New Michelin Primacy MXM4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I agree. I had mine put on at DT today. Michelin Primacy MXM4 205/55/hr16. Absolutely the quietest new tire I have ever had! Day 1 dry traction was good. But, man, these are some quiet and smooth tires! They look great too! Nice rim protector. Not much else to say above that so far, but, I am happy with the purchase so far.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Yeah, I agree. I had mine put on at DT today. Michelin Primacy MXM4 205/55/hr16. Absolutely the quietest new tire I have ever had! Day 1 dry traction was good. But, man, these are some quiet and smooth tires! They look great too! Nice rim protector. Not much else to say above that so far, but, I am happy with the purchase so far.

If you don't mind me asking, how much money were these tires out the door(OTD)? Do these MXM4's have the $70 Michelin Rebate?

My buddy put the MXV4's on his car and loves'em!

Quote:
The Michelin rebate is over I believe.

Over for now. Give it ~3-6 weeks, and it will likely be back. Places like DT/DTD, TR and Treadepot tend to rotate the offers over different brands and then come back to a brand. Can't say whether Michelin will come back with a rebate for the independents at the same time, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I just put new tires on our Corolla, and considered Michelins briefly, but the price/value was just too poor. I took Bill's lead and ended up with the Pirelli P4s in 195/65-15. OTD was $425.90 at Discount, the Michelins would have been $200+ more for less of a tire.

This is usually my/our concern about Michelin Tires(price/value factor). Although I have had Michelin's in the past(cars that came with them), I have never bought Michelin Tires after market. I don't knock Michelin's as I have had good success with the ones that we had but, when it came time to replace them, it was sticker shock so, I settled for other brands.

Lately, due to the way that we have been buying tires(online/W*M install), we have been making really good choices and have been very happy with our choices right to the end of the tires life. I and others in my "circle" of friends/family, do expect a lemon sometime in the future even with a high rated/scoring tire. But, so far, so good!(P4's, KR-21's, Avid TRZ, G/Y ACT's, H727's, CS4's, Altimax RT's etc.) We do have family/friends using HydroEdge and MXV4's but most others are trying to stay away from Michelin prices due to having miltiple vehicles in the household.

And I do agree that Michelin make a great tire(s) and for those who don't want to search reviews/rating can certainly go ahead and buy Michelin tires with confidence and sleep well. Because of owning 3-4 and sometimes 5 vehicles myself, I want a bit better value as it can become very costly to keep in Michelin tires.

At the price I got into these Primacy MXM4's, I couldn't pass it up. DT is very good about price matching, and even Hankooks would have only been about $30 less. Yes, Michelin is expensive, but with a little research, and price matching, they can be very reasonable. Just do a search and you can find them for great deals online to get a price to price match.

We purchase 4-6 sets of tires a year, so we have tried them all. In both heavy duty and lighter duty truck use the Michelins are by far the CHEAPEST tire. They last up to three times longer than others we have owned!

I just bought Hankooks for my car based partly on sticker shock, though. The Michelins were 1600.00 and the Hankooks were under 800.00. Plus the size I wanted was out of stock in Michelins.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Most people knocking Michelins have never had the joy of owning them.

Just to clarify, I've owned or driven on 3 different sets, and 'joy' would be the last word I'd use to describe them:

- MXV4+ Energy on my '00 Accord V6: one of the worst tires I've ever owned: it was comfortable, but that's about it. Dry/wet/snow grip was pitiful. Sidewalls were awfully soft, despite being V-rated, so steering response was terrible, but I guess it wasn't meant to be a performance tire, so OK.

- Pilot Alpin on my '01 A4: it was supposed to be a dedicated winter tire, but my car felt unstable in the snow with this tire, despite having AWD. Fiance's FWD Jetta with Nokian WR tires felt more confident in the white stuff.

- Energy something (can't recall the exact model) on my father's Nissan Primera: again, comfortable, and nothing else. Poor dry grip (it would squeal at every corner), and poor wet grip as well. When it was time to get new tires, I convinced them to go with Bridgestone Turanza ER300 and he liked them a lot more.

Now, I'm not saying all Michelin tires are bad, but more often than not, you can find a less expensive alternative that will be just as good if not better performing.

No offense to anyone, but when I hear Michelin, I think of Bose.

YMMV

I'm with you on all your posts here abour Michelins. I've had 4 different cars come with them and I could not wait to get rid of them. As for Quality? I've never had any issues out of a tire from any other maker.

Michelin is living on a great past reputation, just like other brands do..Toyota, Xerox, except that now there are other options that are more cost effective and in many cases better.

Did anyone even notice I said on TRUCKS!

We buy LOTS of tires, not a few every couple years. I have used Bridgestone, BF Goodrich, General, and just about any other brand you can name. NONE even come close to the LTX series, even years ago. Traction, treadwear, NVH, lifespan. All are exemplary and way better than any other offering we have used.

I really know very little about their car tires, as all I've ever purchased were Pilots for my various track cars, mostly vettes. They were exceptional also, but short lived!

YMMV.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
The Michelin rebate is over I believe.

Over for now. Give it ~3-6 weeks, and it will likely be back. Places like DT/DTD, TR and Treadepot tend to rotate the offers over different brands and then come back to a brand. Can't say whether Michelin will come back with a rebate for the independents at the same time, but it wouldn't surprise me.

As said, it's back now at DT/DTD thru 10/22. $70 Michelin Visa rebate

I used to purchase tires for a pipeline contractor. On one job in Oregon our crews were getting 15-20 flats a week and Goodyear tires were having big time side wall failures. I changed all the pickup tires to Michelin's 10 ply E rated LTX's and for the next 4 months, we never had a flat or a side wall problem. On my F-250, I run Michelins and nothing else.

Pap

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Michelin is living on a great past reputation, just like other brands do..Toyota, Xerox, except that now there are other options that are more cost effective and in many cases better.

That's ridiculous. They spend around $600-700 million dollars a year in R&D? That doesn't exactly sound like a company trading on its name.

The MXV4's on my Freestyle will probably make it to 100K. Which is more than 3X what the Pirelli P6's which came with the car. $ per mile, this is probably the cheapest tire available for my car; and in my size (225/60 18), they handle well wet or dry and are very quiet.

Bumping this...

For you early adopters, any new impressions? I'm looking hard at these for the Cruze in 215/55-17 when the OEM Goodyears wear out. Those have pretty good dry grip, and poor wet grip.

I ran my MXM4's for about 6k until I mounted my winter steelies. In a nutshell: I really like them. Great in the rain, corner well and are reasonably quiet on my Elantra. As for MPG- I did not experience any gain or loss when they replaced the LRR KH-16's.

I had the Pilot MXM4's on my Fusion SEL and they were good tires but Michelin Primacy 60k tire isn't the same tire. They priced themselves right off my car. I went with the BFG Touring TA's and saved $65ea.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Thanks! Sounds like they will meet my wishes of a quiet, good-riding, fuel-efficient tire.

Did you ever buy these Michelins? What are your impressions of the tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back