NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCES

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by den_s:
Too bad many folks who died during their oil change can't tell us their story...

True. The whole thread is biased towards the survivors, making it look less dangerous than it really is.
shocked.gif

I love my new homemade 2x12 wooden stair step type ramps. The rusting metal ones I used about two times are heading for the dump this weekend. Jacks and stands always get tree trunk backups anyway. Tire rotation is done with stands very carefully, ie, with none of me under the car.

I can't believe that I used to use the spare scissor jack to do oil changes in my Grand Am, and it was a tight squeeze even with that little bit of lift. Man o man, I am lucky as heck that baby didn't give out and allow the leaky 3.4L to crush my lungs. I now have some over built wood ramps I made that are HUGE and lock the front tires onto the ramp.

I have always been very cautious in getting underneath any vehicle not standing on its own road wheels. Slow suffocation seems like an awful way to die and I'd prefer to be around a few more years. I do use a floor jack for brake work, but that doesn't normally involve getting under the vehicle. For clutch replacement, for example, chocking the rear and putting good jackstands under the front just makes sense. A hard shake or two of the vehicle is a real good idea. Also, be careful about how you apply force in removing stuck fasteners. Don't want to start the tilt and fall process.

ain't nothin' slow about a ton on your chest- i imagine you'd die pretty fast? after reading this thread- idid an oil change on my car yesterday- with out jacks. BTW- how long of an intrevel would you do on supertech dino? Don't make me start another thread about this...

quote:

Originally posted by KieferS:
i imagine you'd die pretty fast? after reading this thread- idid an oil change on my car yesterday- with out jacks.

From what I heard, very painful and kinda slow since it doesn’t smash body organs completely.., all depends on chest dimensions and clearance between oil pan and ground. I always change my oil without jacks as well. I’m w/h proportional so don’t have any problems. Even under small sedan like my Mitsubishi Mirage there always enough space to open/close fumoto drain plug and change filter. There no space left and feels very uncomfortable but it saves a lot of time and most important my life.

I must be the only one that actually survived having the car fall on them.

In high school I had an 89 Firebird Formula. Not being able to find the other ramp, I decided to use the scissor jack in the car to change the oil real quick before I left on a trip. In the process, the jack collapsed sideways, and the car fell on me. Ever see how much room there is under one of those? Not much. Fortunately I was pretty skinny. I was fairly squished, but I could breathe. I didn't have enough room to wiggle out though; part of the exhaust system (the cat I think) was between the bottom of my ribs and my pelvis, and I couldn't go sideways either way. Eventually someone came home and got me out from under it.

Mom had a Pinto back in the early 80's.
We got rear-ended HARD. Guy didn't see the red light. He must have been doing at least 45mph.
It didn't pop. Must have been the updated version?

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

Originally posted by den_s:
Too bad many folks who died during their oil change can't tell us their story...

True. The whole thread is biased towards the survivors, making it look less dangerous than it really is.
shocked.gif

Give me a break dude, life is short,(and even shorter for others) take a laxitive or something.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
I don't trust jack stands either. Even the heavy duty jack stands with the ratchet bother me. I want a positive pin throught the shaft, not a ratchet.

Same here. But the pin-through-shaft type has it's own problem: it may weaken the shaft. I saw Walmart was selling stands with a second ratchet pin in addition to the claw, those may be better. What I use is a pair of 6 ton jack stands, they are high enough so that ratchet is not engaged, and I put an additional pair of 2 ton stands, plust two floor jack under the car.

quote:

Originally posted by Sienna Driver:
Same here. But the pin-through-shaft type has it's own problem: it may weaken the shaft. I saw Walmart was selling stands with a second ratchet pin in addition to the claw, those may be better. What I use is a pair of 6 ton jack stands, they are high enough so that ratchet is not engaged, and I put an additional pair of 2 ton stands, plust two floor jack under the car.

Hmmm, maybe get the heaviest duty ratched jack stands, find the level that you will be using them at all the time and then weld the ratched in place. That ought to be totally secure.

"Hmmm, maybe get the heaviest duty ratched jack stands, find the level that you will be using them at all the time and then weld the ratched in place. That ought to be totally secure."

Not really. I've heard of cases where a leg of a jack stand buckled, causing the stand to collapse.

My favorite backup is a large chunk of firewood, or two, under the axle. We have a wood stove in the house and another in the garage, so we always have chunks of varying sizes around to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back