No 0w20 in Australia and this is why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Originally Posted By: Colt
Last year, for example, Honda earned over $900 million from CAFE energy credit sales. Toyota Motor Company earned near three trillion US$.

I'm going to say this is a typo and the author meant "billion".

Ah, OK, that makes sense. Still, it beats a stick in the eye!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The only difference that I can see is that in NA most cars are forbidden from pulling trailer loads and whatnot, while in the rest of the world, regular cars are used for a lot more diverse hauling...

Really? So what can and can't for example?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

So which country is drowning in government "fuel economy" regulations, and which is more likely to base specifications on lubrication requirements only?

Don't forget cost. Heavier grades are much cheaper.

The lower viscosity of 0W-20 weight oil saves fuel principally on start-up at lower temperatures, and it performs well in a relatively low rpm, light-load operating environment. Urban environments, in other words.

This comment right here makes it pretty clear already that he has limited understanding of both lubrication and geography...

And then there's the fact that 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils provide a greater margin of viscosity film-strength in a higher rpm, higher-temperature environment, which is what you are much more likely to experience in Australia.

Really? So 80mph in Texas is somehow different than 81mph in Aus? Umm...OK.....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The only difference that I can see is that in NA most cars are forbidden from pulling trailer loads and whatnot, while in the rest of the world, regular cars are used for a lot more diverse hauling...

Either that's a state-by-state thing, or it's not enforced out here. I see cars towing significant loads pretty frequently.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The 0W-20 grade is available in OZ.
Below is the UOA of the FUCHS Titan GT-1 0W-20 run by Ozzy member Toyota62:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2554442&page=1

The oil is apparently readily available 'down under'.

This is from crvoc.com and what I think the poster there was getting at:

Quote:
. . .CRV8, none of the major oil companies (Exxon-Mobil, Caltex, BP, etc.) imports or distributes 0W-20 weight motor in Australia and certainly not Western Australia. You can buy that weight oil via the Internet of course, but that weight oil is not recommended by Honda Australia for your CR-V. Instead, Honda Australia specifically recommends Honda FEO "Fuel Efficiency Oil") ULTRA 5W-30 or 10W-30. They are fully synthetic oils. Exxon-Mobil also distributes Mobil 1S (synthetic) in 5W-30 and 10W-30 for your model CR-V. (Emphasis added.)

I am reluctant to kick this can further down the road, but in response to this thread and out of curiousity, I signed on to Honda UK's "official" website a moment ago and asked one of the company's representative in their chatroom what weight oil Honda uses as the FF and, more importantly, recommends for Accords (TSXs here) and CR-Vs in the UK. Laura (NFI) responded: "0W-30 is the sole oil weight recommended for all our Honda automobiles."

Quote:
Toyota Motor Company earned near three trillion US$.

That is more than the GDP of most countries. Must be Billion, right?

Last edited:
No I have not noticed that. However some guy from another state or Country has at times
Originally Posted By: tig1
Ever notice people from other countries try to tell us what kind of oil to use.

Their operating income for FY2012 was about $4,524,013,500 US.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:TM&fstype=ii

Of course we all know that thin oils in USA are due to CAFE. If there was nothing for the car makers to gain in the process, they would not invest the money to test 0W20/5W20 oils in their engines and we would be happy motoring with 5W30 and 10W30 oils instead.

Is it bad? No, I'm very happy with 0W20 in my prius, but I would not use it in my other cars.

Hi,
it seems that some geographic re-orientation may be useful!

Australia has a larger area under snow in winter than Switzerland. Some peaks are snow covered covered year round! Skiing is big business here. We can get snow inland from Sydney in the middle of summer

One of the coldest motorways here is overnight midwinter Melbourne to Sydney - around 800kms. Hours of sub zero C temperatures. I have done a lot of field testing of lubricanst in this environment

Another place is the Nullabor Plains - Google it. This is a ver heavily trafficed route

Alice Springs in the mainland's centre has weeks of sub -1C temps in the winter. The road northe form there was not speed limited untiol recent years. In parts it is straight for hundreds of kms - and the ambient temsp near 50C (120F)

Our Cities suffer the same traffic flow issues as in the US

I live around 400kms north of the Tropic of Capricorn - in the Tropics - we get many sub-zero nights in winter! We get summer temps up to 40C+

Quad trailer road trains use 15W-40 (or 5w-40 synthetics)
engine lubricants when hauling around 140tonnes in ambients around 50C

Australia has a very diverse geography - not unlike NA. I know both places very well - and lots of Europe too

Its position in Asia and its Culture contributes much to the type of lubricants that are recommended for use here

We draw most of our lubricants from Asia - in particular from Singapore

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Of course we all know that thin oils in USA are due to CAFE. If there was nothing for the car makers to gain in the process, they would not invest the money to test 0W20/5W20 oils in their engines and we would be happy motoring with 5W30 and 10W30 oils instead.

Let's keep in mind that in the mid 80s it was CAFE that drove car makers in the US to adopt 5w30 when 10w30 and 10w40 were the "norm" here and 20w50 was considered "thin" in Australia. Now 5w30 is the "norm" even in Australia.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Let's keep in mind that in the mid 80s it was CAFE that drove car makers in the US to adopt 5w30 when 10w30 and 10w40 were the "norm" here and 20w50 was considered "thin" in Australia. Now 5w30 is the "norm" even in Australia.

I used 20wt oils in the late 60s and 70s when many engines called for 10-40. Never seemed to cause me a problem then nor now.

Hi,
tig1 - I used 20w-20 lubricants in NZ, Oz and in Eurpoe in the 1950s and 1960s - in many engine families - when working with Caltex-Chvron. No failures because of the viscosity

20w-50 was never considered thin here in Oz. The 20w-50 viscosity lubricant was especially made by Duckhams for the combined engine/gearbox BMC Mini around 1958-9. Castrol followed a little later. It was adopted as a fix all by many car owners. 10w-30 was the most popular viscosity in NZ and Oz in the late 1960s on

Originally Posted By: tig1
Ever notice people from other countries try to tell us what kind of oil to use.

Get over your persecution complex.

Most of the "debate" on this site is your country men asking why other countries run thicker oils, not us telling YOU what to do.

There is a reason that the US chose thin, and it's not engine protection, it's economy.

The strawmen that come out, asking to see all of the destroyed engines don't prevent that from being the primary reason.

And the industry developing oils that protect in those viscosities demonstrates that these oils CAN protect, but never that xW-20s were introduced to offer greater protection in the first instance.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The 0W-20 grade is available in OZ.
Below is the UOA of the FUCHS Titan GT-1 0W-20 run by Ozzy member Toyota62:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2554442&page=1

The oil is apparently readily available 'down under'.

readily isn't really a term I'd use for the xW-20s, but they are becoming more common. Castrol make a 0W-20 magnatec for the new subarus for instance, but only available in 20L drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back