My name is Joe and I am an addict....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tojo1968
LOL
can we organize a OA meeting?

It's called the BITOG "X-YeAR" MEETINGS.
grin2.gif

Even my family has noticed I am going to the PQIA website at least once a day (which is how I found out Formula Shell is almost identical to Amsoil OEM oil).

What? How did you come to that conclusion? Shell has very high NOACK, lower TBN, and high CCS viscosity. It's very clear that one is synthetic and one is not.

I learned on BITOG you can go much longer than 3k and it's a very good idea to use synthetic oil in turbo engines.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
We welcome you Joe! I am a BITOG addict as well, its always an open tab on my Google Chrome. Now, I must say shame on you! No need to be ashamed of the Orange Can.

+1
grin.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald

You are really addicted when your "stash" shelves in the garage are filled with oil and you start storing the extras in the back of your bedroom closet.

I've resorted to keeping my stash under my computer desk. Right now in kicking distance of my foot, I have 3 years worth of oil changes. I didn't use to understand why people would have multi-year sized oil stashes, but then I was able to pick up two cases of oil at a good price, and now I'm one of them.

Its nice to know I am not the only one who scopes out the oil shelves at stores. Lol.

I currently have 3 different stash locations throughout the house. They are organized by brand are are far enough away so they don't find out about each other.

M1
Castrol
Pennzoil

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Its nice to know I am not the only one who scopes out the oil shelves at stores. Lol.

I currently have 3 different stash locations throughout the house. They are organized by brand are are far enough away so they don't find out about each other.

M1
Castrol
Pennzoil

It's the first place I go when I shop.

I'm sick. I know.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
"I change my oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles, or whenever I'm bored" ~Hank Hill
Hank Hill was a wise man, I think it would be tough to covert him over to the synthetic side though...

Hi Joe! My name is Drew and I am also an addict. I always referenced this site when I was curious about Amsoil when my friend told me the stuff could last up to 25k miles, i thought that was ridiculous but sure enough after reading about UOAs, ad packs, TBNs and TANs I believed it. That was just the beginning, I started hearing about the AZ sales and $1.00 qts and the idea of having a stash of oil and I got hooked on the steals and deals. Now I too wait for the monthly circulars from Napa, AZ, Pepboys and O'reilly Auto Parts (no AAP near me). I rush straight towards the oil section at Walmart ( before I get the traditional medium sized french fries from the in-store Mcdonalds for my daughter and I.. which is in the complete opposite corner). Ive embraced my addiction and think of it as a hobby. My wife grew tired of hearing me talk about oil and BITOG so I can't ever bring it up around her so I come here and nerd out among my peers and try to learn as much as possible.

BTW the new Pep Boys Circular is out today and it blows. And im still waiting for the filter sale to start at my Napa, fingers crossed I called last week and the employee said he hadn't heard anything about it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

M1
Castrol
Pennzoil

It's the first place I go when I shop.

I'm sick. I know.

It like I am an oil creeper LOL

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
OCI are usually 3-4 times a year.
seems like BITOG hasn't helped much because from my understanding of being on here, its always been to show how useless 3k OCI are or the "time" oriented OCIs. From what I understand from being on BITOG is that all motor oils with the right certification for your vehicle, will be more then adequate in protecting your engine, and another thing is extending your OCIs beyond 3k is more then acceptable for most vehicles barring the service the vehicle is under.

I use OEM filters 99% of the time because...(I have to explain?)
please do, I don't understand, is it a special filter? if not then companies that specialize in making oil filters, will introduce a better filter for your car then OEM oil filters, especially in efficiency and material quality to extend it's use.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that. I use OEM because of my warranty. I had a friend who was given a horrible run around years ago because he had a lifter fail. Dealer blamed it on the aftermarket filter not being up to OEM spec. They did finally replace the lifter but not after alot of hassle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
I am ashamed to say I trusted Fram Orange at one time in my life...(come on....NASCAR!!!)

there is nothing wrong with orange fram...perfectly serviceable for 5k OCI.

LOL that was a joke due to the battle lines I have seen drawn on BITOG about these filters.

I have posted this before lets petition oil companies like Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline and others to open an after hours technical consultation clinic should depressed BITOG members be unable to get help on the forum during usual business hours and require immediate access to treatment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Even my family has noticed I am going to the PQIA website at least once a day (which is how I found out Formula Shell is almost identical to Amsoil OEM oil).

What? How did you come to that conclusion? Shell has very high NOACK, lower TBN, and high CCS viscosity. It's very clear that one is synthetic and one is not.

I learned on BITOG you can go much longer than 3k and it's a very good idea to use synthetic oil in turbo engines.

Not sure what you looked at, I came to that conclusion looking at a 5w-30 synthetic analysis that PQIA did in March of 2013. Shell NOACK was 9.7, Amsoil was 10.9! See for yourself. http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html
I use synthetic in my ST and change it at 3k due to my drive to work is only 4.5 miles each way. The oil never gets to full operating temp.

Does having a five quart jug of Mobil I 0w-30 on my work bench shelf mean I'm a BITOG addict? I also admit to having a Longacre oil filter cutter and maybe six oil filters on the shelf. I do admit to visiting the forum every day, every hour Monday through Sunday. I like what some individuals bring to the forum. So far, no one has called me a nut for my posts. Thanks members, you give an old [censored] who has had a love affair for vehicles for over sixty years something to look forward to every morning. Dam, NWS says we might have more snow tonight.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

Not sure what you looked at, I came to that conclusion looking at a 5w-30 synthetic analysis that PQIA did in March of 2013. Shell NOACK was 9.7, Amsoil was 10.9! See for yourself. http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html
I use synthetic in my ST and change it at 3k due to my drive to work is only 4.5 miles each way. The oil never gets to full operating temp.

Ah, I see. Didn't know they made synthetic Shell Formula, was only familiar with the white bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back