Next oil change for out of warranty 2004 Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's "beloved" POS 2004 Civic (base model) is due for a change soon. Spec oil is 5w20. We're in So Cal, so temps are generally 20-25c, year round.

Her driving is mostly short (
Add in she's not a gentle driver. Hard stops and starts, doesn't wait for warm up, leaves AC button in the whole time.

What do I fill with next? (Ignore the fact that it's my secret dream to have this car grenade so we can get something else).

I planned on putting in PP 5w20 since its on special 3.99/qt at ORLY here, but they don't stock that weight, so I'm free to choose. Wal-mart is > 20 miles away (e.g., 2 hours down the 405) so any jug specials don't help me -- I'll have to get single quarts at the local CSKauto/AZ/Pepboys.

Help me guys!

I just visited Advance Auto part's website. They have 5 qts of QS and Purolator Classic filter for 13.99. You will only need roughly 3.5, so you will have alittle extra for later.

@Beast3300
Thanks, but AA doesn't have stores in SoCal. (I wish, I liked them when I lived in ATL). Thanks for the rec, tho!

PP 5w-20 and a Wix or Purolator Pure One Filter would be good.PP 5w-30 may be substituted if you can't find 5w-20.

Last edited:
My wifey is not easy on her car either.

Her Ecotec has been running on M1 since early 2004- engine still runs as soon as the day we got her Cavalier.

Her engine will easily outlast the body of the car.....

Originally Posted By: AceyMan
(Ignore the fact that it's my secret dream to have this car grenade so we can get something else).

I think you're going to be quite disappointed! LOL.

In general, the Civics are built pretty well.

Personally for me, I don't like buying stuff at the stores so I mail order Amsoil for fluids.

Pennzoil is a very good oil as well if the local stores have it.

MC5K and a pureone oil filter, if you had it serviced at the dealership and it ran well go with mobil clean it will serve your car well. Mine loves it, hated the PP during the last OCI. 11 bucks for 5 quarts and 4 for a filter is a good deal. Stick with the dino.

10w30 in your climate is like 5w20 in colder climates. Don't worry too much about the grade as long as it's SL or SM

What's your oil change interval on the vehicle? If you're doing an oil change every 3-4k miles then there really isn't any need for synthetic, even in the driving conditions you mentioned

@sicko
Yearly mileage has been about 8-9K, but recently less, but with fewer freeway miles, as well, to get up to temp. I haven't overseen the MTC on this car long enough to have a trend ~ I've only made her get one OC done, but I want to get what's in it out now, it's got about 5K on it.

I'd guess OCI has been 7500 avg, based on what I know.

I'd go with 'any' synthetic, and change once a year.

Saves you having to 'deal with' a car you don't like.....

IMHO, due to the severe conditions you have there, much like NYC, I would do 3-4,000 oci with a good dino like Mobil 5,000. That plan has worked so well for so many years, why fix something that works?? A Pure One would be a good filter choice.

Acey,

I live in the OC. My wife drives similar to yours in that she has an '03 Civic EX that runs 3 miles to work and 3 miles back. Between us we put on about 6,500 to 7,500 mile per year.

Yearly, for the past two years and starting on the 3d this coming Saturday, I've used the Redline 5-20 and now 0-20 along with the M1 filter. Redline MTL in the manual trans almost changes the shifting so it's like butter.

This car gets driven to Phoenix/Tucson once a year, Big Bear/Arrowhead and Bakersfield and Palm Springs in the middle of the Summer. Idling on the 405 in the valley. This is when I'm driving.

Anyway, Redline and M1 seems well suited to the Civics and I can't really explain why. Consumption is very very little and mileage is the same as when new.

I heartily recommend the above with a yearly oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back