New Panasonic Microwave=Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NN-H765B...d=22BZ16YDKE0QR for Xmas from the parents. Replaced an old Samsung that I got back in '00. The Samsung was a .7 Cu Ft 700w model. Needed this new one so the wife's new Pampered Chef cookware would fit inside. 1250watts is quite an upgrade! Loving it so far! Amazon was over $50 cheaper than Best Buy too and had free shipping. Parents said they had it in 2 days.

We just bought a version of this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NN-SN661...1921&sr=1-1
from Target @ $129 - $30 gift card. We have been happy with it so far. It replaced an $18 Sharp .7/700 watt from an HH Gregg Grand Opening (5 years old-door latch broke.) Previous two prior to the Sharp were Samsungs. Like this one as well as the first Panasonic I bought in 1984 when I graduated college. Hope it lasts awhile.

I'll probably buy a new over the range microwave in the next week or so.Great sales around..
I have a Whirlpool that's 11 years old.
Probably go Whirlpool again.

Just an FYI Whirlpool just laid off 3,000 workers and is in the process of moving things overseas. They are having serious Quality issues right now.
I was shopping for a oven between Thanksgiving and Christmas and the electrician at Home Depot, as well as the Fix It guy who fixed my folks fridge, both said to steer clear of Whirlpool.
Also, they both said Maytag and Whirlpool are the same company the only difference is the facade.

Kinda scary that the guy at Home Depot steers you away from a company that makes something like 1/2 their stock.

I got a GE oven, and so far it has done great.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Just an FYI Whirlpool just laid off 3,000 workers and is in the process of moving things overseas. They are having serious Quality issues right now.
I was shopping for a oven between Thanksgiving and Christmas and the electrician at Home Depot, as well as the Fix It guy who fixed my folks fridge, both said to steer clear of Whirlpool.
Also, they both said Maytag and Whirlpool are the same company the only difference is the facade.

Kinda scary that the guy at Home Depot steers you away from a company that makes something like 1/2 their stock.

I got a GE oven, and so far it has done great.

Interesting.
Some Sears Kenmore is Whirlpool too.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
It replaced an $18 Sharp .7/700 watt from an HH Gregg Grand Opening

This might sound goofy but I'd love a microwave that lame right-powered to run during power outages, so my generator isn't overloaded. Maybe I should just get an EZ-bake oven.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino

This might sound goofy but I'd love a microwave that lame right-powered to run during power outages, so my generator isn't overloaded. Maybe I should just get an EZ-bake oven.
lol.gif

It did the job for five years and was adequate. Anything higher powered is merely overkill.

Originally Posted By: Colt
Seeing 21 one star ratings would scare me out of buying that model.
So less than 13% of people who bothered to write a review give it that rating and that is enough for you? I think the consensus is that Panasonic makes one he77 of a microwave.

After 10 years, we replaced a full size GE profile (still works but is weakening) with a new Panny midsize "flat and wide" model.

It has no turntable, you can use the entire floor so it holds more than the much bigger GE, and the inverter technology cooks fantastically better than cycling at full power like the older model.

But we'll be happy if it holds up for three years. Despite the performance improvements, new countertop mics are not as durable as back in the day.

I think part of the problem is that many microwaves are sold below cost. Asia is chock full of modern, efficient plants and smart workers who are looking for a high tech product to make at high volume for low cost. Once the new market is saturated than you must sell replacement products for cost and hope for something new. VCR, Microwave, CD'S, DVD's, digital cameras, motherboards, LCD TV's, anything with high value content and high demand if low cost to keep the factory running.I wonder if Panasonic even make their units and, if so, where. I DO have a Pana and like, except for non illuminated keypad.

No way, I JUST bought one of these hours ago from "XS Cargo" a surplus store. I got it primarily for the inverter controlled magnetron. Brought it home, tried it out, the carousel motor didn't work.
frown.gif
Disappoint. Not wanting to deal with the hassle of returning it and trying another one, I quickly ripped into it. What's great about globalisation is the standardization of parts! I replaced the synchronous motor with the one of from our old Danby; looks like a better motor too. Reviews on the Panasonic have raised the issue of DOA turntable motors. I love the unit, so I'm glad one weak part is out of the way. Next, I checked out the magnetron- standard part number, unbranded, clearly says "MADE IN CHINA". Another worrisome part, I just swapped it for the magnetron from the old Danby- it's made by Toshiba. Standard mounting points and dimensions ensure a flawless swapout. SO now my new Panasonic microwave has a Toshiba magnetron from a Danby. lol. Just spent the last two hours doing all that and testing it out.

dwcopple, congrats on the purchase! Some words of advice; this thing is powerful... like be careful how long you set food or else you'll incinerate it-powerful!! Good lord, I'm going to have to hit the POWER LEVEL button a few times down to 70-80% on the regular, that inverter is efficient (even powering the exact same magnetron I've been using for years in my old oven)! Longevity is yet to be seen from the inverter power supply and the swapped magnetron.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
So less than 13% of people who bothered to write a review give it that rating and that is enough for you? I think the consensus is that Panasonic makes one he77 of a microwave.

Yes,13% of people wrote a negative review is an issue for me.
10% is an issue to me.Even less % on some more expensive items.
You have that Panasonic unit for 10 minutes and it's 'awesome'.
You already have a person in this thread who had a problem with your unit.
Cheap turn table system that went and it has a cheap Chinese made magnetron.

Yeah, most people would be wise to take the extended warranty in this case. It's kinda sad that Panasonic has typically made some of the longest lasting microwaves around. For the past ten years, though, they've been the cheap chinese special. They used to use their own components like Matsushita (Panasonic) magnetrons too, made in Japan, now I don't even think the magnetron is a Matsushita design. Disappointing yes, but I wasn't mad about it; I've accepted that that's just how it is in this day. I have confidence in the new, old magnetron and turntable drive motor in my unit now, the rest of the oven seems reasonably sturdy just not too sure about the inverter itself. Probably made with the cheapest chinese components is what worries me. On the other hand, this version of the inverter is something like the 3rd generation - so it's all up in the air. The new generic chinese mag from the Panasonic is back in the old Danby (which now doesnt have a functioning turntable) and works 'fine' so far.
21.gif

FWIW, day two and she's still doing well. The ability to throttle the radio energy back and heat food more gradually actually does leave the food tasting more "original".

Just a slight note of caution for you. We had a 12000 Watt Microwave a few years ago, and it drew sooo much surge current at start up that it fried the stud for the circuit breaker on the fuse box. It was interesting that the breaker was good but the surge was too short of a time to trip it.

Anyhow, I cleaned that stud with some scotch-brite and assigned that slot to a circuit that did not draw much. Then I moved the Microwave plug wire to a new lug with a new breaker, and replaced the 1200 Watt with a 800 Watt Wall-Mart. I put a current transformer on the wire and loaded the current transformer with a resistor, and looked at the start up surge with a Tektronix 468 digital storage scope. The 800 Watt unit draws over 100 amps for the first half of a cycle every time it power up the huge capacitor to run the magnetron. The second half cycle still pulled something like 40 amps, and this was the smaller 800 Watt unit.

One thing to realize is that the magnetron is either on or off, there is no variable on them. The way microwave ovens provide slow heating is to cycle the magnetron on and off. Every time it turns on, the huge surge current of charging up the huge filter capacitor hammers the power system feading it.

So, you might want to hold on to the old smaller microwave oven in case your electric system can not handle the repeated abuse of the surge current that 1200 Watt Microwave oven hits it with every time it powers up the filter capacitor to supply DC for the magnetron.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

lol.gif

A toaster oven (even if its wattage is more than the microwave) is a better choice when you run from a generator as long the total load does not exceed the rating of the generator. Toaster ovens are resistive heat, and there is no surge, except for possibly a few watts for the ones with a small internal air circulation fan. Still nothing compared to the huge surge to charge up the filter huge capacitor in a microwave oven.

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor

Yeah, most people would be wise to take the extended warranty in this case. It's kinda sad that Panasonic has typically made some of the longest lasting microwaves around. For the past ten years, though, they've been the cheap chinese special. They used to use their own components like Matsushita (Panasonic) magnetrons too, made in Japan, now I don't even think the magnetron is a Matsushita design. Disappointing yes, but I wasn't mad about it; I've accepted that that's just how it is in this day. I have confidence in the new, old magnetron and turntable drive motor in my unit now, the rest of the oven seems reasonably sturdy just not too sure about the inverter itself. Probably made with the cheapest chinese components is what worries me. On the other hand, this version of the inverter is something like the 3rd generation - so it's all up in the air. The new generic chinese mag from the Panasonic is back in the old Danby (which now doesnt have a functioning turntable) and works 'fine' so far.
21.gif

FWIW, day two and she's still doing well. The ability to throttle the radio energy back and heat food more gradually actually does leave the food tasting more "original".

I guess it's hard to get a microwave without Chinese parts today.
I was talking to a sales rep at Sears and was told he doubts any microwave today will last 10-11 years like my Whirlpool has.
Interesting point that Jim brought up on the 1200 watts and the electric curcuit.
1200 watts is no doubt overkill.I'm looking to stay with 1000 watts in an over the range under cabinet model.

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor
. What's great about globalisation is the standardization of parts! .

Yes, the most notable standard is that the parts are all uniformly junk and almost all of them come China.

Last edited:
I really loved the panasonic microwave ovens we owned when they actually worked right, eventually they all led to being a fire hazard after about a year or so. even when panasonic offered a free shipping label to send it and get it replaced ,it wasnt even worth it anymore to be honest. i figured it was a fluke with the first one or two messed up but then it was just trend. Luckily this cuisinart from macys hasnt left me hungry few years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back