NAPA Gold vs. Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear that Mobil 1 filters do not flow well and can cause higher wear numbers in an engine. How would a NAPA Gold compair in flow and filtration? I don't think the NAPA will filter as good but will flow much better and reduce engine wear? Am I correct with this idea?

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
What about filtration?

The M1does filter smaller particles, but I question if that's even necessary when we see so many good UOAs with oil filters that are more effective in the 20 micron and higher range (vs the Mobil 1 which filters down to 10 supposedly)

[ April 09, 2003, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

So other than the NAPA Gold should I look at any other oil filter that flows great and filters good to replace my Mobil1's I have been using? I would like to keep the filter cost under $12.00 and be easy to get anywhere. Thanks for the help!!!

The Walmart Supertech and STP filter flow well and filter good and cost very low.

Fram flows good but quality is still a big concern (their lack of, that is)

Also remember that the Wix is the same filter as the NAPA Gold, and costs less. Carquest premium is also the same filter.

[ April 08, 2003, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

How about K&N filters they seem to flow well and should filter better than wix according to the info given on their web sites?

quote:

Originally posted by Bartman:
How about K&N filters they seem to flow well and should filter better than wix according to the info given on their web sites?

I like the K&N filters, and have been using them on my vehicles but their higher price and diminishing stock in my local stores made me decide to switch to the Carquest Premiums (NAPA Gold).

The K&Ns flow very well, but cost just as much if not more than the Mobil 1 filter.

I have never seen a K&N oil filter anywhere! They must not be sold in my part.
Where can I find the WIX as I have never heard of it. If I remember right the Napa Gold cost around $6.00?

I get the K&N for $10.00 US at Advance Auto parts, Autozone has them too, sounds like I'm lucky I can find them.

I never liked any of the Champion labs filters.........After following this forum for some time I will buy WIX or NAPA Gold......

quote:

I have never seen a K&N oil filter anywhere! They must not be sold in my part.
Where can I find the WIX as I have never heard of it. If I remember right the Napa Gold cost around $6.00?

Chris, K&N's aren't very common OTC. Around here the only store that carries them is AutoZone. Online you can find quite a few sources like Summit.

Wix is a division of the Dana Corporation. They sell under their own name but in my experience it's more common to find their filters under other names. From memory: Carquest, NAPA Gold, some NAPA Silver... and that's where memory fails. Search previous posts for wix to get a complete list.

David

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

What about filtration?

The M1 filters smaller particles, but based on Bob's oil analysis, it ends up creating more wear due to it's poor flow qualities.

Was this a repeated or controlled test, or a one time thing? I do remember that he had an analysis with a M1 filter and then an analysis with a Fram filter, but this does not prove anything. It may be a basis for a hunch, but no where near enough data to say "it ends up creating more wear due to it's poor flow qualities".

I may have missed some more data, but I only saw 1 set of analysis for this. If there are more, please let me know where I can see them.

ChrisA, I agree. People and things get a rep pretty quick sometimes, although the pressure drop in the filter test is mighty suggestive.

Bob has been using the M1 filter for a few analysis reports, and none of them were super spectacular but since switching filters, all of his reports have looked better.

I have a feeling that the Mobil 1 filter is designed specifically for synthetic oils improved flow characteristics. The problem arises when the synthetic media is mismatched with conventional based oils which have a problem with good flow through the filter media when cold.

I think I'm still switching to the Napa/WIX because they still filter well and flow better.

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
ChrisA, I agree. People and things get a rep pretty quick sometimes, although the pressure drop in the filter test is mighty suggestive.

Sure, but it suggests nothing about which is better more flow, or more filtration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back