My engine is rattling at idle. Is this typical while Auto-RX is at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1.8T engine rattles pretty badly at idle, only when I'm stopped and the gear is in drive (so it's only rattling at this specific RPM level). When I put it into neutral or park, the idle RPM increases by just a hair (less than 100 RPM) and the rattling goes away. I started the ARX rinse about 300 miles ago with Rotella Syn 5w40. The rattling started mildly during the cleaning phase, but now that I'm in the rinse phase it's become much more audible and it's vibrating my whole dash!

Is this typical with 1.8T+ARX? Or is this rattling a cause of the cheap synthetic? Or is this just a coincidence (and if so, why is it rattling so bad at this specific RPM level)?

Are you using the same kind of filter?
And, just curious why you're using synthetic instead of dino, as the instrucions direct? Not that this would be causing the rattle...
Though I didn't expereince this, I've heard some say that they had weird stuff going in during the rinse phase.

Your engine now has clean areas of metal (previously covered in oil debris etc) your getting oil lubrication in these areas for the first time in quite a while. Rinse cycle when complete and just new clean oil in engine, please post again.

Sounds like a resonance problem. Probably you're running slightly looser but the idle air control is between computer logical steps. (IE target rpm is 800, you're 795 but the computer can't get any closer.) Maybe cleaning out the idle air gizmo will help.

Of course if it doesn't drive you mad, wait until you're done with the rinse phase to see if it goes away.

Still don't understand why you use Rotella Sync during rinse phase??????????????????

Shouldn't you be using dino oil?

Apparently Group III oils are allowed.

His symptoms are not unusual in a rinse phase. I had all kinds of radical and new ticks and clicks. They all eventually went away.

Just keep on going.

The filter was changed for the rinse phase. I think I'll just wait it out and see what happens after the ARX cycle is complete. The rattling is just occasional anyway. I'm already 750 miles into the rinse phase, not 300 as I previously said. When I'm done with the rinse phase I'll change the filter again and try GC for the first time (previously M1 0w40). I don't know if it's just me, but I think my throttle response is already improved and I've gotten back a few horses.

[ February 07, 2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: gnosis ]

Check both the serpentine and then the timing belt tensioners.

The accessory/serpentine belt tensioner went bad at 30,000 km on my 1.8T and was only audible at about 3000 rpm. I also heard a rattling/tapping/vibration, which I thought was a bad lifter, but now wonder if it was a timing belt tensioner. The timing belt let go at 135,000 km.
crushedcar.gif

Just for thought , replace your PCV valve,there maybe some suspended byproduct making it stick/stay open,also it would not hurt to run a good injecter cleaner during this phase of cleaning assome again byproducts may get into combustion chamber and foul up plugs a bit ,and or change to Bosch plat. plugs,,,,,BL

quote:

Did you bend the valves or were you extraordinarily lucky?

I don't know.

I've been waiting to find a good engine at a wrecker before doing anything with this engine. Since this ordeal has now gone on so long, I've now decided to rebuild the original unit. I’ll let everyone know what the damage is once we get it apart.

Brian and gnosis, The 1.8T doesn't have a PCV.

I stand corrected
cheers.gif
. Yet another example of why you shouldn't trust your friendly neighborhood VW dealer.
rolleyes.gif

It's amazing to me that a dealer can stay in business despite such incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back