Nissan Altima oversize filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to try an oversize filter on my 01 Altima. I've got the oversize E-core on my 01 Malibu(ST3980), does anyone know if there is an oversize E-core that will fit the Altima?

Are you actually using the supertech brand filter.
The outside of a filter doesn't always show how much media is actually inside the filter.

In this thread you can see that Supertech filter has way less filtering media than oem.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002343#000002

Myself, I just use the OEM Nissan filters they are a quality filter. The Purolator L14610 is also a good filter.

-

If you are interested in Wix filters, I've successfully used the Wix 51334 on my 2001 Altima. The 51334 has the same OD and ID gasket measurements as the smaller Wix 51356, which is the proper cross-reference filter to the Nissan 9E000 filter that the '01's takes. Other people have used the even larger Wix 51344 with the KA24DE engine as well, but the gasket measurements don't line up exact to the 51356.

My Wix catalog does not cross reference to Walmart Supertech filters, but does lists the Fram PH6010 as a direct interchange for the 51334. Perhaps you can find a SuperTech match to the PH6010 in the store.

Personally, I think a silicone ADBV is more important for the Altima engine than an oversized filter, but that's just me.

Thanks guy's, I will get the Wix 51334 if I can't find a cross reference to an E-core for the Altima. I am just about to start the ARX cleaning on my Altima and want to get a better filter then the ST7317 for the cleaning.

I'm using the purolater PL24458 on an Altima, but it is not being stocked anywhere. I'll probably switch to the Wix 51344 or the Napa/Carquest equivalents. I believe that KN hp-1006 is also the same size.

Since you wanted a supertech, the st3593 is another option. You'll need to murder a couple of filters to see if the 3593 has more media then the 7317.

Gasket size isn't what I use to determine filter "oversizing". Most engine filter mounts have an extra 1/4" or more in either direction.
Some imports can jump up to the 51626/51381 without leaking.

I've used both the 51344 and the 51347 on the 2.4L Altima. And, the bypass specs were perfect!
The oil sump is small in the Altima and is why I
won't use the 51334 or stock 51356. And, Nissan timing chains/tensioners/guides are weak. I'd rather have the filter bypass when needed to get oil pressure into the engine where I want it. This is why I won't use the 51568.

I found an oddball Chrysler part a while ago that will allow 3/4x16 filters to mount on an engine that's normally M20x1.5 (like your Nissan and my Subaru). Now I can run the PL20195 or the common, good-bang-for-the-buck Motorcraft FL-400. It's the largest thing I've found that will fit my scoob (the FL-1A touches my timing belt cover). I discuss the part here http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001434

Don't forget to cut off the little 'appendix'.
I've been using it for over a year and am very pleased.

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
Gasket size isn't what I use to determine filter "oversizing". Most engine filter mounts have an extra 1/4" or more in either direction.
Some imports can jump up to the 51626/51381 without leaking.

I've used both the 51344 and the 51347 on the 2.4L Altima. And, the bypass specs were perfect!
The oil sump is small in the Altima and is why I
won't use the 51334 or stock 51356. And, Nissan timing chains/tensioners/guides are weak. I'd rather have the filter bypass when needed to get oil pressure into the engine where I want it. This is why I won't use the 51568.

Lots of Wix numbers going around here, I just want to get the correct one for fitment and the right bypass setting. It looks like the 51344 is the way to go on my 01 Altima, correct?

quote:

Originally posted by wymi:

Lots of Wix numbers going around here, I just want to get the correct one for fitment and the right bypass setting. It looks like the 51344 is the way to go on my 01 Altima, correct? [/QB]

The rubber gasket on the 1334 (short wide) is identical in size to the 1356 (narrow tall). The gasket on 1344 is a couple of mm difference but is approx. the same length as the 1356 stock replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back