New Tires Mounted Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of BITOG'ers and petrol heads, the theory goes that most people are more capable of controlling understeer by letting off.

If that non-gearhead is caught unaware by the back coming round there's a good chance they'll panic, and very possibly end up having a worse crash than if the front pushed a bit wide.

(so I was told when I was in college training as a mechanic)

Ultimately I think it's a liability issue..imagine all the soccer moms and grandparents taking their tyre fitter to court claiming
"they put unsafe tyres on my car that made me spin round and crash"

I understand the point of view about new tyres going to the rear, but I don't agree. I'd prefer the front end to grip, particularly on a front drive vehicle.

Besides, when doing a front to rear tyre rotation, say the first one on a car with 10,000km, you're putting the most worn tyres, the front ones, onto the rear, thus creating a situation where the best tyres are now on the front. So what's the difference?

After 10,000km (6,200miles) I would expect little difference between front and rear tires. If there is a marked difference, and it is not from an alignment issue, then more frequent rotations are required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back