NAPA Platinum Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
JA, would you EVER use a NAPA Platinum filter on your truck?

Sure I would... subject to closely inspecting one and if it were available at the right price. I look at features and performance, then compare price. The Ultra is the best deal right now as far as I'm concerned. I searched for deals (on top of the already great price), stocked up and vacuum packed several for each of my vehicles for which an Ultra was available. A few years down the road, I'll reevaluate, pick the next candidates and do the same thing again.

I have no particular loyalty to Fram, or any other name brand, I just picked what looks to be the best for the money at this particular time. It's really simple to me... and why I get impatient with over-the-top brand loyalty that seems to defy logic. Love-it-or-leave-it, from-my-cold-dead-hands type loyalty has it's place... but not for a corporation (IMHO). Companies exist to make money and that's fine. Their products change, sometimes getting better, sometimes getting worse... as does the general health of the company). The value in their products changes. What you liked about a particular product or company in 1985 (when viewed in the context of 1985) may not be applicable in 2013. Conversely what you absolutely despised in 1985 (we'll assume you had a good, practical reason for it) may be the cream of the crop in 2013. Plus, within a company that has many individual products, some may be better or worse than others so even if you like the brand overall, you still have to evaluate the individual product.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Yep, you're right. The Amsoil is 98.7@15, or thereabouts. Not to concerned about it because it's a syn blend, last I looked, not to mention expensive and not better constructed that any of the others. I also have in my mind the incident with Toyotas a few years back where this type and level of filtration was actually plugging up. That issue was as much the car's problem as anything but it does point out the pitfalls of a very efficient syn blend filter with low capacity. I suspect 99%@20um is probably the current everyday threshold anyway.

As far as I know, the Amsoil EaO filters have always been fully synthetic microglass media.

Thanks for challenging me on that. The image I have for an Ea filter must be old or something unusual because it shows a cellulose, blended media. It also shows a slightly better efficiency. I gotta do some research on this and find out how and when things changed.

The current website shows a wire backed, full synthetic media. It also lists 98.7% @ 20um and it looks more or less like a Fram Ultra in construction, though the bypass is built into the endcap rather than into the leaf spring. And it does have a leaf spring, by the way. The Amsoil filter for my 5.4L retails at $17.30. A Fram Ultra retails at $9.99. Frankly, I fail to see the extra $7+ in the specs or performance. Not knocking the Ea itself at all, just the cost.

As a preferred customer the price difference is very small.

So give? What's the price break to a "preferred customer" for a $17.30 filter and how much money does it cost to become a "preferred customer?" That's a cost that has to be amortized somehow.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Jim, my condolences on your accuracy beta falling to 999.

I am disconsolate ( : < ( !

What nailed me, my double faux pas over the Amsoil filters or???

So give? What's the price break to a "preferred customer" for a $17.30 filter and how much money does it cost to become a "preferred customer?" That's a cost that has to be amortized somehow.

$10 for a 6 month trial or $20 per year. I won't quote prices, but it does knock a very significant chunk off of all of the oil and filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back