Need a winter tire suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked my winterforce, but I don't think Id call them a highway tire - more rural deep snow. They made a Yaris VERY drivable in the winter where it once was a no-go AT ALL on OEM all seasons.

The appellation, "All Seasons" in to many an instance = NO SEASONS.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 (studded) or Hakkapeliitta R2 (non-studded). They're in a class unto themselves.

Not according to Consumer Reports, at least not R2.

Krzys

My take:
If you want serious winter tire: Bridgestone WS 70 or Continental WinterContact
2. If you want to pretend to have winter tire: Michelin Xi3.

Originally Posted By: Rust_Belt_Pete
I cant do studded tires, it would drive me nuts on the highway, the noise will grind down any sane man.
I think I am going to go with the R2's.
Changing lanes in a slush covered highway is one of the most unpleasant experiences I have yet to encounter even with decent winter tires (xi3).

Well, depending on your speed and slush, no tire is going cut through it fast enough to reach the pavement. I think my 155/80R13 snow tires on an old Neon would actually start act almost like rudders, but that's an extreme example unavailable anymore.

IME, tires that handle slush well are noisy due to lots of big gaps, but they aren't great on ice. The ice tires don't have big gaps but are much quieter on clear roads.
I have no trouble with either type, as you still drive to the conditions, but you have to choose what you want. Usually I get snow/slush tires but this last time I bought a set of yokohama ig52c(ice tires) and they rate around 95% as good as the Xice3, but at 2/3 the price. They also seem to be wearing very well on my Focus too. I would get them again anyways as they are as quiet as my all seasons on the highway.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I never wore out a set of Nokians - but I mounted them in October and pulled them off in April. Heat kills winter tires, as does hard driving. They didn't get exposed to either. I would expect 25K useful miles out of a good set of winter tires...when they get to 6/32" depth, the snow traction begins to decline...you can just run them through the summer at that point, or pitch them...

I don't like selling tires (or anything) on CL, but I can usually ditch snow tires for 75% of new on CL.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 (studded) or Hakkapeliitta R2 (non-studded). They're in a class unto themselves.

Krzys

Consumer Reports does many things moderately well. I've never found their automotive reviews useful though. That being said, I don't have a subscription, so I'd gladly look the article over if you can post it.

I have found all of Nokian's products to do very well, although the Hakkapeliitta 8 will have the edge over the R2 in slush and deep snow. They can be ordered studless if the OP wishes.

Originally Posted By: krzyss

Krzys

Consumer Reports does many things moderately well. I've never found their automotive reviews useful though. That being said, I don't have a subscription, so I'd gladly look the article over if you can post it.

I have found all of Nokian's products to do very well, although the Hakkapeliitta 8 will have the edge over the R2 in slush and deep snow. They can be ordered studless if the OP wishes.

I found Nokian's to be very good while new. Second winter? Well in my case my Rossignol skis had more traction.
Car was BMW 525d xDrive. Tires had H index, never driven more then 200km/h, but it could be that car wa soverkill for them.

I have online subscription.
Studless tires never get good or higher rating in wet from CR.

From foreign tests it seems that if one wants better wet and slush performance one needs to give up snow and ice.

Performance winters have better wet, slush and dry performance than studless.

Hence WR G3 is better in the wet than R2.

Krzys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back