New Purolator commercial (vs Fram)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone see it? The guy pulls off the cardboard endcap and crushes it while the announcer asks why you would trust cardboard in your filter, or what not.

Ps look at my sig. lol.

just thought it was an interesting commercial .

Originally Posted By: hardcore302

Ps look at my sig. lol.

Well, you only have cardboard end-caps on your toy car...
grin.gif

Yes, I saw it a couple of days ago. I'll bet this new ad is because WalMart is stocking Purolators now. Of course Fram Orange is the dominate color on the oil filter aisle at WalMart so Purolator is trying to differentiate their product from Fram.

I'm glad to see them doing such an informative comparison rather than the usual Madison Avenue sloganeering.

I always liked Metal endcaps better.

It's hard to find anything but a Hastings on my cars, but you may see a Puro from time to time if I was in a pinch. No disrepect to Purolator... but I like my Hastings filters...

Air, Transmission, cabin, oil... all filtered by Hastings.

I am glad that Purolator is getting up the nads to directly bring up build quality of filters. Orange Can and Ecore are easy targets...

Has anyone seen a end cap come off a new filter that easily? I haven't. It seems like Purolator is marketing to the ignorant, maybe that is who they feel buy their filters.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Well eventhough I agree with the argument, this is almost up there with the "Think with your dipstick!" Castrol ads.

These commercials are awesome, I LOL'd watching them. Thanks for the link to the videos.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Has anyone seen a end cap come off a new filter that easily? I haven't. It seems like Purolator is marketing to the ignorant, maybe that is who they feel buy their filters.

Well considering how the endcaps on the fram and the purolator are both loose I think that's irrelevant. The commercial was just making light of something I doubt many fram users are aware off.

Originally Posted By: chambers
The commercial was just making light of something I doubt many fram users are aware off.

+1 its a commercial, not a technical bulletin. Main goal is to entertain and promote their product to those who are not familiar.

using cardboard in serious/dangerous situations in a comedic fashion: entertainment. CHECK.

comparing their product to the competition and tying it in with previous entertainment: Product promotion. CHECK

The average joe just learned not all oil filter as created equal.

advertising 101
------

anyway its late and I just realized I spent to much time analyzing and oil filter commercial. lol

Saw the Purolator "Breakin" commercial. I wonder what was the thought process the guy was going through.

Golf club, golf club...AHA cardboard roll!

Originally Posted By: jhs914
Yes, I saw it a couple of days ago. I'll bet this new ad is because WalMart is stocking Purolators now. Of course Fram Orange is the dominate color on the oil filter aisle at WalMart so Purolator is trying to differentiate their product from Fram.

I'm glad to see them doing such an informative comparison rather than the usual Madison Avenue sloganeering.

crackmeup2.gif

Informative comparison? How about ACTUAL FACTS?

The end caps are NOT cardboard but a fiber material. Just like the filter material but much more dense.

IF there was EVER a "Madison avenue" spew this ad has in it spades.
37.gif

As a long time user of Purolator filters I've bought my last one. I despise marketing that is not factual.

Have any of you guys ever taken a Fram filter apart after use?

Judging by the comments I already know the answer....

+1

Bill

PS: I don't have any Fram filters in the stash (but quite a few Purolators) and have not used many in the last few years.

PPS: If there is another thread on this same subject it will get merged into this one.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

crackmeup2.gif

Informative comparison? How about ACTUAL FACTS?

The end caps are NOT cardboard but a fiber material. Just like the filter material but much more dense.

IF there was EVER a "Madison avenue" spew this ad has in it spades.
37.gif

As a long time user of Purolator filters I've bought my last one. I despise marketing that is not factual.

Have any of you guys ever taken a Fram filter apart after use?

Judging by the comments I already know the answer....

+1

Bill

PS: I don't have any Fram filters in the stash (but quite a few Purolators) and have not used many in the last few years.

PPS: If there is another thread on this same subject it will get merged into this one.

Ok Bill, cardboard is a paper product, paper is composed of moist fibers, so it's not really a huge difference. If the ad had gotten very specific like we are here we would all be bored to tears watching it.

I hope your joking about ditching purolator b/c they ran this ad, that is just ridiculous.

I really don't understand why people buy fram, why buy an inferior product when you can have a better one for the same price.

Originally Posted By: chambers

Ok Bill, cardboard is a paper product, paper is composed of moist fibers, so it's not really a huge difference. If the ad had gotten very specific like we are here we would all be bored to tears watching it.

I hope your joking about ditching purolator b/c they ran this ad, that is just ridiculous.

I really don't understand why people buy fram, why buy an inferior product when you can have a better one for the same price.

Very serious. I've done the same with a certain oil company which I did use their products but then they came out with stupid ads they must need the $$ from others than telling the truth.

Paper fibers which are used to make cardboard are different than what is used in the fiber ends in a Fram filter. The ad is full of mis information, not factual and does not tell the truth. If they lie about one thing what else are they not telling the truth about?

How many filters have their end caps not secured like in the ad? Every Purolator I've opened (MANY) all the caps are glued on to the element just like Fram. Posted photos of both styles. Both WORK the SAME. (ie filter the oil just fine)

If you took your vehicle and the parts were not welded together it would fall apart. I guess GM needs to come out with an ad showing the Corvette body and how strong it is over a stamped sheet metal piece and look how weak the body made out of metal is inferior.

Exactly how are Frams inferior? Number 1 selling filter (I doubt they are being bought and not being used) and still waiting for all the vehicles that have died left and right on the road and in the shops BECAUSE of the oil filter. Personally I've used them over DECADES in MANY vehicles, OPEN EVERYONE after a OCI and NEVER had a SINGLE problem. This would be HUNDREDS of filters. ACTUAL experience.

How many have you PERSONALLY found to be "inferior"? Are there ones that have failed? You bet. Same with Purolator, Wix, Champion and everything else made.

How come most of the cartridge filters use the same construction as Fram filters (prob incl Purolators) with fiber (not cardboard) ends? Are those failing in large numbers? Are they "inferior"?

Nothing personal but just kills me that a board that is based on FACTUAL information and the sharing of such info gets into backing tales which is pure garbage.

I've just seen that Pureone oil filters are to be used with only conventional oil 3 months or 3000 miles unless directed by OEM OCI recommendations. If you run syn oil you need to use their new Synthetic filter which is good for 10,000 miles. Really? More marketing spew.

Which is a better filter? Guess the new Synthetic filter over the Pureones that we have used many miles with excellent results. If fact I've taken the gold ones (and blue Pureones) well past my OEM recommended OCI and nothing went wrong. But now that I've visited their web site I see that their filters are only good to 5,000 miles since that is OCI for my Toyota. I guess they are okay for 7,500 miles in my new vehicle since it has a OCI of 7,500 miles.

Not impressed with them. At least with Fram's advertising they talked about testing their product. Going well over rated pressure and those "inferior" "cardboard" (and I guess defective since they were secured unlike Purolator's ad which showed them loose) end caps that worked.

Take care, bill

I don't think I've ever said I've seen a fram fail. Using metal end caps is a better idea than using paper/fiber IMHO, that's one reason I don't use them. Another is their filtration spec isn't as good as purolator, extra guard 95% at >20 micron vs. 97.5% at 20 micron for purolator. Retail pricing of a fram vs. purolator at my local advance for my vehicle is $0.40 more for fram. I don't have a problem w/ other people using them I just don't see why anyone would when you actually compare them to the competition.

I don't see the issue w/ the ad showing the end caps loose, both filters are shown that way even though they are both glued together in the filter can you buy. It was just a way for them to show the basic inside of the filter and demonstrate the material being used.

Purolators recommendations look very similar to what fram's chart on their site shows. Extended guard for synthetic and syn blend oils and 10k mile OCI, tough guard for syn blend and 7500 mile OCI, and extended guard for 5k mile OCI. Then the note at the bottom "Follow recommended change intervals as noted in your vehicle's owner's manual." How is that drastically different than purolator recommending the syn filter for syn oil and 10k mile OCI. The 3 month/3k mile thing is a bit odd for the pureone page, maybe someone should shoot them an email about that or call. They still have the chart on the regular oil filter page w/ the pureone listed as good for mileage under 15k a year as well as over 15k a year.

I know some people have a bone to pick w/ fram and always seem to start something when they come up on here. This ad seems to have made you feel that way about purolator.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

How come most of the cartridge filters use the same construction as Fram filters (prob incl Purolators) with fiber (not cardboard) ends? Are those failing in large numbers? Are they "inferior"?

FWIW, the German filters companies (Mann, Hengst....etc) all have rigid ends on their cartridges.

Quote:
.....It seems like Purolator is marketing to the ignorant, maybe that is who they feel buy their filters.

Or, maybe it's to the ignorant who now buy the orange can and pay more.
21.gif

It seems more like they are using humor and hyperbole, to point out the difference in filter construction between the orange can and Purolator construction. Now, whether one thinks it's funny would first require having a sense of humor! Lacking that or just not liking Purolator canister oil filters and/or just prefering the orange can exclusively, it would be very difficult to see the humor in it.

All that said, I've not seen any of these on advertisements on tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back