NAPA Platinum Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I read about synthetic type oil filters I "WAS" liking the FRAM Ultra, A LOT........UNTIL, a member here had a problem with one. The jury is still out on that at the moment.
The NAPA Platinum was very close to my decision as a best selection also. The more I research this filter the more I like it. And at $7.54, how can you go wrong?
Sayjac, remember we were making fun of the "SAFETY" valve?
27.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRbDfhgOOgo&feature=player_embedded

You have to remember, 1 member had an issue with a known quality fram ultra. It doesn't mean they're all bad.
I'm not defending the OCOD, that alone is a complete discussion on it itself, and cutting it open just justifies the opinions that are said here.

I've been fortunate to never have had an oil filter issue, aside from a ADBV not working to well, but a couple seconds of valve ticking wasn't the end of the world.

Any filter brand can have a manufacturing flaw ... so wouldn't necessarily ban the Ultra because of one instance reported.

I'm not putting down the FU.......I still like it, but want to see the results as to why the member had a problem with his. Besides, the NP is a very good looking filter.

Do you know of how many problems their are with 2007 F150 their are let alone one oil filter from a guy behind a keyboard claims he has.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Do you know of how many problems their are with 2007 F150 their are let alone one oil filter from a guy behind a keyboard claims he has.

I give up, how many?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I give up, how many?
grin.gif

You don't want to know that answer.

I give up, how many?
grin.gif

You don't want to know that answer.

Sure I do; try me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Gabe
UNTIL, a member here had a problem with one.

Are you talking about this guy?? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...nt=2&page=1

He might be wrong on his diagnosis of a bad oil filter. You shouldn't jump ship so fast.

Defects are bound to occur with the volume of units they produce.

However, I'm more interested in how the company deals with their defective product.

Fram should take this as an opportunity to do right by the customer and in return might convince even more bitogers to buy their products.

For ~$8, you can't beat the Napa Platinums. I'd stock up while the price is that low.

Originally Posted By: Umibozu

However, I'm more interested in how the company deals with their defective product.

Fram should take this as an opportunity to do right by the customer and in return might convince even more bitogers to buy their products.

Fram replied to his post. It doesn't get much better than that....

Besides, I REALLY doubt he got a defective filter. How does an oil filter cause hard starts and rough idles?? Come on...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The efficiency of the NAPA Platinum is pretty pathetic.

...and you got those specs from where???? Not published IIRC.

Originally Posted By: asharris7

The NAPA Platinum is the same as the WIX XP full synthetic. WIX has no efficiency info that I can find. Frankly, I won't use any oil filters that I don't know what their published efficiency is.

http://www.wixfilters.com/wixxp/Index.aspx

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: asharris7

The NAPA Platinum is the same as the WIX XP full synthetic. WIX has no efficiency info that I can find. Frankly, I won't use any oil filters that I don't know what their published efficiency is.

http://www.wixfilters.com/wixxp/Index.aspx

Z06, scroll down a few replies and see if this is the info you are talking about.
http://www.victoryforums.com/archive/index.php/t-15206.html

Cp3 was told they are 70 microns nominal.

That can't be right at all. No way. Even 20u or 25u nominal is way below what an upper-end filter can do.

The specs linked were for one particular filter and may not apply to all XP.

But the Beta ratio listed shows the filter is 50% @ 6um and 95%@19 um. That's at the upper end of average, or the lower end of top tier.. whichever you prefer. Several competitors are 99%@20um or Beta 20=100. I think some are actually more like 98.67% @ 20 um, or 20=75

Quote From Linked Post:

After some more research I'm going with the Wix 51356 oil Filter Specs:

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.402
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes