Ford layoffs

I am guessing car prices are going to have to stall or dip at some point. People are just keeping there old cars longer.
I will have all of mine for sometime. I can afford something new but don't want to pay what they are asking.

They weren't designed to tow. They are a vehicle to run around economically and be practical for a lot of things. Grocery getter, Home Depot runs etc. They do a good job of doing that.
Right, and many people don't need to tow, but a small truck bed is handy for them. Even the old Ranger when it ceased production could tow over 3,000 lbs with the V6 which is enough for most home owners to pull a small boat or lawn mower.

Have fun driving up and down on ramps all day. LOL
Not sure what that means, but sure, I try and have fun. And the Model 3 is a blast to drive. It makes other cars old skool; not bad, just dated. This is one reason owners love them so much; they have far better repeat customers stats than MBZ, BMW, etc. Warts and all...

Who are you trying to sell me or you? The Tesla looks very dated and not a nice looking are in any way.
I am not selling anything to anyone. Drive what you want; it's your money.
Looks are subjective. I was talking about the driving characteristics, not the looks. Again, my opinion.

While I agree that Ford's slogan, "Quality Is Job One" has been on the back burner for some time now, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Not just for Ford and the auto industry, but the whole economy in general.

We're seeing insane prices everywhere. Out of control inflation, as the government prints and dumps money into the economy, and people line up to borrow it. American citizens sense of value has diminished over the last several years.

If you look at all of the borrowing and foolish spending that led up to the crash of 1929, a lot of parallel lines can be drawn with this economy. As always, history has a nasty way of repeating itself.

remember this one....https://youtu.be/vs9Y8F2PLFE

Who are you trying to sell me or you? The Tesla looks very dated and not a nice looking are in any way.

A model 3 performance is an absolute blast to drive. I had so much fun when I rented one for a week for free because of Turo account credit. An ICE Mercedes doesn’t push you back in your seat like that.

But, you’re totally right on interiors. Tesla saved a lot of money on the interior. I’d say that’s why the entire car is controlled by an “iPad” - it’s cheaper to write lines of code than put buttons and switches all over the place.

That said, many people are fine with the Tesla interior. I’d be fine with it too. I don’t intend to buy one, I think I’ll be getting a new Chevy EV in a couple years, but just because it’s an iPad on wheels doesn’t mean it’s bad, it’s a fun car!

I look at the Model 3 like I do the last generation GTO. It’s a car that has very little actual styling. Not offensive while it looks at least cleanly designed. The driving experience is where these cars shine. I’ve always preferred cars that aren’t as in your face in appearance, but have great driving dynamics.

+1

I know a few coworkers are interested in the Maverick, but can't find one. When they do it is usually with a huge mark up. When I was a kid Ford Rangers were everywhere. They were a cheap economical and reliable truck that was a good size for younger drivers, home owners, and elderly people who didn't need or want a full size. A Ranger extended cab was probably one of the most popular trucks in my area. Next the automakers tried to convince people they needed a full size, since the fuel economy isn't much different, and after that they raised the price of the full sized trucks.

Many of the people in my circle that previously owned Rangers and S10s have now moved on to a small CUV with a trailer because they don't want a full sized truck or can't afford/justify one. Some have purchased Frontiers and Tacomas.
My solution….

There have been a couple used Mavericks in the area with 50k miles for about $25k, but they were bare bones XL models. I too looked at Ford Rangers, but the markup was terrible! Plus the mileage not being off from full size is a concern. Frontier was my next choice, but pickups were at a premium when I needed a car.

The US car makers have pushed me to Japanese cars. My 238k mile Camry drives fantastically, where as my 110k mile Chrysler T&C rattles and allows gravel dust to sneak inside due to poor seals. My 95 Wrangler does that, but I expect that from a soft top Jeep, not a Touring-L model.

Ford also lost me when my 2016 F150 needed a new carrier bearing at 85k miles. It was $1500 for a whole new driveshaft because it wasn’t a serviceable item. That truck did go 160k miles fairly reliable, but needed $8000 in exhaust manifold and turbo work, which is why we said goodbye. I haven’t had a desire for a pickup since.

Attachments

• IMG_1083.jpeg
    IMG_1083.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 7
Back