My open mind wants to try Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: twentynine
Why RP?

you can get the same, at half the price with some over the counter oils.

Because I've read how smooth it makes a motor run.

I will only run synthetics in my VW and none of them are half the price of RP. Most of them have half the TBN though! If I can run RP twice as far, it will come out cheaper than the other oils! And if I like the way my motor runs, it's a win-win...

the do it and mercifully end this idiotic conversation.

Royal purple got a spell on u fella.

in six months when u realize life didnt change much, or perhaps you have gotten enough of one not to hang around here anymore, you will be out a few bucks.

how does the song go?:
"If it makes you happy...."

RP doesn't have a spell on me, I just believe that it is due consideration based on some testimonies and UOA's that I have read here and elsewhere.

I don't see anything idiotic about bring up a few points that I feel may be overlooked which was the intent of the thread.

What seems idiotic to me is how some will obsess over a few ppm of wear when they won't keep the car long enough for it to matter.

Also, it seems idiotic to me that some will curse something they have never tried. Reminds me of my kids and food when they say "I don't like that" when they have never even tried it!

RP may not work out for me, and if it doesn't I will move on. The reason I started this thread was because I felt that there were some points to be made that folks may be overlooking when they are making their decision to not try it.

And, I will be out a few bucks no matter which oil I try, especially if I were to use one with low a TBN that couldn't go for very long!

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
RP doesn't have a spell on me, I just believe that it is due consideration based on some testimonies and UOA's that I have read here and elsewhere.

I don't see anything idiotic about bring up a few points that I feel may be overlooked which was the intent of the thread.

What seems idiotic to me is how some will obsess over a few ppm of wear when they won't keep the car long enough for it to matter.

Also, it seems idiotic to me that some will curse something they have never tried. Reminds me of my kids and food when they say "I don't like that" when they have never even tried it!

RP may not work out for me, and if it doesn't I will move on. The reason I started this thread was because I felt that there were some points to be made that folks may be overlooking when they are making their decision to not try it.

And, I will be out a few bucks no matter which oil I try, especially if I were to use one with low a TBN that couldn't go for very long!

I agree with alot you've posted here.

There's alot of people on these forums who slam a product for unknown reasons,but yet they want to be a credable poster with valuable information. Take each reply with a grain of salt here
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DragRace

I agree with alot you've posted here.

There's alot of people on these forums who slam a product for unknown reasons,but yet they want to be a credable poster with valuable information. Take each reply with a grain of salt here
wink.gif

amen!

I second that Amen brother!

Like Farrarfan posted in another thread, aside from the Pro's on here Bruce, malokule, etc.. and the knowledgable fellers jag, buster, pablo etc..

everyone else is just guesses, opinion, regurgitated info.

Very good answer!
thumbsup2.gif

Actually, I went around today and checked the price of Quaker State Q( variuos ones ), Penzoil Platinum, and Valvoline Synpower. They were all running $5.25-$5.75 p/qt( individual qt - and even at Wal-Mart they were running this high ). I pay $5.75 for RP. Sold in 4 or 5 qt bulk jugs it is a little less sure but the price is not that much different qt vs qt.

Last edited by a moderator:
psst-
i am no engineer, but i know it really doesnt matter what oil is used, as long as it is api sm and you change it regularly
(Like 5k oci)
go to 10k with a premium if it does something for u.

let the jolly ranchers do all the analyzing they want.

a turbo needs better oil and more frequent oci.

what else is there to discuss?

Originally Posted By: bigjeffie
psst-
i am no engineer, but i know it really doesnt matter what oil is used, as long as it is api sm and you change it regularly
(Like 5k oci)
go to 10k with a premium if it does something for u.

let the jolly ranchers do all the analyzing they want.

a turbo needs better oil and more frequent oci.

what else is there to discuss?

Then why are you on this forum???? Seems like you got it all figured out for a non-engineer.

Originally Posted By: twentynine
Why RP?

you can get the same, at half the price with some over the counter oils.

Because I've read how smooth it makes a motor run.

I will only run synthetics in my VW and none of them are half the price of RP. Most of them have half the TBN though! If I can run RP twice as far, it will come out cheaper than the other oils! And if I like the way my motor runs, it's a win-win...

I got a butt load of Q-Torque in 5w-20 and 10w-30 on close out from AA @ $1 a quart. It's synthetic, and it was less than half the cost of RP.

I don't have a problem with RP, RL or Amsoil except cost. If you want to try it, by all means give it a go.

How do you confirm it is doing better than or worse than your previous oil. UOA? Well that cost money too! Motor running smoother? If I spent that much on an OC it might be my imagination hoping it was running smoother. Not very scientific.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Royal Purple = Sub Standard

It compares favourably to $2 dino oils.

How do you defend such a statement? Where is your proof please.
smirk2.gif
Sure isn't all those horrible UOA's everyone talks about being posted here because the overwhelming vast majority of them are good.
21.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I listed all the ~standards~ RP does not meet compared other oil that are priced LOWER.

You have recommended using M1 5w-40 to folks and I don't see any of the gasoline standards you listed on it. Seems a little hypocritical to praise and recommend one synthetic with no standards and then bash another! BTW, it sheared to a high 30w in my 30v in 3000 miles when I gave it a try.

I won't hold a list of standards above a UOA when I have good reason to believe an oil will perform as good or better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back