New tires prices sticker shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Currently have a set of Pirelli P4 Four Seasons (185/60-15) waiting for me @ the local Ford Dealer.(going on Thurs Morn.)
For them it was a "special order" tire, would take them 15 days to get in.
I ordered From Tire Rack, had them delivered to Ford Dealer, there in 2 days(ordered wed. night, shipped thurs. afternoon, delivered UPS by noon on fri.)
Tire Rack was $82 ea.
Set of (4)$328; Shipping $41.96= $376 shipped, Dealer is gonna Charge $12.50per tire to mount& balance(so $50)
So ~$426 + misc Fees.

The Quote they(Ford Dealer) gave me, if i went through their channels, and waited 15 days for them to come in:
$92 Ea.
set of (4)$368; mounting/balancing/shopfees/etc $48; Sales Tax $27.04
leading to an out the door price of$443.04 (then $60 MIR, which i'll be missing out on)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
HANKOOK OPTIMO H724 in size 215-65-15 is $68/ea from onlinetire.com.

Their shipping charges negate any savings.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
DTD will have their $100 off on 4 tires for Black Friday !!!!

Last year it was only $50 off 4 tires. I know because I waited and bought a set over the holiday.

That's what I remembered as well.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I'm calling [censored] on this one. A set of Firestone 710s from TR is $332 before shipping. That's a good deal.

Sure, $332 + ~$120 shipping + ~$80 mount/balance = ~$532.

TR does have some deals, especially if you want tires mounted on wheels shipped to your door, but otherwise.. Meh?

Joel

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ya tires are expensive. Since the Chinese tariff lifted I have noticed wholesale prices on the no name stuff has gone down some.

I just heard Obama say he put a tariff in place to slow the flood of Chinese tires during the debate. your saying it was removed? (fact check)

Got a message from one of my tire suppliers last month about not accepting returns on Chinese tires for a while due to massive price fluctuations since there is no longer a tariff in place.

21.gif

I guess $450.00 just don't sound like that much for quality tires to me. Of course like I told the guy at Michelin this morning, I can stand in my garage and look at $1400.00 worth of Michelin tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Their shipping charges negate any savings

Sorry, forgot shipping charge. Their warehouse is about 25 miles from my place, so I didn't have to worry about shipping charge.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Their shipping charges negate any savings

Sorry, forgot shipping charge. Their warehouse is about 25 miles from my place, so I didn't have to worry about shipping charge.

The only downside is to pay LA County sales tax 8.75% for local pickup.

Hankook H727's are around $120 per tire installed... Very highly rated and also low priced compared to most tires. They do have a $50 rebate going on.

Just installed them on a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and a 2003 Monte Carlo SS(kids cars)... Very impressed with these tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mason1125
The only downside is to pay LA County sales tax 8.75% for local pickup.

What I did: print the low price without shipping charge from onlinetire.com, get the America Tire in Orange County matches that price and pay sale tax of 7.75%.

Umm...
treaddepot had the same tire in that size for $72.00 and they were in stock.

Umm...
Shipping doesn't run anything like $120.00 on four tires.
I've bought seven sets of tires online over the past four years, so I am aware of actual shipping costs.

Tires are a lot more expensive than they used to be. Part of the reason is they charge more for tires that have larger rims, even when you are getting less actual tire. That and all the money printing that's been going on lately. There is nothing you can do except downsize your rims and otherwise just get used to it.

I.E. - One of my cars came with optional 16" rims. I should be able to find OEM rims that look exactly the same but usues 15" rims, but the tire size diameter is within 1%. So I will find some OE 15" rims at a JY and just get those and for the life of the car the 15" tires will be about 40% cheaper than the ones made for a 16" rim.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
One of my cars came with optional 16" rims. I should be able to find OEM rims that look exactly the same but usues 15" rims, but the tire size diameter is within 1%. So I will find some OE 15" rims at a JY and just get those and for the life of the car the 15" tires will be about 40% cheaper than the ones made for a 16" rim.

The tires I was shopping were about $9-10 less per tire for the 15 inch verses 16 inch, not much but I'll take it.
When you get into 17 inch+ prices really start to jump up.

Yeah, picked up a 2000 Civic and was hoping for super cheap 14" tires - not really. A few years ago I could get a 15" set installed for $200 (usually Yoko's). Not anymore. Still cheaper than 17"+, but not the savings I was hoping for.

I remember a couple years ago there was a natural rubber shortage (probably due to Chinese demand and cash for clunker?), and the new rubber trees will start harvesting in 2012. Plus the Chinese tariff, money printing, etc, we are currently in the peak of tire prices.

Problem solved.

I called another nearby Firestone dealer I've used before and they will do the FR710 for $389 installed and out the door, or the Affinity Touring for $393, both in 215-65-15 size.
Needless to say they will be getting my business.

Apparently, the other Firestone place was just not willing to deal for some reason.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I remember a couple years ago there was a natural rubber shortage (probably due to Chinese demand and cash for clunker?), and the new rubber trees will start harvesting in 2012. Plus the Chinese tariff, money printing, etc, we are currently in the peak of tire prices.

I too remember that. I also remember shortly after that, someone posted that the few rubber producing countries in Indochina were forming an OPEC-type cartel to restrict the production of rubber and keep the prices high.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Problem solved.

I called another nearby Firestone dealer I've used before and they will do the FR710 for $389 installed and out the door, or the Affinity Touring for $393, both in 215-65-15 size...

Based on today's prices, that is quite the deal.

Gotta love 15"s. I can't mail-order a no-name set of 235/65R16's for my Odyssey for less than $400, then I gotta find a shop to mount/balance them for me.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back