New Vehicle Shortage to last in to 2024

We drive to cottage almost every weekend because my son and I are building a new cabin on the lot, as we head up the Dodge Ram dealer in Barrie Ontario has their lot full of trucks, there isn't room for 1 more! This is the only dealer we pass in 3-4 hours of driving that has any inventory, the others have tried to make their lots look populated but it doesn't work.

I'm not in the market for RAM pu, but either this lot is full of fake trucks or something tells me the reliability of RAM is so bad nobody wants one?
Or this Barrie RAM dealer is charging extra $10k+ CAD for the privilege of actually having something to drive home today?

We drive to cottage almost every weekend because my son and I are building a new cabin on the lot, as we head up the Dodge Ram dealer in Barrie Ontario has their lot full of trucks, there isn't room for 1 more! This is the only dealer we pass in 3-4 hours of driving that has any inventory, the others have tried to make their lots look populated but it doesn't work.

I'm not in the market for RAM pu, but either this lot is full of fake trucks or something tells me the reliability of RAM is so bad nobody wants one?
Or this Barrie RAM dealer is charging extra $10k+ CAD for the privilege of actually having something to drive home today?
I bought a new Silverado back in 2018. It's a fully loaded 4WD-Crew Cab LTZ. Looked at a new 2022 Silverado of the same spec. All options were the same except the new truck had power folding running boards. MSRP of my truck in 2018 was $54,000.00 The list price of the new Silverado was $69,000.00. Couple that will a dealer markup and it's a significant price increase.

I suspect the price (MSRP) on the lot is still why it's sitting there.

I don't see things changing. Dealers are selling vehicle just fine because people want vehicles and since they are hard to find in what they want they grab what they can. They feel if they don't buy now there will not be one later. Most all dealers around here are asking $3k and up over MSRP and getting it with no issues.

Plus more are willing to order when they can to get what they want and not have to pay the mark up. The wait is the only bad thing.

It's a whole new world out there.

Some people still don't want certain new cars. Others here have reported the Mitsubishi dealers have stock. That might be what's going on at that RAM dealer. Dodge and then RAM have been best known as price leaders in light trucks, not for making a particularly good product.

I have a friend who's fairly high up in a mid size bicycle company. He says they won't see supply chain back to normal until 2024 (they hope). No reason for him to lie to me about the bike biz. The price of decent bikes has jumped up in the past year up to 20%.

The days of hard dealing on new vehicles are gone for now. Hurts the most for Ram buyers used to deep discounts off of MSRP as noted above.

The semiconductor shortage has eased up SOMEWHAT as Asia fabs have been moving back to auto chip production.
And remember, Renesas, who makes about 30% of the world's auto chips, had a big fire. They are back on line.
Of course there are all kinds of material supply chain issues, not just electronics.

Add to that, since people have not been able to buy as usual for the last 2 years, people have been waiting so the typical demand has pent up demand added to it.

We have a ways to go. The auto industry is key to the world economy in so many ways.

Is there really a supply shortage, or just high demand?

Porsche is ADDING production capacity to meet record sales. Porsche plans to use one of VW's German plants next year to accomplish this.

It seems that labor shortages are every where. Many companies are trying to hire with bonuses just to staff for more business after the pandemic thing. It would seem for the chip thing going away in 30 days (July) is unrealistic. But then again-I could be wrong.

I was there when they throttled it back as per the article you posted. They are now actively looking again. They play yo-to games with that.

This tells me the chip shortage may not be a factor.

Aluminum, other parts, other routes.. have sometimes been issues, maybe those have been replenished. Just guessing here. I do not claim to be right.

Me, personally, I don't have time for yo-yo games so Toyota and their new Lexus (?) can go kick rocks. But that is just me.

There has been a new car shortage in Cuba since ~1960 and they are still moving. Don't fret about it here.

View attachment 105823
The only problem with this is our leaders make it hard and it can get expensive to keep older cars around because they don't pass smog test or obd check engine light is on. This can cost the average person thousands to repair to keep on the road. So much for being on the side of Middle class or working poor.

This can cost the average person thousands to repair to keep on the road.
My '92 Volvo has a very primitive diagnostic system so it doesn't really have a CEL in the modern sense. Besides I removed the dash light years ago. Parts are easy to source and fixing it is simple. Since the car is >30 years ago it has no annual inspection. Just pay the taxes, which are almost nothing, and get the tag renewed.

No car payment, no inspection just drive.

Looks very much like this one;

volvo.jpg

There is no better value on the market than a Ford Maverick XLT hybrid with FWD.

You can't even get something used that is somewhat decent for under 20 grand.

I was going to place an order for one in August but now with the economy going the way it is, I'm stowing money away and staying away from more debt.

I work at a large Ram, Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler store. Chrysler Caravans are in short supply. Other than that we're at 90% to 95% of normal new vehicle stock.
They won't have sun roofs or adaptive cruise.
Used, we're at our target levels.
Stellantus seems to be doing pretty well from an inventory standpoint, especially compared to Ford/GM. Do you have any idea why?

My sister-in-law has been looking for a base model manual sedan of some type (Corolla, Forte, Sentra, Civic, 3 etc) for 3+ months, still can't find one. We did find one a few provinces over but they're playing the games with needing to buy coatings and other garbage. Seems no manufacturers want to build the low end stuff.

Which means used vehicles priced remain high(er) and also repair industry will struggle to keep up with increased demand of services.

Stellantus seems to be doing pretty well from an inventory standpoint, especially compared to Ford/GM. Do you have any idea why?
Seems like Stellantus doesn't have a stellar reputation amongst the masses.
Maybe the key managers in key positions, know what they're doing?

A lot of the platforms are mature, which helps imo.
Compass, Cherokee, Ram, Grand Cherokee (old style), Wrangler, Gladiator
Good stocks of the Grand Cherokee L and 2022 Grand Cherokee (new style) as well.

I have a friend that has a wife working at the Bramalea Ontario Charger, Challenger plant. They were shut down quite a bit.
Told their chips were being allocated elsewhere. Makes sense given sedan sales have crashed the past 6 - 8 years.
A lot of fleet cars out of that plant which usually have thin margins - thinking Police Chargers.

We're getting a good amount of Wagoneers and Grand Wagoneers, received 4 this week alone.
Supply chain has been fairly good. It dipped 1st 6 months of the "C", but rebounded after that.

There are numerous problems around supply chain, and some are affected more than others.
1. Pandemic did affect chain, and China zero case policy adds to problems.
2. War in UKR definitely messed up supply for some European companies.
3. Sanctions on Russia are bigger issue. Lost production capacity there will have to be replaced elsewhere. That won’t happen overnight. At best, 6-12 months for some parts, probably 2-4yrs to negate effects of companies pulling out from there for good.

Things might get better with higher interest rates, but today news is record spending by consumers and big jump in GDP. Wouldn’t be surprised if FED bumps rates two more times.

The only problem with this is our leaders make it hard and it can get expensive to keep older cars around because they don't pass smog test or obd check engine light is on. This can cost the average person thousands to repair to keep on the road. So much for being on the side of Middle class or working poor.
Yeah, lack of inspection is really good idea, bcs. what could go wrong?

Yeah, lack of inspection is really good idea, bcs. what could go wrong?
They did away with vehicle safety inspections in Utah. Since then not uncommon to find bald tires-in the middle of winter on family minivans. Not to mention no brake lights, etc.

IMHO-it's been a disaster. Then we have the smog inversion due to environmental factors, vehicle emissions ,etc. They still check emissions every other year, but not the safety items.

Back