NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCES

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by CBDFrontier06:
Cows are ruthless.

Me, up to my ankles in mud, trying to give 'the girls' their daily treat of range cubes, and they're trying to mow me down. Ruthless, I tell ya!

That pic was taken when? I long for green these days. I'm told soil moisture is 120% below normal right now in Dallas.

My story may fit, if you'll allow a "I shoulda known better (and wasn't a teenager)":

In '98 was leaving Eureka, California (actually, Blue Lake) with a load of redwood lumber for Colorado Springs. Dispatch had me routed back down 101, then to Sacramento. Mr. Wizard here decided to run CA-299 east to Redding, then south on the Interstate.

Weighed out at 78,500# first thing that morning, and proceeded -- in my underpowered, no jake-or-exhaust-brake Freightshaker -- to get a new lesson in steep grades. Finally smoked the brakes so badly on one long downhill (winding scenic highway; the designation I chose to ignore) that I was probably less than 100' from losing them altogether.

Got out of the truck (when I said "smoking brakes" I was not exaggerating), and climbed back into the sleeper shaking and exhausted. Slept an hour, slapped myself and spent the rest of the day just getting to Redding.

132 miles. MapQuest sez 2-hrs, 28-minutes.

I got there about dark. Spent a couple of hours in Weaverville, and another hour or two off the road in other little places on the way to try to shake the willies. Didn't work.

Held up traffic. Nearly sideswiped a road crew ashphaltman off into a canyon. And so forth.

Worst day I ever spent on the road, in any vehicle.

Isn't CA-299 more like a one-lane fishing road between Humboldt and Redding?

If I'm thinking of the right road, I passed a crazy truck on that road once, barely, as the road was just wide enough for us to squeeze past each other.

Not according to memory or this RAND-McNALLY Truckers Road Atlas. (Might as well have been a one-laner the way I was going; sorry). Biggest road out there, runs along the Trinity River Canyon part of the way. Plenty of drama . . scenic was the word.

I don't find a town of Humboldt, but from Redding to anything by that name, 299 is the route all or part of the way.

awww man....

I should of never have opened this thread.....Looks like im doubling up with two jackstands on each side from now on....
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Nebraskan:
CBDFrontier06: That is a fake picture!! You're from Dallas, TX.. the color of the grass should be brown and the cows have way too much meat on their bones!! LOL
The one on the front left looks kind of tasty.

This pic was snapped in April 2005. The pasture looks nothing like that at the moment. The grass is now yellow, and there's no problems with mud. :) Thanks to some very caring owners, the cows are still this fat. They are getting their diets heavily supplemented at the moment. They're sweet girls....but they can get pushy when it comes to food.

We were having a road check one night on an off ramp. We had probably 4 or 5 Troopers and all but me had a vehicle off on the shoulder. I was standing in the roadway (2 lanes at that point if I remember correctly), reflective vest on, flashlight in hand, and speaking with a driver of a small red car. I had just asked him for his license and such when a little voice told me to look behind me. As I did, I had just enough time to scream "look out" before I pretty much dove toward the shoulder. Almost simultaneously, the sound of locked brakes filled the air and the drunk (blew a .24% BAC later) plowed into the rear of the vehicle at which I had been recently standing. Luckily, the driver of the little red car was ok and the rest of us were merely shaken. I can still see that little (insert bad word here)'s face sometimes and actually see him in public. It takes all I have now to not want to rip his head off.

Another night, while speaking with the driver of a vehicle I had just stopped, an 18-wheeler came by me so close that the air he sucked by actually moved me to the front quarter panel of the violator's car (I had been standing between the front and rear doors).

Worst death I saw was a guy who was attempting to restore power to a disabled (previous wreck) vehicle while it was sitting in the left lane of a 3 lane interstate. He was struck by a full sized GMC pkp and thrown over a concrete divider wall and then was literally rolled down the interstate as he was run over again and again. The coroner had to take occular (sp?) fluid for a BAC as there was no other fluid left to test.

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
Not according to memory or this RAND-McNALLY Truckers Road Atlas. (Might as well have been a one-laner the way I was going; sorry). Biggest road out there, runs along the Trinity River Canyon part of the way. Plenty of drama . . scenic was the word.

I don't find a town of Humboldt, but from Redding to anything by that name, 299 is the route all or part of the way.

I checked mapquest and I think we're talking about the same road?
The Redding side is a small 2 lane with a bunch of campsites and fishing spots.
Right in the middle there's a General store (only thing out there really) that's got Kirk Cameron's (remember Growing Pains?) pic. He's holding abig bass?

More towards Humboldt/Eureka the road gets narrower, real narrow. Humboldt is the county (pot capital of the world?) and also a small town with a state college. It's easy to miss, it's so small there's no fast food joints there.

Oh my, after reading these I'm pert near fretful about ever leaving the shanty again.

While reading the latest, a synapse tickled a neuron and the news story from Ceres CA high school popped up.

The kids in the auto shop were playing around, emulating Kiss, the rock band.

It was just sooooo cool, so gnarly, to breathe in the acetylene then blow it out quickly over a flame.

Whoooosh!!!!!!!! Instant fireball.

Yeah, you know what happened.

The Modesto Bee reporter talked to witnesses. They described an exploded chest and debris splattered against the walls and here and there. An end-note stated that the details were described in the hope of convincing others to learn a lesson from the event.

At least the kid went quickly, not much suffering as you explode from the inside.

The kids close-by who were splattered likely never played with flammables again.

I should have entitled this "Near-Death Auto Experiences".. LOL
Oh well, it seems to be a well taken topic none the less.
smile.gif

Whenever i do anything under the car i use jackstands. As well as the parking brake and even blocks behind the wheels. Before i get under it i shake the **** out of it just to make sure.

Where i live two people have died within the last few months by cars falling on them.

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
Oh my, after reading these I'm pert near fretful about ever leaving the shanty again.

While reading the latest, a synapse tickled a neuron and the news story from Ceres CA high school popped up.

The kids in the auto shop were playing around, emulating Kiss, the rock band.

It was just sooooo cool, so gnarly, to breathe in the acetylene then blow it out quickly over a flame.

Whoooosh!!!!!!!! Instant fireball.

Yeah, you know what happened.

The Modesto Bee reporter talked to witnesses. They described an exploded chest and debris splattered against the walls and here and there. An end-note stated that the details were described in the hope of convincing others to learn a lesson from the event.

At least the kid went quickly, not much suffering as you explode from the inside.

The kids close-by who were splattered likely never played with flammables again.

shocked.gif
pat.gif

And the Darwin Award goes to...
worshippy.gif

www.darwinawards.com
incase y'all haven't heard of the "darwin award"

Does getting hit in the throat with a 95MPH baseball count as near death?

The emergency room told me that another 1/4" to the right, and i would have been dead before I hit the floor.

Heck no.

I jack up the car, remove all four wheels.

Set a 12" concrete block under each A-arm, and under the rear brake drum.

Put 4 jackstands under each lifting point.

I set the parking brake, have the car in gear and chain it to the slab with a come-a-long and logging chain.

I then shut the garage door to prevent any wind from accidentally moving the car while I am working on it. I also pre-dial 911 on my cell phone and notify 3 neighbors and 4 next of kin what I am doing and not to leave the phone until I return a call saying everything is ok.

quote:

I then shut the garage door to prevent any wind from accidentally moving the car while I am working on it. I also pre-dial 911 on my cell phone and notify 3 neighbors and 4 next of kin what I am doing and not to leave the phone until I return a call saying everything is ok.

My goodness, can I say a bit excessive?
shocked.gif

Obbop, you can just stop now. Not possible for you to top the "meat grenade" story you posted on the last page. I imagine that the poor survivors of that episode will be having issues with tissues for some time to come. And just think of what that must have smelled like?
shocked.gif

I got another one. In the early 1990's I was in charge of the care and feeding of a couple of Tomcat portable stage roofs. These things were built in England and, unknown to us, the rating system over there is a little different. Instead of giving you safe working weight, they give you break strength and let you work out your own safety factor. The salesman gave us these figures as gospel safe working weight. I did a Great White show in San Antonio, TX and I can testify the figures were accurate, the structure broke right at the weight he gave us. In case you didn't know, shredding Al plate sounds just like torn Al foil only a deeper pitch. At least it didn't land on anyone, the crew scattered like cockroaches. It was a very long unpleasant day-I'm glad I don't do that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back