My gripes with Ford Motor Co

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: johnd
I had a number of Ford trucks and vans that were ok but I never cared that much for Ford automobiles. While we are on the subject of gauges, Fords are notorious for having speedometers that show too fast and odometers that show too many miles.

I'm a Ford guy and I've never seen that.

They must have learned that trick from the Japanese. Most of their cars used to read high. I can think of two reasons this was done on purpose. The first was to end warranty liability early, the second was to make people think they got better mileage than actual.

I still stand by my original gripe with ford. I hate the fake guauges and i hate not haveing a olm. A milage counter is a bunch of [censored].

I cant belive this thread has gone to 7 pages.

Wake up ford!

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
They must have learned that trick from the Japanese. Most of their cars used to read high. I can think of two reasons this was done on purpose. The first was to end warranty liability early, the second was to make people think they got better mileage than actual.

Maybe another reason is they wanted the customer to not getting speeding tickets? Nah. OK maybe to make the car seem faster and quiter at speed. Those ones I'd believe. My GM speedometer is dead on accurate with the radar speed display gizmos the city some times puts up.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
No, he's right. My grandmothers edge at highway speeds shows about 4-5mph faster than it actually is going.

According to radars all of my vehicles have read about 2 mph fast, be it Ford, Toyota, or Nissan. This is a common trait for many OEMs.

My Expedition is 4Km/h fast. The Lincoln is DEAD-ON. Mustang was off by a good 10Km/h. Our Olds wagon was off by 7Km/h.

I think it is hit or miss with any vehicle except a cruiser with a calibrated speedo.

Yeah some of the error can be just the instrument cluster tolerance. A tach could be off slightly compared to a scanner tool reading or temperature gauge etc.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Yeah some of the error can be just the instrument cluster tolerance. A tach could be off slightly compared to a scanner tool reading or temperature gauge etc.

Agreed.

No, he's right. My grandmothers edge at highway speeds shows about 4-5mph faster than it actually is going.

Our fleet of Rangers here at the office all seem to read 5 or so miles per hour too fast, at least when measured using the portable roadside radar stands our town seems so fond of. Other vehicles I drive don't have this discrepancy.

Originally Posted By: css9450

Our fleet of Rangers here at the office all seem to read 5 or so miles per hour too fast, at least when measured using the portable roadside radar stands our town seems so fond of. Other vehicles I drive don't have this discrepancy.

Automatic speeding ticket eliminator feature.......

Never had an issue with a Ford that I didn't cause.. the dealerships on the other hand.. (-.-)

The idiot light (gauges) are annoying, but I've had a TON more issues with the GM products my family, friends, and I have owned. I highly doubt I'll ever own another GM product.. though the new Vette is very tempting.

Originally Posted By: VistaBlueGT

The idiot light (gauges) are annoying, but I've had a TON more issues with the GM products my family, friends, and I have owned. I highly doubt I'll ever own another GM product..

And now for something completely different - Let's bash GM!

I thought the speedo inaccuracy was there if you wanted to put bigger tires. Someone I know has put bigger tires on their truck and the speedo was almost dead-on with the GPS MPH readout.

Speaking of oil guages, the oil guage on my Toyota Tundra flucuatates with engine RPM. Pretty cool feature as I experiment with 5W20 and 20W50 weights in my truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: css9450

The idiot light (gauges) are annoying, but I've had a TON more issues with the GM products my family, friends, and I have owned. I highly doubt I'll ever own another GM product..

And now for something completely different - Let's bash GM!

Not bashing Obama motors, just stating we've had some bad experiences with them.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I thought the speedo inaccuracy was there if you wanted to put bigger tires. Someone I know has put bigger tires on their truck and the speedo was almost dead-on with the GPS MPH readout.

I'm not sure if that's why the inaccuracy is there, but speedos often become more accurate with larger tires. When I went from P235s to 31x10.50s on my Explorer, the speedo seemed to become more accurate. The MPH matched my dad's Garmin GPS almost exactly with the 31s.

Never had an issue with a Ford that I didn't cause..

I can say the same thing about my Mustang.
grin2.gif

I don't know but I had and several others had many issues with 90's, 80's and prior Ford cars that they definitely didn't cause. That's not to say Fords are not a lot better now, but so is most every other make.

I don't know but I had and several others had many issues with 90's, 80's and prior Ford cars that they definitely didn't cause.

Can't you say that about any brand? I can say I had issues with 80s and 90s model Japanese brands that are supposedly the "pinnacle" of quality.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I don't know but I had and several others had many issues with 90's, 80's and prior Ford cars that they definitely didn't cause.

Can't you say that about any brand? I can say I had issues with 80s and 90s model Japanese brands that are supposedly the "pinnacle" of quality.

Well I don't disagree with that at all. But some of those Fords were really bad, even worse then the perennial "favorite" GM of that era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back