement for me.

On the upside to the testing, we did find an air leak in the intake ducting that we would never have even looked for if it wasn't for the lab reports.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Here's another log for this fire:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/03/20/HondaCA.pdf

The Class Action Complaint does not plead an unambigious technical cause. But suffice it to say that cylinder ring sealing has been at least implicated. The resultant consumption problem appears well plead from the allegations.

Question: Any of this happening with Australian Hondas?

I've an open mind on this issue. IIRC, a straight 20 was the popular weight here in the US before the advent of multi-vis. OTOH, in Europe, where both fuel and vehicles are relatively expensive, a 5 and 0w-20 remains hen's teeth in practice. But as we all know, all lubricants are a compromise.

The discussion has been interesting.

There none that I know of, But we are not a lawsuit happy country, though it does seem that we are slowly catching up with the USA in that regard.

Last edited:
the real reason that there is no 0W20 motor oil in oz is that the zeitgeist of the australian people does not allow for it; the good-natured australian people can use whatever oil they want to; imho, it's just a cryin' shame that they don't like the thin stuff; btw, i'm on holiday; the ski trip to australia has been booked; see you at thredbo in mid-december.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back