neighbor vandalized my floodlight, my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people buy a house in an area with no HOA just to avoid silly rules.

It's OK with me if the neighbor wants to work on his car, motorcycle, jet ski, etc....in his driveway.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

It's OK with me if the neighbor wants to work on his car, motorcycle, jet ski, etc....in his driveway.

And for others....they like a neighborhood to remain free from junk cars and vehicle parts strewn all over the property.

That's why many, like me, prefer a well ran HOA.

I've never been part of an HOA that didn't allow an oil change or a passenger car to be parked in the driveway.

In my experience in the locations where I have lived (not lower income communities), without an HOA people take liberty to turn an otherwise nice neighborhood....into a messy, ugly eyesore.

This HOA thing must be a lot more prevalent down there than it is up here. I've never lived in an area that had one and neither have my parents or any of my siblings. My sister lives in a condo and there are some rules there obviously but some of this stuff is nuts!

This may just be my "Canadian perspective" so keep that in mind, but it blows me away that you guys need rules to keep your neighbourhoods healthy and to keep everybody getting along.

I couldn't handle some of the stuff you guys are posting about in terms of restrictions and what you can and can't do. I'd lose my mind.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This HOA thing must be a lot more prevalent down there than it is up here. I've never lived in an area that had one and neither have my parents or any of my siblings. My sister lives in a condo and there are some rules there obviously but some of this stuff is nuts!

This may just be my "Canadian perspective" so keep that in mind, but it blows me away that you guys need rules to keep your neighbourhoods healthy and to keep everybody getting along.

I couldn't handle some of the stuff you guys are posting about in terms of restrictions and what you can and can't do. I'd lose my mind.

Ha ha ha....well, in many small towns with decent established communities, no need for an HOA generally. Folks there, and in higher income, affluent communities, don't generally require HOA's either.

I think the thing to keep in mind about Americans is that we have always envisioned ourselves as lovers of freedom and individuality. With that in mind, for many the thought of an HOA is reprehensible.

The problem is, once again, keeping in mind the American mindset.....is that those notions of "freedom" and doing what you please with your own property...often infringes on others desire to live in a neighborhood that has attractive landscape, orderly appearance, and general community continuity.

It used to NOT be needed to have HOA's. Most Americans behaved within neighborhoods to an expected level of consideration and thoughtfulness.

In the past 30-40 years....most of that consideration is gone. (My opinion)

A person can still choose to live in areas that have no HOA's....as most do not. You can also move into very rural settings and pretty much do whatever pleases you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg

And for others....they like a neighborhood to remain free from junk cars and vehicle parts strewn all over the property.

I've never been part of an HOA that didn't allow an oil change or a passenger car to be parked in the driveway.

In my experience in the locations where I have lived (not lower income communities), without an HOA people take liberty to turn an otherwise nice neighborhood....into a messy, ugly eyesore.

Andrew:

Earlier in this thread you posted the following:

Most middle class communities in my neck of the woods are rife with druggies and violent types. Yes...I need to move. This is my second move in three years attempting to get into a better community....but it's almost everywhere. Just yesterday a local moron was driving his four wheeler around the neighborhood streets going about 40mph. It's illegal...and children are at risk as well as being highly annoying. I wave the guy down and ask him to please stop and explain to him the reasons why. He flips me off and laughs as he drives off.

Afraid of my neighbors? Not really....but I would not trust them in times of crisis....let alone knock on a door with a problem.

Where I live (and have lived before this) people are nutty and have ZERO class.

Where you live currently, is there an HOA? Because if so, you certainly aren't describing a situation that I'd want to be any part of and you must pay a premium for this "privilege" ?
21.gif

I don't live in the best part of town (though certainly not a bad part by any stretch of the imagination), despite being in close proximity to homes worth 5x as much as my own. Owners are a mixed bag, anything from teachers to doctors, surgeons, CEO's...etc. We have some low rent around the corner, and some more along a street that runs parallel. But those that live there tend to keep to themselves. I can cite some specific examples of problems that have popped up in the last 10 years (a bike stolen that one of my kids left on the front lawn, a Muskoka chair stolen from my deck by a University student, crack-heads checking car doors in case they are unlocked for spare change and some random drunk guy sitting on my deck one morning) but these are problems that something like an HOA isn't going to help. They are infrequent occurrences and generally things are nice. I do have a camera setup because of my kids leaving things on the deck, and to act as a deterrent of course. But referencing what it has recorded has only ever been necessary once.

Nobody cares if you are doing an oil change on the street, if you paint the trim on your house a funny colour, if your kids are running around the yard screaming as they splash in the sprinkler. Nobody has a clapped out Camaro sitting on their front lawn or letting their dog drop a meaty one on your walkway. Without anything legislating it, there is a level of respect that exists that allows everybody to live in relative peace and do their own thing without these freakish overbearing rules being enforced by some assigned governing body
21.gif

When we lived out east our neighbours showed up at our door with food to welcome us when we arrived. My later best friend's dad showed up with a bucket of fresh clams. He was nuttier than a fruitcake (and a raging alcoholic) but friendly. People down the road would just drop in and say hi randomly. It was how it was out there. The guy that did septic tanks, well drilling and driveway clearing was also the local mechanic, LOL! People out there generally didn't have much but were so incredibly generous and friendly. Of course it wasn't perfect, we had the odd "incident" out there. The one couple down the street a ways (1/4 mile?) had a pair of unfriendly dogs that would chase bicycles and bite. The aforementioned nutter shot both of them and solved that problem. Anything that did come up had a way of sorting itself out without the police getting involved.

My parents now have a place out there that they own in town near where my dad teaches and a place here. Both places they are friends with all of their neighbours, everybody gets along....etc.

These places you guys describe sound so toxic to me. I can't understand the idea of intentionally living in a place that is so awkward and uncomfortable. Perhaps it isn't as bad as it seems, but that's certainly my take away from this discussion so far
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You need permission to put a camera up on YOUR property?

Yep. HOA's can govern EVERY aspect of your life. They tell you what kind've plants you have to landscape your yard with,when/how much/and how you can use *your* water you're paying for. You're not allowed to park in your own driveway in a direction they don't approve of,you're not allowed to work on your car,probably what time you have to go nighty night even. What color paint you have to use. Too many to name them all. Might as well live in an apt complex.

Isn't home ownership about independence? You essentially pay HOA dues every month to have them tell you how to live your life. No HOA for me,EVER,unless I got a KILLER deal that I couldn't pass up.

Why anyone would want to deal with a neighborhood like that is beyond me.

We recently had a news story pop up locally where the HOA was going after someone because they bought a pickup truck ...

Yep,and I remember reading someplace that an HOA told a homeowner he couldn't park his company work truck "in plain sight" outside of the garage where it was visible to the neighborhood. I was like,what the [censored]?? I would've told the HOA police to [censored] themselves.

HOA's are the result of poor neighbors to begin with. Many neighborhoods would degrade quickly without them. I've lived in neighborhoods that didn't have them...and I prefer those that do.

HOA's aren't hidden. Any prospective homeowner can read the bylaws and decide for themselves BEFORE they purchase...if that type of structure is for them.

It always irks me when dolts get all upset with HOA's when THEY signed the agreed upon contract. It's akin to getting a drivers license then being upset that YOU must obey traffic laws.

Yes...an overly zealous HOA committee and/or president can be a cause for concern. But that is why you get to VOTE them in or out of that position. Or...you can even run for it yourself.

In my opinion the only thing worse than a control freak HOA president....is one that does NOTHING about enforcing the HOA rules.

After all....you pay HOA dues for a reason.

The italicized and and bold paragraph!

It is YOUR DUTY AS THE BUYER TO USE DUE DILIGENCE WHEN UNDERSTANDING ANY COVENANT OR HOA REGULATIONS BEFORE signing the contract. Read and understand all rules. Don't start complaining about something clearly listed AFTER you move it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Andrew:

Earlier in this thread you posted the following:

Most middle class communities in my neck of the woods are rife with druggies and violent types. Yes...I need to move. This is my second move in three years attempting to get into a better community....but it's almost everywhere. Just yesterday a local moron was driving his four wheeler around the neighborhood streets going about 40mph. It's illegal...and children are at risk as well as being highly annoying. I wave the guy down and ask him to please stop and explain to him the reasons why. He flips me off and laughs as he drives off.

Afraid of my neighbors? Not really....but I would not trust them in times of crisis....let alone knock on a door with a problem.

Where I live (and have lived before this) people are nutty and have ZERO class.

Where you live currently, is there an HOA? Because if so, you certainly aren't describing a situation that I'd want to be any part of and you must pay a premium for this "privilege" ?
21.gif

I don't live in the best part of town (though certainly not a bad part by any stretch of the imagination), despite being in close proximity to homes worth 5x as much as my own. Owners are a mixed bag, anything from teachers to doctors, surgeons, CEO's...etc. We have some low rent around the corner, and some more along a street that runs parallel. But those that live there tend to keep to themselves. I can cite some specific examples of problems that have popped up in the last 10 years (a bike stolen that one of my kids left on the front lawn, a Muskoka chair stolen from my deck by a University student, crack-heads checking car doors in case they are unlocked for spare change and some random drunk guy sitting on my deck one morning) but these are problems that something like an HOA isn't going to help. They are infrequent occurrences and generally things are nice. I do have a camera setup because of my kids leaving things on the deck, and to act as a deterrent of course. But referencing what it has recorded has only ever been necessary once.

Nobody cares if you are doing an oil change on the street, if you paint the trim on your house a funny colour, if your kids are running around the yard screaming as they splash in the sprinkler. Nobody has a clapped out Camaro sitting on their front lawn or letting their dog drop a meaty one on your walkway. Without anything legislating it, there is a level of respect that exists that allows everybody to live in relative peace and do their own thing without these freakish overbearing rules being enforced by some assigned governing body
21.gif

When we lived out east our neighbours showed up at our door with food to welcome us when we arrived. My later best friend's dad showed up with a bucket of fresh clams. He was nuttier than a fruitcake (and a raging alcoholic) but friendly. People down the road would just drop in and say hi randomly. It was how it was out there. The guy that did septic tanks, well drilling and driveway clearing was also the local mechanic, LOL! People out there generally didn't have much but were so incredibly generous and friendly. Of course it wasn't perfect, we had the odd "incident" out there. The one couple down the street a ways (1/4 mile?) had a pair of unfriendly dogs that would chase bicycles and bite. The aforementioned nutter shot both of them and solved that problem. Anything that did come up had a way of sorting itself out without the police getting involved.

My parents now have a place out there that they own in town near where my dad teaches and a place here. Both places they are friends with all of their neighbours, everybody gets along....etc.

These places you guys describe sound so toxic to me. I can't understand the idea of intentionally living in a place that is so awkward and uncomfortable. Perhaps it isn't as bad as it seems, but that's certainly my take away from this discussion so far
frown.gif

Overkill,

Yes, believe it or not my current neighborhood is governed (not much) by an HOA.

I'll explain a bit here so as to not appear that I contradict myself.

My previous dwelling was one my girlfriend owned. It was not mine. It was in an extremely run down, crime ridden, and filthy area. I lived there with her and did my best to help her secure the home and protect the property from vandals and the like. She was in a very poor situation financially when I met her, including her home value.

After five years of working just about every angle to help her sell her money-pit of a home, we were finally successful.

Being that the sale was up and down and not a done deal until almost final closing time....we needed a place to move to quickly. I settled on where we are now out of necessity. The home itself is very nice, with a huge deck out back and woods to look at.

I knew when we moved here all about the HOA....and that from just looking around at the neighborhood, I could see that it wasn't being followed. Since we are renting this place and only plan on staying here until the lease is done....we both agreed to put up with the crummy HOA and it's lack of enforcement. The dues/fees are included in the rent.

I've brought up my concerns to the HOA about the lack of bylaw enforcement....all to no avail. This might be because I am just a renter and not a homeowner here....so they really don't care what I think I would guess.

My neighbors are pretty much rampant abusers of the HOA rules...as well as ignoring simple decent neighborly conduct. I do know a few that are nice and considerate though. But these are older folks. The younger ones tend to be problematic.

This is why our next move will consist of two realities. A higher income neighborhood and a real HOA that enforces the rules.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
HOA's are the result of poor neighbors to begin with. Many neighborhoods would degrade quickly without them. I've lived in neighborhoods that didn't have them...and I prefer those that do.

HOA's aren't hidden. Any prospective homeowner can read the bylaws and decide for themselves BEFORE they purchase...if that type of structure is for them.

It always irks me when dolts get all upset with HOA's when THEY signed the agreed upon contract. It's akin to getting a drivers license then being upset that YOU must obey traffic laws.

Yes...an overly zealous HOA committee and/or president can be a cause for concern. But that is why you get to VOTE them in or out of that position. Or...you can even run for it yourself.

In my opinion the only thing worse than a control freak HOA president....is one that does NOTHING about enforcing the HOA rules.

It is YOUR DUTY AS THE BUYER TO USE DUE DILIGENCE WHEN UNDERSTANDING ANY COVENANT OR HOA REGULATIONS BEFORE signing the contract. Read and understand all rules. Don't start complaining about something clearly listed AFTER you move it.

Yes...exactly.

Antiqueshell, I'm no dolt as you and Andrewg imply. I'm also no pushover.

My attorney reviewed the covenants prior to my purchase. The rule on personal vehicles was unreasonable and unenforceable. That was his considered, professional, opinion. So I bought the house.

I merely pressured the HOA to change the rule. They changed it because of me. Everyone who was considered to be in violation of the HOA rule benefitted from my success in the rule change.

Perhaps in my attempt to be brief, I ommitted a few salient points.

However, with some understanding of the law, and some reasonable discussion, accommodation and compromise can be found. Even when dealing with HOAs.

Last edited:
I would like to understand what would have happened if you had decided to pursue against the "unreasonable" rule. Did your attorney believe that if the matter went to court, judge and jury would side with you instead of with HOA?

I do agree with you that the rule in my mind is "unreasonable" but I am not buying that it is "uneforceable".

I would like to think contracts with "unreasonable" clauses get thrown out but sadly that is really not the case in real life.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I merely pressured the HOA to change the rule. They changed it because of me. Everyone who was considered to be in violation of the HOA rule benefitted from my success in the rule change.

However, with some understanding of the law, and some reasonable discussion, accommodation and compromise can be found. Even when dealing with HOAs.

Except I may have purchased my home in that neighborhood BECAUSE of the HOA or Covenant restrictions concerning that aspect of things, and your imposing your personal needs would annoy me greatly.

The fact that you feel that putting your personal needs above the entire neighborhood is exactly why I prefer to be in HOA /Covenant enforced communities, if you didn't like the rules why not move somewhere else? I wonder how many other rules you agreed to when you signed the HOA you will try and eliminate?

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Antiqueshell, I'm no dolt as you and Andrewg imply. I'm also no pushover.

My attorney reviewed the covenants prior to my purchase. The rule on personal vehicles was unreasonable and unenforceable. That was his considered, professional, opinion. So I bought the house.

I didn't imply that you were a "dolt".

But on the other hand...you conveniently left out a lot of facts that happened way before you even bought the house. In fact, you purposely, and with intent, disregarded the HOA bylaws. Wow.

Sounds like with the assistance of an attorney (geesh)....you got what you wanted out of it. Even if you went about it in a disingenuous way.

Yes....you certainly did leave all that out previously.

these hoa homes -- are they attached townhouse type dwellings, or detached homes? too many rules, for me. but, people choose to live where they want.
as far as nutty neighbors, thieving scum, and animal type kids in neighborhoods -- that's life. get cameras on your house (if allowed). I did in both houses, shortly after purchase.a few hundred bucks for a good wireless system gives peace of mind. make sure that the neighbors see them being installed. very soon all will know of your cameras.all you need is one nosy neighbor.alert stickers in your windows and doors, and you're done.motion sensor lights are good, as well.
there are many different camera types available.i bought x10 brand.
there's no sense complaining about how the world "sucks", as one said. you can't change it, so protect yourself before something happens, not after.
have a good night, all.

Ha ha ha....well, in many small towns with decent established communities, no need for an HOA generally. Folks there, and in higher income, affluent communities, don't generally require HOA's either.

I think the thing to keep in mind about Americans is that we have always envisioned ourselves as lovers of freedom and individuality. With that in mind, for many the thought of an HOA is reprehensible.

The problem is, once again, keeping in mind the American mindset.....is that those notions of "freedom" and doing what you please with your own property...often infringes on others desire to live in a neighborhood that has attractive landscape, orderly appearance, and general community continuity.

It used to NOT be needed to have HOA's. Most Americans behaved within neighborhoods to an expected level of consideration and thoughtfulness.

In the past 30-40 years....most of that consideration is gone. (My opinion)

A person can still choose to live in areas that have no HOA's....as most do not. You can also move into very rural settings and pretty much do whatever pleases you.

All very true. It would be sad to live amongst slobs with no consideration, but usally those areas have lower property values and you can tell where they are.

Man, this thread makes me appreciate my neighbors who are good people, that watch out for each other, and who have pride in and take care of their property. The fact that we don't have to deal with some petty HOA fiefdom, is just icing on the cake.

I'd make your yard as inaccessible as possible, and set up a camera to catch this clown in the act.

Last edited:
JHZR2,

The problem with many cities in the USA is that the demographics have changed over the past 30 years.

Neighborhoods that were once middle class with a very low crime rate and good schools.... now have become pretty much slums and the residents don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back