Ford 3.5 EB w/ timing rattle - buy or walk?

I am on the search for a replacement to my Tacoma. One that has more cargo/towing capacity, and cheaper. Didn’t make sense to have a $25k truck to dent and scratch.

looking at a 2011 F150 XLT extended cab, long bed, 4x4, 3.5 eco boost 120k miles. New turbos.
3 issues during my inspection
-timing chain rattle on first cold start. Very quick(less than 1 sec) smooth rattle not clattery. Doesn’t come back after.
- NY truck, the bed-floor cross members are starting to become questionable.
- Vibration at 55mph from behind the seat. Possibly bad rear tires(tires were near bald) but no clue if driveline related. Vibration does ease up around 65, the fastest traffic allowed that day.
Everything else looks acceptable minus the driver side door lock switch not working.

I told my gut that this time around I will walk if anything looks less than ideal, but now I’m questioning it. Am I asking for too much out of a $10-12k truck?
Is the timing chain ordeal worth getting into? I figure if it can run me a year or two as is(roughly 8k miles a year) I wouldn’t mind doing a timing chain job myself or even paying a shop to do it. I just can’t have it brick like 10 months from now. I don’t mind wrenching if I have to. Just not trying to buy a project at the moment.

Other 2 options are GM 5.3 4wd rigs, one a single cab/long bed($11k) , the other is an extended cab/standard bed($12k). I have yet to see these rigs in person(will tomorrow). But right now it’s under the assumption that both of these trucks don’t have mechanical faults and don’t have any questionable rust problems.

Price wise, the F150 books at $12600 I figure I can try to get it down to $11000-11500 if they replace the rear tires. Asking price is $12900. Would it be insane to pay even 12k for it?

Last edited:
Any 10 year truck from central NY is going to have a limited lifespan from rust alone. If you want something nice, you will have to spend the time searching a few states south.

This is why some people like me prefer a basic V8 powertrain instead of the latest greatest V6 twin turbo inter cooled engines. Keep It Simple Stupid!
It’s far better when you buy used due to crazy high sticker prices…

That’s what I prefer too. The only reason this ford is even considered is due to It’s cab/bed configuration. Otherwise I already think the turbo system is a whole set of headaches. All of that plastic that’ll eventually get brittle and start losing boost.

GM it is.

Any 10 year truck from central NY is going to have a limited lifespan from rust alone. If you want something nice, you will have to spend the time searching a few states south.

I’m toying the idea of going further south to get my truck. Issue is I don’t want to take a 4-5 hour drive then find out the seller lied and the rig is a POS. I know how FB folks are lol. Which is why I question wether or not I’m expecting something too perfect for 10-12k. Can I get something that doesn’t need any work? The truck prices have shot up over the years. You used to be able to get fairly clean 9-10 year old trucks for like $8k. These days the same thing goes for $13k+

Those turbos don't fail. That's red flag #1. The rattle is #2. The rust is #3.

Makes sense. Didn’t think to look at it that way. I’ve seen my share of turbos fail around 100k. Combine that with the timing rattle I can assume it never had the best maintenance interval.

There's a lot of good Ford trucks out there but I agree on this one I would not buy either. The timing chain / phaser issue could be a big problem. Also as far as that vibration they can be hard to track down. I had a 2010 f150 basically the same thing different engine with a vibration that's almost seemed like a drone. I did so many things and it never resolved completely.

There's a lot of good Ford trucks out there but I agree on this one I would not buy either. The timing chain / phaser issue could be a big problem. Also as far as that vibration they can be hard to track down. I had a 2010 f150 basically the same thing different engine with a vibration that's almost seemed like a drone. I did so many things and it never resolved completely.

Are the 2wd ford trucks less trouble prone(driveline wise) ?

I came across a 2013 F150 XLT ext cab/6.5bd with the 5.0 V8 126k miles. Clean truck. Comes with new tires and a bed cap. Motor sounds healthy. Didn’t really think much of it due to it being 2wd until I got home and realized I don’t realistically need 4x4. I had 4x4 on my Tacoma. Rarely engaged it. I stay on pavement.

Also looking at a 2015 Silverado 1500 4.3 V6 4WD. Base spec WT has 166k miles. Also a clean truck. It is $1000 less than the F150 and 2 years newer, but higher miles.

If it were me, I’d pass on the Ecoboost. They’re generally good trucks but it sounds like this one wasn’t taken care of.

I came across a 2013 F150 XLT ext cab/6.5bd with the 5.0 V8 126k miles. Clean truck. Comes with new tires and a bed cap. Motor sounds healthy. Didn’t really think much of it due to it being 2wd until I got home and realized I don’t realistically need 4x4. I had 4x4 on my Tacoma. Rarely engaged it. I stay on pavement.

Also looking at a 2015 Silverado 1500 4.3 V6 4WD. Base spec WT has 166k miles. Also a clean truck. It is $1000 less than the F150 and 2 years newer, but higher miles.

I would personally go 5.0 over Ecoboost, that one sounds pretty good! Those Silverados are good to, not a ton of power but proven 👍

ANY 2wd truck is less prone to drivetrain issues.

Back