New formulation G-oil VOA!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd say this VOA is an error...no way for the prices they sell it for that they are using this much additive in it.

I'd say too good to be true......

The UOA # seem a bit higher than they should be (especially P), but there is no question in my mind, they additive pack is beefed up. The high calcium # correlate with high TBN.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I'm still not clear on how you tell the old from the new?

Look for the #19 stock car on the label.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I'm still not clear on how you tell the old from the new?

The 5qt jugs are a different shape. They look like their 1qt bottles with ridges on one side. In the picture in the first post of the 3 1-quart bottles, you can see the 2 bottles on the right have a different label. The 5qt jug should look obviously different.

Last edited:
Hmm... Makes me think that GET is trying to position this product as an Ultra Premium.

The old formulation performed well, but a lot of people were concerned about extended drain intervals, even meeting the OLM on their vehicles. This formulation may give people more confidence to actually spend the $26 and run it as long as they might run a product in the same price range.

That isn't to say that the additives tell the whole story, but there is a lot of "perceived" value and "perceived" protection in an oil with a high TBN. However, there is nothing that truly warrants that as long as wear is within acceptable limits.

I'm not too concerned about the lack of an API SN certification. Comparable synthetics like RP and Amsoil were similar even when they were more commonly found on retail shelves. It could be an issue of cost. It could be an issue of formulation. The certification covers more than just the oil's level of protection. API SN is largely about resource conservation and compatibility with newer emissions standards and fuel formulations in some cars.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Phos is 884 ppm. Can't be SM or SN. Must be SL.
I don't remember an oil with more Ca.

I though the strict phosphorus limits came from ILSAC, not API.

Quote:
In addition, some bench tests are not required in API SN or their limits are somewhat relaxed. There is no phosphorus maximum (although there is a 0.06 percent weight minimum), nor are there any limits for sulfur content.

http://www.imakenews.com/eletra/refer.cfm?z=b11,b1LlBmL,b11,bj4sydW

Can't get the link to work. It's from the Dec. 23, 2009 edition of Lube Report.

-Dennis

Last edited:

Some of the analyses on JD +50 (pre CJ4), and all the analyses of Texas Refinery Pro-Spec III show more Ca.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Some of the analyses on JD +50 (pre CJ4), and all the analyses of Texas Refinery Pro-Spec III show more Ca.

Charlie

Those are HDEO though, not PCMO.

Looks like they are selling G-oil in europe too. That might be why they beefed up the additives to meet euro standards. Article can be found here. Financially they must be doing well enough to expand. I come to respect them, as a think outside the box type of company and I hope they survive.

I just picked up 5qt jug of their new bottles ( it says full synthetic in smalll writting now )

They are SM not SN

If they tweaked things , its not related to SN/SM.

They have fully abandon their synth blend model , so it must be whats diffrent now. You no longer find that model on their website.

Last edited:
The new formulation specs look very good. The only thing I'll miss is the high viscosity index of the old formula. VI is not listed in the specs, but I assume it changed. The kinematic viscosity at 40C has gone up from 55cst to 60.4cst. This does look in-line with most other 5W30 formulations.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
The new formulation specs look very good. The only thing I'll miss is the high viscosity index of the old formula. VI is not listed in the specs, but I assume it changed. The kinematic viscosity at 40C has gone up from 55cst to 60.4cst. This does look in-line with most other 5W30 formulations.

The VI went down by only 1.5; from 172 to 170.5. The 100C cst is now 10.7, not 10.0.

It could be lab variation. I only paid $10 for the analysis.

The Iron and Aluminum trace quantities do look odd. Let's hope it's from measurement error or contamination of the sample.

Since I would like 10k for OCI's, maybe mixing the old formula I have from FAR promos, with the new formula (50/50) would make this a reasonable goal. Thoughts about mixing the two?

I got mine in October which looks different from the pic. Not sure if that's what you guys are saying "NEW".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back