Next-Gen Ford Focus unveiled! U.S. and Euro models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
No one from Ford would confirm the availability of an EcoBoost engine in the Focus,

For a technology that has been heavily advertised as the future of Ford's fuel economy strategy, they sure are reluctant to put these Ecoboost engines into the hands of consumers.

What vehicles have them now? A couple Lincolns and a $40,000 Taurus?

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Quote:
No one from Ford would confirm the availability of an EcoBoost engine in the Focus,

For a technology that has been heavily advertised as the future of Ford's fuel economy strategy, they sure are reluctant to put these Ecoboost engines into the hands of consumers.

What vehicles have them now? A couple Lincolns and a $40,000 Taurus?

Smart move by ford. They need to be VERY confident in a technology before putting it the hands of millions of consumers (the non high-end cars). Even if the technology works when taken care of, if it is the least bit finicky under moderate neglect it will be a PR nightmare.

Car looks great, though it looks exactly like a Mazda 3/3Speed. If the price were sub 20k then it would be a no-brainer beating out the corolla in price and styling.

01.gif
An American small car that I would actually want.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Gorgeous car. Looks like a mazda.

Looks like a Euro Ford to me.

Which have looked like mazdas for a while.

Not in my opinion. FoE's Kinetic design is fairly distinct.

01_mazda3_live_la_opt.jpg

2012_ford_focus_03_cd_gallery.jpg

Mazda's [censored] eating grin really annoys me.

Existing Euro Fords...

080721-02-2009_Ford_Mondeo.jpg

112_0902_01z2010_ford_focus_rsside_view.jpg

Considering current Mazdas for the most part are being built on Ford of Europe chassis (Ford C1), there's going to be some hard point similarities.

Ford "finally" unified the European and North American designs? Uh, does anyone else remember the first generation Focus?

European Ford designs do not look any more like Mazda designs than any other manufacturer's. Unless, of course, you consider the aerodynamic and sleek design ethic to be proprietary to Mazda, and that everyone else on the planet has stolen their philosophy...

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
No doubt, that Mazda "smile" is ***** IMO. The Ford looks much better and thankfully very little like the Mazda.

Every time I see one, I can't help but imagine it with a clown's face paint. Put a big red ball, for a nose, near the leading edge of the hood and it'd do PT Barnum proud.

SCHWEEEETTT!!!

Now, if we can just convince the powers that be at the helm of the Blue Oval to give us THIS, HERE: (thanks Ben for posting the pic)
112_0902_01z2010_ford_focus_rsside_view.jpg

I still cannot figure out just how the engineers got this thing to be sooooo neutral handling, amazingly with NO FWD torque steer!!!!!

KUDOS to Ford Motor Compnay ALL AROUND!

Last edited:
That green one is the outgoing AWD RS version, we wont be getting that. Probably just the four door hatch, but I like the three door hatch better as well.

Last edited:
That green one is the outgoing AWD RS version, we wont be getting that. Probably just the four door hatch, but I like the three door hatch better as well.

Uh, no. The Focus RS in question is not an AWD car. It is a FWD platform, just like its more pedestrian Focus brethren. It does use an improved front suspension design, and Quaife torque-biasing differential, to improve traction and reduce torque-steer. The power is provided by an upgraded Volvo turbocharged in-line five cylinder engine.

You can learn more about the car here... http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/NewFocusRS

And you can drool over it while watching this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzrJolQCONA

I love this car! I hope we're in a financial position to replace my wife's 2000 Civic with this new Ford by the time it comes out!

Originally Posted By: rshunter

Uh, no. The Focus RS in question is not an AWD car. It is a FWD platform, just like its more pedestrian Focus brethren. It does use an improved front suspension design, and Quaife torque-biasing differential, to improve traction and reduce torque-steer. The power is provided by an upgraded Volvo turbocharged in-line five cylinder engine.

And you can drool over it while watching this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzrJolQCONA

They do have an AWD version of the RS in Europe, or at least they did on the last platform.

Correction, apparently the AWD RS I drove in 2006-2007 was NOT a production model. I have always assumed that they went ahead and made that car available for order, the parts from the Volvo work in the application.I even know a guy here in the states that converted his SVT Focus to AWD using the Volvo stuff like was on the RS I drove.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshunter

They do have an AWD version of the RS in Europe, or at least they did on the last platform.

Correction, apparently the AWD RS I drove in 2006-2007 was NOT a production model. I have always assumed that they went ahead and made that car available for order, the parts from the Volvo work in the application.I even know a guy here in the states that converted his SVT Focus to AWD using the Volvo stuff like was on the RS I drove.

At this point they will probably never make a hot RS/WRC all wheel drive version since the WRC rules are going to a front wheel drive ONLY Group A/Super 2000 formula next year.
Even though the teams did not have to make a certain amount of AWD 'homologation specials'(like in the past), and could use a 'kit' to convert a FWD vehicle to a competition/rally AWD ride, why bother when they could just tie-in the marketing to the FWD rally/WRC car.
If they use that same front suspension geometry/set up, and the Quaife diff, it has proven to work VERY well indeed (albeit it WILL give up some traction in wet/icy/snowy/loose gravel conditions), and they won't have the added weight/drag/expense/reduced fuel mileage of an AWD system.
56.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back