New Pennzoil ULTRA PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Why, why, why, why , why does Pennzoil have the link to their GF-4 Ultra PDS? Such a great line of oils but this is ridiculous.

Shell technical support told me that their IT people are stupid, lazy, and pretty much do what they want when they want; I was stunned. But then again, I have worked at companies in the top 30 of the Fortune 500 and the IT people would tell the VP's to get lost when they made technical requests and there was never a consequence to these employees. Everyone's attitude was that the company needed the IT people even though they sucked at their job.

Originally Posted By: modularv8
Everyone's attitude was that the company needed the IT people even though they sucked at their job.

The sad thing is that I could probably name at least a dozen posters here who would gladly prepare updated sheets for SOPUS at no cost if they were provided the data.

Why, why, why, why , why does Pennzoil have the link to their GF-4 Ultra PDS? Such a great line of oils but this is ridiculous.

Shell technical support told me that their IT people are stupid, lazy, and pretty much do what they want when they want; I was stunned. But then again, I have worked at companies in the top 30 of the Fortune 500 and the IT people would tell the VP's to get lost when they made technical requests and there was never a consequence to these employees. Everyone's attitude was that the company needed the IT people even though they sucked at their job.

Wow, I work in IT and much more is expected of us from our execs than that. Not a fortune 500 company, but a several billion $ company. We are held responsible when things aren't working too.

I find it odd that they revamped the Pennzoil website and everything looks good, except for their flagship product. I know they are aware of the problem, but still no fix. I bet if their Marketing Department were made aware of the problem, there would be a quick response to fix it.

I noticed Ultra was the same price as Platinum for the 5 quart jugs at Walmart today. Been feeding our 2004 Odyssey Platinum since new; might have to give Ultra a try on the next oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tsduke

Wow, I work in IT and much more is expected of us from our execs than that. Not a fortune 500 company, but a several billion $ company. We are held responsible when things aren't working too.

Yeah, I don't even do web design stuff, but if it's data entry that is needed sign me up!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Phishin
So has this been settled? Does Ultra have uber-low NOACK volatility?

There is little doubt that there are errors in the current PU PDS info for their 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils.
Having said that, NOACK is certainly not the be all and end all of a motor oil. PP has good NOACK spec's and since PU is heavier than PP I'm sure their NOACK spec's are lower. Does one really need to know more than that?
As long as the NOACK % is reasonable it is way down the list of oil spec's that I look at in choosing any particular oil.
For example, I very much prefer the viscosity characteristics of PP over PU and since it is cheaper it's a no brainer preferred choice.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Phishin
So has this been settled? Does Ultra have uber-low NOACK volatility?

There is little doubt that there are errors in the current PU PDS info for their 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils.
Having said that, NOACK is certainly not the be all and end all of a motor oil. PP has good NOACK spec's and since PU is heavier than PP I'm sure their NOACK spec's are lower. Does one really need to know more than that?
As long as the NOACK % is reasonable it is way down the list of oil spec's that I look at in choosing any particular oil.
For example, I very much prefer the viscosity characteristics of PP over PU and since it is cheaper it's a no brainer preferred choice.

If PP is your preferred choice of oil between PU and PP, why would Pennzoil market PU as their premium oil, and claim it is better than PU? Their advertisements lead me to believe PU is better in all aspects than PU. Is that the marketing dept working hard at driving PU's price higher when PP might be the better oil? It's really a shame motor oil choices can be complex for those who really care. The same seems to go for the two Castrol Edge products.
21.gif

As I pointed out PU is certainly not "better" in all respects.
What's PU's claim to fame? Better cleaning ability than PP. Okay I'll accept that but that doesn't mean PP is no longer very good at deposit control which we know it is.
It's a matter of choice. If you want or need a somewhat heavier 20wt or 30wt oil and the oil's VI is not that important then PU could be preferable.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
As I pointed out PU is certainly not "better" in all respects.
What's PU's claim to fame? Better cleaning ability than PP. Okay I'll accept that but that doesn't mean PP is no longer very good at deposit control which we know it is.
It's a matter of choice. If you want or need a somewhat heavier 20wt or 30wt oil and the oil's VI is not that important then PU could be preferable.

It's Pennzoil making the claim that PU is the better product, and leading people to believe it's better across the board. I know exactly where you're coming from. There is a lot of hype and B_S in the oil industry that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
Did CATERHAM just suggest that VI may not always be important? Perhaps I misread his post...

Good one GMorg!
Yes if your driving all day long putting on a hundred miles or more in a warm climate with a single "cold" daily start, an oil's VI is not that important.
For example an oil's VI should have little importance to taxi fleet operator.

Originally Posted By: GMorg

For any continuously operated application, VI doesn't matter much.

Right, but I will add that (and this really applies to extreme applications like racing) if one optimizes the viscosity using a high VI oil at normal running temp's you will have a higher safety margin with a high VI oil than with a lower VI oil since the high VI oil will not thin out as much if oil temp's continue to rise. That's one of the reasons why high VI 0W oils are now the leading preferred race oils. It certainly has nothing to do with cold starting at sub freezing temperatures.

This was just posted by a Pennzoil Lubricants Technology Manager in the twitter #PZChat:

Quote:
Dr. Allie Falender @PZ_DrAllie

we are currently using group IV in ultra #motoroil #PZChat

So how much as a % are they using in Ultra and is the current Ultra sitting on the shelves using this formulation with the Group IV?

I still have a few 5$ discount coupons so maybe I should pick up a few jugs.

Is the low Noack they listed (in the 6% range as I recall) on the tech sheets at one point correcct or is the Noack still being debated here?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This was just posted by a Pennzoil Lubricants Technology Manager in the twitter #PZChat:

Quote:

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Quote:

thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back