Restoring the ‘96 Cherokee

Lol! "Something like" not being specific. Any peppy turbo 4 cylinder would be fine.

Not like what they have in the Jeeps these days, yuck.
IMG_8786.jpg

Sorry folks, the 4.0 was the perfect engine for this vehicle, with the Aisin transmission behind it. The amount of immediate low end torque that engine put out was perfect for off roading and just everyday driving. My mother had a '90 with the wheels atikovi is lobbying for, that thing was a beast.

Sorry folks, the 4.0 was the perfect engine for this vehicle, with the Aisin transmission behind it. The amount of immediate low end torque that engine put out was perfect for off roading and just everyday driving. My mother had a '90 with the wheels atikovi is lobbying for, that thing was a beast.
Just need a 2nd radiator strapped above the windshield like a giant light bar to cool the **** thing in Arizona 🤣

• Love
Reactions: D60
For about what it will cost to repaint the steel wheels, you could put on these oem aluminum wheels,

One of the nicer looking wheels ever made.
What's with the reverse "Jeep" logo on 2 of the wheels pictured?

4.0L stroked to 4.6L is actually perfect. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Lol! "Something like" not being specific. Any peppy turbo 4 cylinder would be fine.

A 1UZ engine will work with your transmission. You will need the bellhousing and pump from the Toyota, however. There's a few XJs running around with that engine 😉

Also keep the steelies. Those are the best looking steel wheels from that era IMO

Just need a 2nd radiator strapped above the windshield like a giant light bar to cool the **** thing in Arizona 🤣

The platform wasn't designed for an inline 6. Just a 4 cyl or v6 and the older AMC-era XJs had larger radiators on the i4 and v6 engines. I've seen some people out west add generic heater cores with fans on them to extract more heat. Smaller than a traditional radiator but still allows for more radiation.

VW TDI would get it done, but I think you're a little sensitive to them :ROFLMAO:

Have you considered having the DOT labels (or something like them) remade?

Pretty sure I remember a Renault diesel available on the earlier models. That's the engine to have in these.

Yes, I think it was a 3.0 liter V6. Never saw one but I read about a guy that found a low mileage one a year or two ago and it ran!

Yes, I think it was a 3.0 liter V6. Never saw one but I read about a guy that found a low mileage one a year or two ago and it ran!
Here you go,
Yup, 2.1L 4 cylinder. From what I've heard they were junk reliability with very little power, and parts in the U.S. are nearly impossible to find.

VW TDI would get it done, but I think you're a little sensitive to them :ROFLMAO:

Have you considered having the DOT labels (or something like them) remade?
Nah, I want it to look exactly like it always has, and how it was when I was young going on trips in it with my grandpa. Although tasteful upgrades like seats or stereo etc. is ok with me. I won't even update the headlights to non-halogens, doesn't look right to me. My dad is always trying to get me to lift it, put a light bar and roof rack on it, and big tires but no way. I may do that one day with another one, but this one will stay true to itself.

Back