New Harbor Freight Trailer

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Little utility trailers make things a lot easier, having 2 different ones means I don't need a truck sitting around. And these days the prices of trailers are insane.

Looks like Harbor Freight is coming out with a new little utility trailer that is cheap and decent quality. Is pretty customizable too.

5x10? not bad. Too big for my vehicles, but plenty of times I did wish my 4x8 was just a pinch bigger.

Now I just need a tow vehicle again!

• Wow
Reactions: D60
HUH? Any one of those on your list will tow that.
Both the Corolla and Camry hybrid are listed as "do not tow, don't even install a trailer hitch, you're a bad person to even think about that" in the owners manuals.

After reading up on how to install a hitch onto my Corolla, I'm not sure it's good enough for a bike rack. I mean, I've put trailer hitches onto unibody cars before, drilled holes and thought not twice about it--but this one, it looks like tissue paper and not a whole lot of strength. Throw in a glass transmission and I'm not interested.

And the hybrid is the wife's and usually not around. The CRV is often gone on the weekends too, and TBH I'm not sure I trust it.

That leaves the ancient Camry, which does have a trailer hitch, and I have towed with it. I think I got up to 1,500lb behind it, and it left a lot to be desired. Go up a size to 5x10 and... going to say nope here. [Did I mention that it's getting a bit old now?]

Case in point:

When I was in England last summer nobody had trucks pulling campers. They were almost always modern station wagons of some sort, or Land Rover/Range Rover for the fancier people.

Though I think their campers have less tongue weight and are lower.

A707A431-38A9-41C9-A1EE-645E0F487B1F.jpeg

yep Different interface and tongue weight spec.. also lower towing speed limit?

Both the Corolla and Camry hybrid are listed as "do not tow, don't even install a trailer hitch, you're a bad person to even think about that" in the owners manuals.

After reading up on how to install a hitch onto my Corolla, I'm not sure it's good enough for a bike rack. I mean, I've put trailer hitches onto unibody cars before, drilled holes and thought not twice about it--but this one, it looks like tissue paper and not a whole lot of strength. Throw in a glass transmission and I'm not interested.

And the hybrid is the wife's and usually not around. The CRV is often gone on the weekends too, and TBH I'm not sure I trust it.

That leaves the ancient Camry, which does have a trailer hitch, and I have towed with it. I think I got up to 1,500lb behind it, and it left a lot to be desired. Go up a size to 5x10 and... going to say nope here. [Did I mention that it's getting a bit old now?]
Yeah, 1500-1800lb is about the limit for normal-ish driving unbraked with a 3-4k lb vehicle.
Does the 21 corolla have the direct shift 1st gear cvt? That makes it pretty bomb proof for low speed torque and in Australia they rate it for 2700+lb braked.
I'm sure you could get a 2" receiver hitch for it.

Does the 21 corolla have the direct shift 1st gear cvt? That makes it pretty bomb proof for low speed torque and in Australia they rate it for 2700+lb braked
Nope, the 1.8L Corollas got a K313 with no "launch gear" but the 2.0's got the K120 with it. Mine sorta feels doggy off the line, but I rarely push the thing so it's not much of an issue, never really gave it the beans from a standing start.

@skyactiv ,This is current from a USA VW dealer's website:
Volkswagen Model Towing Capacity
Volkswagen Jetta Towing Not Recommended
Volkswagen Tiguan 2,200 lbs.
Volkswagen Atlas 2000 - 5000 lbs.
Volkswagen Touareg 7,716 lbs.
Volkswagen CC Towing Not Recommended
Volkswagen Routan (Discontinued) 2,000 To 3,600 lbs.
Volkswagen Beetle (All Variations) Towing Not Recommended
Volkswagen Golf (All Variations) Towing Not Recommended
Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 2,000 lbs.

@skyactiv ,This is current from a USA VW dealer's website:
Volkswagen Model Towing Capacity
Volkswagen Jetta Towing Not Recommended
Volkswagen Tiguan 2,200 lbs.
Volkswagen Atlas 2000 - 5000 lbs.
Volkswagen Touareg 7,716 lbs.
Volkswagen CC Towing Not Recommended
Volkswagen Routan (Discontinued) 2,000 To 3,600 lbs.
Volkswagen Beetle (All Variations) Towing Not Recommended
Volkswagen Golf (All Variations) Towing Not Recommended
Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 2,000 lbs.
I think the difference in tow ratings here vs ROW, is a bit of a comment on how manufacturers view the driving skills/habits of north american drivers.... Or maybe the US legal system...

Nope, the 1.8L Corollas got a K313 with no "launch gear" but the 2.0's got the K120 with it. Mine sorta feels doggy off the line, but I rarely push the thing so it's not much of an issue, never really gave it the beans from a standing start.
Ok, those in Australia do have no tow rating at all either, so maybe its better safe than sorry.

I think the difference in tow ratings here vs ROW, is a bit of a comment on how manufacturers view the driving skills/habits of north american drivers.... Or maybe the US legal system...
Irrelevant. It makes no difference what they can do where ever that video was shot, VW USA says no version of a Golf is suitable for towing.

To me these are for short runs to Home Depot, even the '99 should be able to handle that.

Back