New Pennzoil Conventional Bottle/New Formula???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
GF-5 SN. It's a good day for the conventional crowd. A good day indeed.

DIN-O-MITE!

I really think some of you are putting the cart before the horse with this one. The only mention of GF-5 on the picture above is in the middle where it says already exceeds 2010 GF-5 requirements. In the actual specs met it says API SM, ILSAC GF-4. So that is where the license is right now, API SM and ILSAC GF-4. It says nothing at all about API SN on that container.

I hope everyone on here does not do what they did to the Ultra. Build it up before it's officially out then tear it down before anyone actually trys it and gives it a chance.

Johnny,

You mean the cart goes behind the horse? I knew I should have used the search feature.

Actually it's gonna be a long time before I get the chance to try the new Yellow Bottle. Those darn synthetic sales and rebates killed me.

Don't worry too much Johnny. This oil right here is a home run. It can only be better than what it replaces and it's replacing what many seem to think is one of the world's best.

I'll even put on a yellow Pennzoil Hat and pose for a photo of you, me and the GF-5 at the annual BITOG BBQ. I just got to get a couple of VOA's done before I figure out which lighter fluid to bring along.

They only have the new bottle and 40% cleaning in the 10w30 flavor at my Walmart. Still the older bottles in the other weights.

Originally Posted By: biodiesel

DIN-O-MITE!

I really think some of you are putting the cart before the horse with this one. The only mention of GF-5 on the picture above is in the middle where it says already exceeds 2010 GF-5 requirements. In the actual specs met it says API SM, ILSAC GF-4. So that is where the license is right now, API SM and ILSAC GF-4. It says nothing at all about API SN on that container.

I hope everyone on here does not do what they did to the Ultra. Build it up before it's officially out then tear it down before anyone actually trys it and gives it a chance.

You're right that it doesn't say anything on the bottle itself about it being API SN, however the information in the chart on the third page of the PDF file linked from this thread clearly states the oils as such. So I'm a bit confused.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003463601_201003012040.pdf

Actually that document claims that only the 10W-40 weight meets the SN specification:

"It meets or exceeds the engine protection required by ILSAC GF-5 (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30), or API SN
(SAE 10W-40), and is specially formulated to provide extra protection against the harmful effects of stop-and-go driving and
high and low-temperature engine operation."

Actually that document claims that only the 10W-40 weight meets the SN specification:

"It meets or exceeds the engine protection required by ILSAC GF-5 (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30), or API SN
(SAE 10W-40), and is specially formulated to provide extra protection against the harmful effects of stop-and-go driving and

Like I said, check the chart on page 3 of the document. It shows them all classified as SN.

Originally Posted By: biodiesel

Like I said, check the chart on page 3 of the document. It shows them all classified as SN.

You're right. It's in the chart. I missed that.

DIN-O-MITE!

Johnny, I disagree with you on this one. You state that it says nothing about API SN on the container in the pic..BUT..in all actuality, it says everything about. So what if it says "SM" in the donut, It says on the back that it exceeds SN. So that really says a lot, and I'm sure you would agree that Sopus wouldn't put that out there if it weren't true. Dont you think?

I don't see on the back of that bottle where it says anything about API SN, only that it exceeds 2010 GF-5, and the GF rating and API rating are two different things. I do believe Shell when they say is exceeds 2010 GF-5 because GF-5 guidelines have been established and the license will be coming out later this year. But, the API SN guidelines have not had a final vote and until they do, I don't think anyone can make that claim. I know someone here posted a TDS from Shell that said that, but that has been removed from Shell's site for the time being. Some clerk that types up the TDS sheets got a little ahead of themselves. If nothing changes with what API wants for the SN rating, then I would think this oil meets that spec, but if API wants to add something else to this, the formulation might have to be changed.

Until everything goes in to effect, I will consider what's in the donut to be what's in the bottle.

Yea, could be Pennzoil are just "revving up" their promotion for when the time comes that they fully become API SN certified as per the donut on the back of the bottle
wink.gif

Very interesting. Johnny is right. That PDF file I linked above that was on the first page of this thread, showing all the oils as SN has now been killed. When I try to bring it up it throws an error.

Did anyone happen to right click and save it to their computer?

I don't see on the back of that bottle where it says anything about API SN, only that it exceeds 2010 GF-5, and the GF rating and API rating are two different things. I do believe Shell when they say is exceeds 2010 GF-5 because GF-5 guidelines have been established and the license will be coming out later this year. But, the API SN guidelines have not had a final vote and until they do, I don't think anyone can make that claim. I know someone here posted a TDS from Shell that said that, but that has been removed from Shell's site for the time being. Some clerk that types up the TDS sheets got a little ahead of themselves. If nothing changes with what API wants for the SN rating, then I would think this oil meets that spec, but if API wants to add something else to this, the formulation might have to be changed.

Until everything goes in to effect, I will consider what's in the donut to be what's in the bottle.

I stand corrected!! :) Thanks Johnny. But I will say that Sopus's claim that it exceeds 2010 GF5 standards impresses me and I love PYB. It continues to prove itself a top notch product.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt!! It's greatness is one of the many reasons I'll never use or have a need to use synthetic oil given my climate and driving style, and wastefull OCI habits. LOL. Well, maybe not as bad as others. I will run it at least 4k, while others will change much sooner.

Last edited:
At my Wally, there is now a new Pennzoil Platinum label for the 1 quart bottles. It is styled the same as the PU labels.

It no longer mentions "cleans up to 46% of sludge", but now says "keeps pistons 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standard"

Quote:
Low-friction formula helps improve gas mileage (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30) compared to higher
viscosities or the GF-4 and earlier service categories.

Looks like Shell is ahead of the game.

The new bottle of both platinum and ultra both say on the back that they exceed the 2010 GF-5. I noticed that they changed all of the bottles of the yellow, high mileage, and platinum. Now the basic yellow says it cleans out 40% of sludge instead of just 15%. The high mileage says the same thing which bummed me out cause I just put the "old" bottle of the high mileage in the car. Besides seeing the 5 quart jug different at walmart I also have seen them change the 1 quart bottle as well.

Either way its a great oil that will fit most of our needs without a big hit on the wallet. I have a lot of faith in this oil and will continue to use it in all of my cars except my new toyota with 2/25k service and toyota 0w20. Other wise I will use it in my other cars with out hesitation. PYB all the way!!! I also don't think they changed the formula because if you compare the last two TDS reports specs are the sames. I would imagine that the change occurred when they reformulated last time in 2008. Not sure but that is my best guess.

Speaking of Pennzoil API-SN oils and the GF-5 rating, I have a question about the Pennzoil HM API-SN oil.

I noticed on the current API-SN bottles of Pennzoil High Mileage, all weights, that the GF-5 rating is not longer on the quarts or large jugs sold at Walmart.

Is there a reason that the current production of Pennzoil HM oils no longer has the GF rating?

When I look at the Pennzoil HM API-SM oils they all have the GF-4 rating on the bottle.

Has something changed with the formulation or the add pack?

Does anyone have an explanation.....maybe Johnny knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back