New Grand Cherokee miserably fails moose test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see comparable suvs in this test. This is not a car, its an suv. How would similar ( tahoe,explorer etc) suvs perform in this test?

Well the video does show two competitors not even coming close to rolling.

Chrysler fired back at this test saying the car was improperly loaded (100lb over maximum allowable) but the magazine retorted with this:

Due to a complete incorrect statement by Chrysler, many people believe that we performed the first moose test with 50 kilos (110 lbs) overload in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is not the least bit true. We performed the first moose test with 100 kilos (220 lbs) less than the maximum payload (602 kilos/1 327 lbs) that is registered for the car, a figure which officially comes from Jeep/Chrysler.

I'd like to see how an '04 or older model with solid axles would do. Seems like they took away one of the best attributes of the GC and it still handles like [censored]! What's the point?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
It could not be duplicated with Chrysler watching.

Instead they just kept de-beading tires. :)

I'm more concerned over why the tire kept blowing out.

was it an actual tire carcass failure or did the side force pop the bead off the rim?

But it passed another moose test:

"The German magazine Auto Motor und Sport (AMS) used the same Grand Cherokee Overland CRD press vehicle as did the Swedes. However, their "moose test" differed slightly from the Swedish test; the German magazine used an ISO (International Standards Organization) test. AMS tested the Jeep at an Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club (ADAC) test facility, a well-regarded automotive testing organization. Unlike the results of the Swedish test, the Jeep remained secure in the AMS test; it did not go up on two wheels or debead tires"

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/201...moose-test.html

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I'm more concerned over why the tire kept blowing out.

was it an actual tire carcass failure or did the side force pop the bead off the rim?

Hard to tell from the vid, but their website suggested that the tire bead failed from the stress and the wheel rolled right off.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
But it passed another moose test:

"The German magazine Auto Motor und Sport (AMS) used the same Grand Cherokee Overland CRD press vehicle as did the Swedes. However, their "moose test" differed slightly from the Swedish test; the German magazine used an ISO (International Standards Organization) test. AMS tested the Jeep at an Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club (ADAC) test facility, a well-regarded automotive testing organization. Unlike the results of the Swedish test, the Jeep remained secure in the AMS test; it did not go up on two wheels or debead tires"

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/201...moose-test.html

Yes, but...they go on to say:

Note that there are many variables here. AMS ran a different test with a different driver on a different surface on a different day compared to the Swedes. Any of these variables could result in different results than the Swedish test.

Consumer Reports has previously taken issue with Grand Cherokee handling. In our double-lane-change avoidance maneuver, a 2011 model skidded and hopped sideways on several runs (see video). A V8 version we tested later didn't exhibit that problem.

So, swerve if it's an ADAC moose; hit it if it's a Swedish moose.

Got it.

I would think that it would be hard or imposssible to build a vehicle that is off road capable that is completely safe on road... After all, it IS a Jeep.

I too, would like to see it compared with some of it's peers.

Do you really consider the new Grand Cherokee off road capable? I'd consider it to be very capable on rough roads, but for off road use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back