Next challenge: What tool to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
42 mm and 53.25 mm.
LOL.gif

I think I'll end up using a scroll saw for the rough shape, then a round file inside the hole. Then finish with a wooden rod wrapped with increasingly finer sandpaper. I've done this before and I could get a very good fit, but I'm not looking forward to Count of Monte Cristo style labor!

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: Pablo
IMHO punching will be best - but tool design/making will be expensive.

Laser cut?

Maybe worth a quote....

Water cut?

IMHO punching will be best - but tool design/making will be expensive.

Laser cut?

Maybe worth a quote....

Water cut?

I've seen parts made from water, laser and EDM - but I've never had any parts made from this method so am not sure which is best for which app.

What about etching? Aluminum, like brass, can be etched. Not sure how clean the edge will look if the metal is 1 mm thick!

If you have a milling machine you could make a jig that rotates on a pin. tape your material down with good (and thin) double sided tape onto a spoil board. plunge the mill into the material then rotate the jig by hand to cut the ID then jog the table and repeat for the OD.

It could also be done with a router.

Hmm, like tom slick said, I could use my small mill, if I make a rotating jig.

Those Chinese tools* would probably be fine. Actually, I could probably make a circle cutter like that with a diamond tip for "scratching" in the the circle. Maybe I can get a similar circle cutter at good hardware store. It will have to sport very fine teeth.

*"The blade of comfortable stabber" and "shielding cat" sound tempting!
grin2.gif

Apparently they call them arch punches.

archpunches.jpg

Down here, they are referred to as "wad" punches, a common nickname for guys who have hair transplants. (well at least the older style ones).

Alright, I found a small "circular hole cutter" (General brand) that can cut holes from 7/8" to 4" diameter in sheet metal (brass, copper, soft steel, alu, plastic, wood) at Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co. Cost is $11.50 for the cutter. A spare blade costs $3.45. That's the winner!

I think a water jet cutter would be best. A friend makes 1/6 scale models for the GI Joe action figures.
In the picture, the metal ring around the gun turret was cut by water. All the panels on the tank were cut the same way, though they are plastic.

m1nbcrack1zp0.jpg

Full picture of M1:
jst6mn1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
I think a water jet cutter would be best.

Maybe Bruce Wayne will let me use his workshop.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
I think a water jet cutter would be best.

Maybe Bruce Wayne will let me use his workshop.

Maybe find a "Bruce Wayne" with a wj cutter and see how much it would cost. Probably more than its worth, but at least you'll know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back