Nitrogen fill for $199

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jrmason
I've yet to see a corroded wheel from the inside and I live in a very humid climate.
The whole argument of N2 being more stable o cf er wide temperature swings is irrelevant in my experiences too. We see temps in the high 90s in the summer and saw lots of -teens and -20s as cold as -39f here this winter. I check my tire pressures every 2 weeks or before a long trip and guess what, have yet to add air to my tires this winter.

I'm surprised this thread has gone this far. I would expect a gimmick like this would be easily seen for what it is by a group of such generally conservative people.

I doubt your tires didn't need air added going from high 90 to -20. The pressure would have dropped 10-12 psi easy, and N2 has no effect on that anyway. Bead corrosion accelerated by salt/water/oxygen is a major problem in the Midwest. I have seen bead corrosion on a majority of the wheels I have mounted tires on. Even newer cars less than 3 years old. It doesn't help when most wheels anymore are not manufactured to prevent it. The wheels that seldom show corrosion seem to be the German cars. Most of the rest are terrible at resisting corrosion, and wet oxygen doesn't help at all. Moisture, just like oxygen will try to equalize. In the humid summer it will permeate into the tire, and in the dry winter, it tries to get back out.

Last edited:
Adding seemingly harmless oxygen to acetylene, it cuts through steel like butter. It can't be better for the tire or wheel either. Oxygen is powerful stuff. Can't live without it though, for sure. Same for water too. Agreed that $199 or even $40 is not worth it though. I spent $6000 to inflate everyone's tires with N2 for free, just to try and make a difference anyway.

Last edited:
Adding seemingly harmless oxygen to nitrogen (as is in your tires) won't cut through steel however. Unless of course your tires are inflated with oxygen and acetylene. Then I might worry.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Adding seemingly harmless oxygen to acetylene, it cuts through steel like butter. It can't be better for the tire or wheel either. Oxygen is powerful stuff. Can't live without it though, for sure. Same for water too. Agreed that $199 or even $40 is not worth it though. I spent $6000 to inflate everyone's tires with N2 for free, just to try and make a difference anyway.

Sorry, got timed out, but years ago I found BITOG, hoping to find all the tips/ideas to try and find the best way to mount/balance tires. I am only trying to do it the best way possible. After too many times of trying to find a shop that at least tried to be careful, 13 years ago I decided to try it myself, only to find out it is not as easy as it sounds. A lot of work/money/time/learning, and endless ways to try and do it better than the rest. I am just looking for ways to do it better, than the ones that don't even try.
Hard to make any money doing it right though.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
I've yet to see a corroded wheel from the inside and I live in a very humid climate.
The whole argument of N2 being more stable o cf er wide temperature swings is irrelevant in my experiences too. We see temps in the high 90s in the summer and saw lots of -teens and -20s as cold as -39f here this winter. I check my tire pressures every 2 weeks or before a long trip and guess what, have yet to add air to my tires this winter.

I'm surprised this thread has gone this far. I would expect a gimmick like this would be easily seen for what it is by a group of such generally conservative people.

I doubt your tires didn't need air added going from high 90 to -20. The pressure would have dropped 10-12 psi easy, and N2 has no effect on that anyway. Bead corrosion accelerated by salt/water/oxygen is a major problem in the Midwest. I have seen bead corrosion on a majority of the wheels I have mounted tires on. Even newer cars less than 3 years old. It doesn't help when most wheels anymore are not manufactured to prevent it. The wheels that seldom show corrosion seem to be the German cars. Most of the rest are terrible at resisting corrosion, and wet oxygen doesn't help at all. Moisture, just like oxygen will try to equalize. In the humid summer it will permeate into the tire, and in the dry winter, it tries to get back out.

I didn't say my tires haven't needed air since the peak of the summer (90 degree weather) I said they haven't needed to be topped up this winter. Although to be honest, I dont recall when the last time was Ive actually had to air up my tires for any reason other than towing. I am pretty anal about adjusting my inflation pressures for towing (primarily in the warmer months) and where I set them is where I find them. Same with the wife's SUV, I typically set the fronts 3-5psi higher than the rears.

None of the vehicles I've ever owned have had corroded wheels on the inside, including my almost 18 year old truck. This in the county with the most avg snowfall in Ohio (lots of brine and salt spread) and high humidity year round. Use it (N2) if you like, but you won't convince me of its benefits. As I mentioned before, I can get it for free and its still not worth the hassle to me.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: geeman789
And the water vapour only becomes an issue at very high tire temps, as in race car tire temps... NOT street tire temps.

http://www.epicentermotorsports.com/files/Nitrogen_Inflation_Article.pdf

I rather like the conclusion of your citation:

Conclusion
The advantages of using nitrogen far exceed the few drawbacks and are substantially better than
using compressed air. Nitrogen provides more predictable handling, doesn't contain potentially
corrosive water vapor, needs to be replaced less frequently, and is fairly inexpensive.

HTH

For RACE CARS. RACE CARS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back