New Shell Gas with 20% More Cleaning Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mongo161
I prefer Chevron/Texaco with the Techron....when I can get it....like here in FL. I would take BP over Shell any day of the week....my vehicle runs better on BP than Shell and Shell is supposed to be a top tier gasoline.

I've personally witnessed the tanker truck deliver to the BP station and then drive a few blocks down the road and deliver to the Shell station. Your vehicle must be extremely sensitive.

Yes it does have compartments. It is the same gasoline, different additives. Sometimes it is not even different additives.

Shell pulled funding from alternative fuels and poured funding into marketing ages ago.

This is right when "Top Tier" and all their "enhanced" fuels came out.

People either want the cheapest possible gas...or the gas they think is the absolute best for their cars.

So is Shell better? Who knows. But they sure work hard to make sure it sounds better, in name and on paper.

I saw that banner at my local Shell station too but it doesn't change my mind about using it. This gas cost just too much for my pocket book.....$4.93/regular, $4.99/midgrade and $5.09/supreme!!!!

Durango

My local Shell station is showing $4.29.9 for regular this morning which is a few cents per gallon cheaper than either Chevron or 76. The price is in line with Arco and Costco. Closer to LAX or downtown Los Angeles, the price rises considerably, closer to $4.50 per gallon at most stations.

Gasoline suppliers are not going to have anywhere near the same concentration of cleaners as a bottle of good stuff from the auto parts store.

So any additional cleaner is welcome.
Good for them!

Saw the flags for this promotion at my shell today. Posters at the pump showing the valves with and without shell gas.

So now the price of raw gasoline has risen above the price of the cleaning agents? More cleaning agents per gallon means less pure gas per gallon, and that saves Shell money???

Ethanol is a cleaning agent, but I believe that like any other agent it can leave behind residue of its own, but not much.

OTOH PEA detergent DOES NOT LEAVE ITS OWN RESIDUE BEHIND AT ALL. This is part of what makes certain specific gas additives so good and effective.

It's simple guys. Water and Oil don't mix. Soap lets the two liquids mix. The more detergent they add the more water and gunk they can leave in the mix (stuff that should be byproducts) and cheat us even more.

Ever wonder why we have so much water dripping from tailpipes these days? Believe me, it's not all from condensation. Many including myself believe this is the primary reason they started adding detergents to gasoline in the first place. For keeping fuel systems clean? Yeah right!

Originally Posted By: anklebiter
It's simple guys. Water and Oil don't mix. Soap lets the two liquids mix. The more detergent they add the more water and gunk they can leave in the mix (stuff that should be byproducts) and cheat us even more.

Ever wonder why we have so much water dripping from tailpipes these days? Believe me, it's not all from condensation. Many including myself believe this is the primary reason they started adding detergents to gasoline in the first place. For keeping fuel systems clean? Yeah right!

Do you know what the byproduct of burning gasoline is?

Quote:
Energy is obtained from the combustion of gasoline, the conversion of a hydrocarbon to carbon dioxide and water. The combustion of octane follows this reaction:
2 C8H18 + 25 O2 -> 16 CO2 + 18 H2O

Gasoline contains about 35 MJ/L (9.7 kW·h/L, 132 MJ/US gal, 36.6 kWh/US gal) (higher heating value) or 13 kWh/kg. Gasoline blends differ, and therefore actual energy content varies according to the season to season and producer by up to 4% more or less than the average, according to the US EPA. On average, about 19.5 US gallons (16.2 imp gal; 74 L) of gasoline are available from a 42-US-gallon (35 imp gal; 160 L) barrel of crude oil (about 46% by volume), varying due to quality of crude and grade of gasoline. The remaining residue comes off as products ranging from tar to naptha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline

An instance of actual concentrations of water can leave you stranded on the road, but any water in gas should evaporate out if trace amount and heck there is probably a good amount of moisture in a gas tank from time to time depending on the season.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Proper combustion should have a fair amount of water as a byproduct. Aside from that, cars in the 1970s had the same dripping tailpipe problem. It's far from new.

Yes, but it's getting worse over the years and more water is coming out than back then. I was there, I remember.

And of course there will be water as a byproduct of burning gasoline as OVERK1LL pointed out, but the more there is to start with the bigger the problem in the end result. It's economics. The more they can use from a batch and not process further is money ahead for the oil companies. They've had this figured out for years.

Last edited:
Your drippy tailpipes aren't aren't caused by water in the fuel. Newer cars burn a lot less fuel at idle. That translates to less exhaust gas moving more slowly through the exhaust system and having more time to cool and let the water condense out. Add to that a stainless steel exhaust system that doesn't need a weep hole in the muffler dripping where you don't notice it and you've got more dripping out the tailpipe. I'm not trying to say there isn't more water in the fuel. If your gas has ethanol in it it's going to have more water too, but that isn't why your tailpipe is drippy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back