New Vehicle Shortage to last in to 2024

CKN

Sam Fiorani, vice-president of global vehicle forecasting at AutoForecast Solutions, recently told Automotive News Canada that it will be “well into next year, if not 2024,” before inventory levels return to a regular level. Semiconductor chips are the main culprit behind the crunch, but Fiorani said there’s also a shortage of other parts, too, including plastic and foam components that are made from petroleum, leaving automakers and car dealerships with little immediate reprieve.

Of course this will continue to affect availability of used cars and prices.

A local VW dealer, MAG VW, had a TV spot last week advertising a Jetta S stick, the cheapest Jetta basically for $249 per month. Wasn't going to buy one, but was curious and went to their website and they have ONE Jetta in stock and it's a SEL model. Maybe VW or for an IRS reason they spend X amount on advertising?

A local VW dealer, MAG VW, had a TV spot last week advertising a Jetta S stick, the cheapest Jetta basically for $249 per month. Wasn't going to buy one, but was curious and went to their website and they have ONE Jetta in stock and it's a SEL model. Maybe VW or for an IRS reason they spend X amount on advertising?
I too have noticed that Dealer's and manufacturers commercials seem to follow the normal content they have always had-but yet try to buy a new vehicle off the lot and take delivery-they are non-existent.

They want you to know they are still around, get feet into the showroom for whatever reason.

There has been a new car shortage in Cuba since ~1960 and they are still moving. Don't fret about it here.

Cuba.jpg

I work at a large Ram, Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler store. Chrysler Caravans are in short supply. Other than that we're at 90% to 95% of normal new vehicle stock.
They won't have sun roofs or adaptive cruise.
Used, we're at our target levels.

I work at a large Ram, Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler store. Chrysler Caravans are in short supply. Other than that we're at 90% to 95% of normal new vehicle stock.
They won't have sun roofs or adaptive cruise.
Used, we're at our target levels.
Are there any features missing on RAM vehicles to be installed later due to the chip shortage?

Call or if you're not wanting to start the circus drop in when they are closed. Cars are selling practically off the truck they may have stock not even on the website, although many dealers are now listing vehicles as pending arrival.

My Jetta S was fresh off the truck when I bought it was not on the website yet, I decided to call and they actually had two.

I drive by my local Hyundai dealer quite often.
Their new car inventory is on a large lot next door facing the street.
For quite awhile the lot has had maybe 10 vehicles but last Sunday it was full maybe 50 or 60.

Reactions: CKN
Toyota actually rolled back that prediction-

Though your article states April May and June, I know firsthand that at least agencies are pushing hiring with $1000+ signing bonuses at a USA plant right now. July forward..

If the staff agencies are pushing hiring to fill demand then the plant (middle United States) must be cranking back up.

I could be wrong.

Though your article states April May and June, I know firsthand that at least agencies are pushing hiring with $1000+ signing bonuses at a USA plant right now. July forward..

If the staff agencies are pushing hiring to fill demand then the plant (middle United States) must be cranking back up.

I could be wrong.
It seems that labor shortages are every where. Many companies are trying to hire with bonuses just to staff for more business after the pandemic thing. It would seem for the chip thing going away in 30 days (July) is unrealistic. But then again-I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Back