new oil filter :ok to put oil in before use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see a problem with it, i've done it on occasion
smile.gif
I know if it's a vertically mounted oil filter, a lot of people tend to pre-fill them. If it's horizontal like mine, I don't bother to put oil in it first, and it still starts fine.

I do. Never a issue.

Even with a horizonal one, I put in some oil to get the element damp.

Bill

I will on a filter that is more vertical than not. I don't get crazy about trying to get it full, just what I can get in in a couple minutes.

I have owned vehicles over the years, where the vehicle manual states to pour 4 to 6 ounces of new oil in a new filter before mounting the oil filter on the vehicle.

I do it with vetical and horizontal filter mounts without any problems. I have used this technique for years without any messes or mishaps.

Filter is on the discharge of the pump. If you put it on dry the pump has to fill the filter before oil can start lubricating the engine.

People pre-fill oil filters for the same reason they worry about the quality of the ADBV (anti-drain back valve.) They want to minimize "dry-starting" their engine.

but i don't think that will make a big difference.... isnt it? if it does it probably will state on the instruction or menu or something like that right?

Quote:

The main argument against involves the purity of new oils. There can be particulate matter in new oils from the blending and filling facility.

Your statement makes no sense at all. Clean oil is the only kind of oil you would fill a new filter with regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back