neighbor vandalized my floodlight, my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BRZED
Fimd out if in your state trespassing is considered a misdemeanor and whether or not you may make a citizen's arrest when a misdemeanor is committed. Should you be permitted to make a citizen's arrest, be sure to adhere to the letter of the local law. For example, in some places you only may detain a person, but you may not move them from the scene of the infraction,not even to hand them over to the police. One thing is for sure. A citizen's arrest will net you a friend for life.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on any internet forum. Ever.

For a trespass warning to be effective, it would need to have been served to the neighbor already by a police officer. Making a citizens arrest on a neighbor will get you busted upside the head with a pipe and likely booked on felony false imprisonment charges. And serving a trespass warning on a neighbor is literally the last thing you want to do, unless you like your car getting keyed and your tires getting slashed on a regular basis. It's much easier to solve differences with a simple respectful conversation (don't get angry or raise your voice). Involving the police is never a good idea and should be a last resort.

pictures I took yesterday

Broken Floodlight Fixture. Neighbor hit it so hard, the metal broke. This is the floodlight fixture that came with the house.

[img:center][/img]

My no trespassing sign with master lock installed.

My outdoor camera that I installed. it's aimed at the fence/back of home where the new floodlight fixture is. Last night, I got motion detection alerts/footage from the wind blowing the tree branches! He's not going to be able to walk near my house without me knowing now.
banana2.gif

New floodlight fixture and new CFL outdoor bulbs installed. I re-aimed them. With the new GE CFL bulbs, they appear to burn brighter than the old CFL bulbs.
grin2.gif

I think I'm going to go ahead and order an outdoor camera for the front door as well. I'm shopping for an outdoor camera that will pan the whole front yard. If he knows I got cameras maybe he won't be dumb and ring the doorbell and run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Fimd out if in your state trespassing is considered a misdemeanor and whether or not you may make a citizen's arrest when a misdemeanor is committed. Should you be permitted to make a citizen's arrest, be sure to adhere to the letter of the local law. For example, in some places you only may detain a person, but you may not move them from the scene of the infraction,not even to hand them over to the police. One thing is for sure. A citizen's arrest will net you a friend for life.

For a trespass warning to be effective, it would need to have been served to the neighbor already by a police officer. Making a citizens arrest on a neighbor will get you busted upside the head with a pipe and likely booked on felony false imprisonment charges. And serving a trespass warning on a neighbor is literally the last thing you want to do, unless you like your car getting keyed and your tires getting slashed on a regular basis. It's much easier to solve differences with a simple respectful conversation (don't get angry or raise your voice). Involving the police is never a good idea and should be a last resort.

Do you have any clue what my last sentence is indicating? Can you glean its meaning? Do you understand that I advised to check the local laws regarding trespass, if it constitutes a misdemeanor and if a citizen's arrest is a legal option in this jurisdiction?

I'm fairly shy and introverted, but I think one of the most important things anyone can and should do is, get to know your neighbors.

I'd still try and talk to the guy and see [censored] his problem is, even after putting up the camera, locks etc. get on a level playing field with him so he knows you're not a push over but that you're mature and honest about what happened. No flaming dog poo on his porch, don't call the cops right away etc., go over and talk to him, tell him what you've seen and witnessed, ask him if the lights are too bright and you'll re-aim them etc. so it doesn't bother him, and tell him under no uncertain terms he's not to trespass on your property again or you'll call the cops.
21.gif
Seems like common sense to me.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I still think a conversation wold have been better and a lot cheaper.

LOL, you still don't "get it" do you?

His neighbor is insane.

More wild speculation on your part. You know nothing about the neighbor.

What part of criminal trespass and destruction of private property/vandalism don't you understand?
The neighbor is guilty of BOTH.

He is going to see that camera. Perhaps that is enough. It might have been better to have a game camera in the bushes so you could catch him in the act. Hopefully he will deescalate.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
He is going to see that camera. Perhaps that is enough. It might have been better to have a game camera in the bushes so you could catch him in the act. Hopefully he will deescalate.

I too hope you are correct, but too many times I have seen idiots like this keep ratcheting up the nonsense.

There was a neighbor who was shooting out the other neighbors spotlight with a BB gun. In my old neighborhood. So glad I left the subdivision life. The HOA was a PIA too. They had made me remove my vegetable garden.

The one thing I haven't understood is, since he's the neighbor across the street, and the light is in your back yard, how can they possibly be shining anywhere near him?

Also those lights look pretty high (I see your ladder). How did he previously unscrew them?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Do you have any clue what my last sentence is indicating? Can you glean its meaning? Do you understand that I advised to check the local laws regarding trespass, if it constitutes a misdemeanor and if a citizen's arrest is a legal option in this jurisdiction?

Private persons do not enjoy the same protections as the police in arresting others. While the powers to arrest are similar, police are entitled to mistake of fact in most cases, while citizens are held to a stricter liability. Police can also detain anyone upon reasonable suspicion

I still think a conversation wold have been better and a lot cheaper.

LOL, you still don't "get it" do you?

His neighbor is insane.

More wild speculation on your part. You know nothing about the neighbor.

What part of criminal trespass and destruction of private property/vandalism don't you understand?
The neighbor is guilty of BOTH.

Criminal activity doesn't mean he's insane. There's two sides to every story. We don't know the other side. Your own logic is failing you again.

Quote:

]Criminal activity doesn't mean he's insane. There's two sides to every story. We don't know the other side. Your own logic is failing you again.

Nevertheless serious criminal behavior means he has major issues controlling himself. The problem is not with my logic, it is a lack of such on someone else' part.
whistle.gif

A civil neighbor like "cutehumor" doesn't need to concern himself with those issues either, he is this morons' neighbor, not his psychologist, or a policeman.
The idiots actions indicate a potential to harm people as well as property.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
There was a neighbor who was shooting out the other neighbors spotlight with a BB gun. In my old neighborhood. So glad I left the subdivision life. The HOA was a PIA too. They had made me remove my vegetable garden.

Bb gun? Thanks for the tip. This may be my neighbor's next move since he can't enter my backyard anymore and do it out of camera range. I have an old daisy bb gun myself. So we shall see. It is almost dark. I will see if I can get screen shots from the new video camera angle.

It running your flood night all night really worth all this and potentially nuttier behavior?

Originally Posted By: rjundi
It running your flood night all night really worth all this and potentially nuttier behavior?
It absolutely would be to me. I'd put in the brightest bulbs I can find, if he wants to be an a-hole, I'll show him an a-hole
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It absolutely would be to me. I'd put in the brightest bulbs I can find, if he wants to be an a-hole, I'll show him an a-hole
wink.gif

The thing is there are many countermeasures any neighbor can take for just about anything. He could start a loud car at 3am every morning. He could play loud music. Have parties. Put out stinking manure. And about a 100 other things.

The BITOG member is taking a bit much pleasure in this and it could come back to bite him in the rear.

Why do things need to be lit up so much. Is this the ghetto?

The most important thing is to catch the criminal red handed on video and
make sure to press charges, don't think twice, let him spend time in jail. It may be the ONLY thing that makes him think twice about further trouble making. If you have the Castle Doctrine
in your state see if you have the right to use deadly force to protect your property. It may come to that.

Last edited:
The most important thing is to catch the criminal red handed on video and
make sure to press charges, don't think twice, let him spend time in jail. It may be the ONLY thing that makes him think twice about further trouble making. If you have the Castle Doctrine
in your state see if you have the right to use deadly force to protect your property. It may come to that.

Wow so some guy who is annoyed at a light shining into his house and is somewhat nutty should now be shot dead. I don't think it's worth it and I don't think the punishment fits the crime.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
wink.gif

The thing is there are many countermeasures any neighbor can take for just about anything. He could start a loud car at 3am every morning. He could play loud music. Have parties. Put out stinking manure. And about a 100 other things.

The BITOG member is taking a bit much pleasure in this and it could come back to bite him in the rear.

Why do things need to be lit up so much. Is this the ghetto?
Uhh....because he wants to light up his house and that's reason enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back