Newbie Help: Best Oil Filter for Modern V8 & heavy foot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 95 Caprice cop car (9c1) with the 350 LT1 engine and I was just curious which oil filter was the best.

Usually I use Mobil 1 oil and a generic oil filter, but would like to use something a little better in the future.

I've been reading some of the threads and it sounds like K&N and Mobil 1 are decent filters, so would either of those be appropriate in my situation? Money is always a concern, I don't want to risk the engine to save a few bucks every 3,000 miles, but if I can get a filter of very similar quality and save $5+ I would do so.

Also, what do you guys think of the 3,000 miles rule? Overkill or better-safe-then-sorry?

How about running a Bosch Premium filter? It's a very high quality filter, but doesn't cost $12 like the Mobil 1.

As far as the 3k oil change interval, it's totally a thing of the past. Conventional oil can go 5-6k in most conditions, and synthetics 10-15k. Oil analysis will help determine the best interval for your oil and your driving habits.

I also have a 95 LT1 (a 95 Firebird Formula) and I run Schaeffer Supreme 10w30 blend, and will be switching to a K&N oil filter, and I plan on doing 9k oil change intervals.

welcome.gif
hassi, to the forum! The Mobil 1's & K&N's seem to be about the best and may be overkill, but I sleep well at night with a M1 on my car. The Walmart house filter is also a very good filter ($1.97) and I use this on my boat's genset since I'm changing about every 30-40 days while cruising. All these and more are made by the same people, Champion Labs. Bosch and PureONE's are another good choice. This is too large to post but a good start on your quest for info about filters: http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml Since you live in St. Louis, the home of Schaeffer's, have you ever considered their line of products? http://www.schaefferoil.com Their stuff is AT LEAST as good and IMO better than just about anything else on the market, and cheaper than the Mobil 1 you use now. BOBISTHEOILGUY (the founder of this great site) is a wealth of info about all things slippery, and can certainly get you pointed in the right direction.
grin.gif

I would suggest the Supertech from WalMart. Hopefully you can go with the equivalent of the AC PF-52 instead of the shorter version. These filters are a very high quality. I have been leary of the PureOne filters as their Canister is only about .009" thick. Bosh/Supertech are .014". K&N/Mobile 1 are .018". Since these filters have no bypass valve as G has internal valve-I think it (Thickness) gives an extra measure of safety.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
How about running a Bosch Premium filter? It's a very high quality filter, but doesn't cost $12 like the Mobil 1.

I just wanted to point out that K Mart sells M1 filters for $10.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris A:

quote:

I just wanted to point out that K Mart sells M1 filters for $10.

Not since K-Mart declared bankruptcy. The only ones I have seen at K-Marts now are Frams. They clearanced all their other filter brands out.

AutoZone is the only big chain that sells them that I'm aware of, and most of the filters are $12, although one or two of them are $10 for some reason......

quote:

A few people on the f-body message boards bought up a bunch of Mobil 1 filters from Kmarts in their area for 99 cents each!
shocked.gif

Yeah, I think I bought mine from somebody who got the 99 cent deal. They all $9.99 stickers from Kmart on them. I found em on eBay, but the seller spelled Mobil with and "e" on the end and NOBODY found them 'cept ME! hehe
cheers.gif

In fact.... Right now on eBay there is an auction for 9 Mobil 1 M1-203's for $27.00 with no bids and less than 2 days to go. And another 6 M1-103's for $13.99 with 4 days left. Just do a search for "mobil filter". Of course if I could use these, I wouldn't telling you guys this!
grin.gif

A few people on the f-body message boards bought up a bunch of Mobil 1 filters from Kmarts in their area for 99 cents each!
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back