MB AMG 0W-40

AMG 0W-40.JPG

I asked how it compares to M1 0W-40. From what I can see, almost no molly, lower boron, higher calcium (almost double), much lower magnesium, lower phosphorus, and lower zinc compared to M1 0W-40 from this thread on VOA databases.

So, is there any advantage of using this oil compared to M1 0W-40 or other 0W-40s? Curious to know if the overall blend has better benefits or specific benefits that are not obvious for AMG engines. This appears to be the USA version of their AMG flagship oil. I wonder if they are doing things better than others with less components.

For break-in wear I've been reading that it could not seat the rings properly if having high amounts of Moly. If you're already past break-in period I'd just go straight to M1 or the like with the OEM approvals on it. You might save a few pennies too.

For break-in wear I've been reading that it could not seat the rings properly if having high amounts of Moly. If you're already past break-in period I'd just go straight to M1 or the like with the OEM approvals on it. You might save a few pennies too.
I am far past break-in at 60k+ miles. Just wanted to give their flagship oil a try and see what was in the AMG oil.

I thought this oil would be the same as ESP X3 but it does seem to have less moly and boron, but more calcium. Perhaps it’s a “budget” version of that oil.
I thought it would stand out more on the additive side (well, I guess it does in the negative sense) but I can't fathom why MB would make this their premier AMG oil if it doesn't have much to it. I am curious if they use premium base stock and premium additives (what little additives they use). I mean, what is the secrete we aren't seeing that would want them to say that this is worthy to be the AMG oil?

I thought it would stand out more on the additive side (well, I guess it does in the negative sense) but I can't fathom why MB would make this their premier AMG oil if it doesn't have much to it. I am curious if they use premium base stock and premium additives (what little additives they use). I mean, what is the secrete we aren't seeing that would want them to say that this is worthy to be the AMG oil?
I’m sure it’s very good. You can’t see many types of additives via ICP analysis. We just don’t know. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it but I also wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.

I’m sure it’s very good. You can’t see many types of additives via ICP analysis. We just don’t know. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it but I also wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
Right, but why is it very good, what is the secret? Calcium (detergent) is one of the only things that stands out compared to M1 but it is lower than Castrol 0W-40 (2489 for AMG, 1443 for M1, but 2748 for Castrol). There doesn't seem to be anything that screams "Put this oil in an AMG" other than it having the label AMG. I don't intend to get this oil again (I have 2 changes worth) unless I can see why it is better than other available oils. I am almost tempted to get the thumbs up from TiGeo to add Ceratec and boost some of the AW additives lol.

Right, but why is it very good, what is the secret? Calcium (detergent) is one of the only things that stands out compared to M1 but it is lower than Castrol 0W-40 (2489 for AMG, 1443 for M1, but 2748 for Castrol). There doesn't seem to be anything that screams "Put this oil in an AMG" other than it having the label AMG. I don't intend to get this oil again (I have 2 changes worth) unless I can see why it is better than other available oils. I am almost tempted to get the thumbs up from TiGeo to add Ceratec and boost some of the AW additives lol.
What approval/cert does this oil carry, 229.5? That’s your “put it in AMG” card. It’s already a 0W-40 when most MB engines are shipping with super thin oils. We don’t know what these organic additives may be with a simple VOA so we are having to assume that a premium product has something interesting in lieu of metallic additives.

The detergent level isn’t too meaningful.

I don’t think bottled additives are a good idea. You never know how it’s going to work; are you competing for surfaces with other additives in the oil, will it cause increased deposits, etc. The combination is just not tested.

If you need MB 229.51/52 then just use M1 ESP X3. If 229.5 then M1 0W-40 FS, PP Euro, or Motul XCess Gen2. This oil is most likely very good though and I would not be in a rush to change it. Mercedes puts their name on it, so it’s unlikely to be bad. We’ll never be able to prove what is the best unless someone has a bunch of engines to tear down.

What approval/cert does this oil carry, 229.5? That’s your “put it in AMG” card. It’s already a 0W-40 when most MB engines are shipping with super thin oils. We don’t know what these organic additives may be with a simple VOA so we are having to assume that a premium product has something interesting in lieu of metallic additives.

The detergent level isn’t too meaningful.

I don’t think bottled additives are a good idea. You never know how it’s going to work; are you competing for surfaces with other additives in the oil, will it cause increased deposits, etc. The combination is just not tested.

If you need MB 229.51/52 then just use M1 ESP X3. If 229.5 then M1 0W-40 FS, PP Euro, or Motul XCess Gen2. This oil is most likely very good though and I would not be in a rush to change it. Mercedes puts their name on it, so it’s unlikely to be bad. We’ll never be able to prove what is the best unless someone has a bunch of engines to tear down.
Appreciate the response. Yeah, it ONLY carries 229.5 (at least the bottles I purchased do), none of the 229.51 or the 229.52certs. This makes me believe that the distributer (ECS Tuning) was able to get ahold of some older AMG oil without the newer certs on the bottle (if they matter and ONLY IF THEY UPDATED THE OIL AND CERTS, all of which I have no idea), or, for whatever reason, it can't pass the newer certs.

You mentioned Organic additives, what kind of organic additives would there be and what advantages would they be? Why wouldn't they show up on the VOA?

LOL, I was really hoping this was the Petronas AMG oil. I still have no idea who makes/blends this oil for the USA.

So, at 10$ a liter, is there a better option? (without further knowledge, it leans towards there are better options for AMG engines).

As a side note, the dealer has changed my oil about 2 times, (I have changed the oil the rest of the times), they have NEVER mentioned an upgraded 0W-40 AMG oil and have filled it with 5W40 MB or Mobil oil.

Last edited:
Appreciate the response. Yeah, it ONLY carries 229.5 (at least the bottles I purchased do), none of the 229.51 or the 229.52certs. This makes me believe that the distributer (ECS Tuning) was able to get ahold of some older AMG oil without the newer certs on the bottle (if they matter and ONLY IF THEY UPDATED THE OIL AND CERTS, all of which I have no idea), or, for whatever reason, it can't pass the newer certs.
229.51 and .52 are mid/low SAPS so that is why you are not seeing them together. Nothing wrong with it being only 229.5. It actually may be preferred to be that way by many.

View attachment 185572

I asked how it compares to M1 0W-40. From what I can see, almost no molly, lower boron, higher calcium (almost double), much lower magnesium, lower phosphorus, and lower zinc compared to M1 0W-40 from this thread on VOA databases.

So, is there any advantage of using this oil compared to M1 0W-40 or other 0W-40s? Curious to know if the overall blend has better benefits or specific benefits that are not obvious for AMG engines. This appears to be the USA version of their AMG flagship oil. I wonder if they are doing things better than others with less components.
API SN. Old stock.

It should be Petronas 7000 brother, PAO based.
Between MB and M1 I'd buy cheaper. Don't worry about additives, it can work same or better with less adds.

You won't see 229.5 and 229.51/.52 actual approvals together but you might see 229.51/.52 actual approval and "also recommended for" 229.5 together............but you shouldn't see the opposite where 229.5 is approval and "recommended" for 229.51/.52 together.

It should be Petronas 7000 brother, PAO based.
Between MB and M1 I'd buy cheaper. Don't worry about additives, it can work same or better with less adds.
Maybe outside North America it might be but the bottle here says "Made in the USA from domestic and / or imported components.". I have no idea but I am hesitant to think they are importing Petronas formulations and finalizing them here. Maybe they could be but what in this VOA would show that?
229.51 and .52 are mid/low SAPS so that is why you are not seeing them together. Nothing wrong with it being only 229.5. It actually may be preferred to be that way by many.
Yes. It's not possible to have all those approvals at the same time.
You won't see 229.5 and 229.51/.52 actual approvals together but you might see 229.51/.52 actual approval and "also recommended for" 229.5 together............but you shouldn't see the opposite where 229.5 is approval and "recommended" for 229.51/.52 together.
Thanks for the clarification on the different 229 certs.

That is not an impressive oil unless BS is not picking up something.
Right, hence the "I wonder if they are doing better with less" in the original post. I understand that the performance of the final product is what matters and is a combination of the materials and chemistry used. From the VOA, it looks shy of a component or two that other well blended and regarded oils contain. Anyhow, I still haven't called the dealer to see if they would recommend this oil as an upgrade for this car or not.

Maybe outside North America it might be but the bottle here says "Made in the USA from domestic and / or imported components.". I have no idea but I am hesitant to think they are importing Petronas formulations and finalizing them here. Maybe they could be but what in this VOA would show that?
It could use different base oils to Petronas then, but additive pkg is the same from Infineum, there are regular imports from Italy to USA.

Back