Dealer forgot to put air filter back, clips on box caused mystery vibration

I got an oil change a few weeks ago at a Toyota dealer (the apartment doesn't allow auto maintenance so DIY is out for this situation) on the Camry. A few days later, I noticed that it was making a very sporadic knocking/rattling noise when stopped in gear (like when waiting at a light), but idling in park/neutral was as smooth and quiet as normal. It also made an odd, low noise at low-mid-throttle on the highway. I wasn't able to determine where it was coming from and it was starting to drive me crazy, but I couldn't reproduce it. Thinking about and searching symptoms led me to think that motor mounts (increased vibration) or heat shield rattling might be to blame. I had an exhaust shop look it over on a lift and they couldn't find anything wrong, and made an appointment at a different mechanic for next week to diagnose it.

Come to find out... the dealer's "courtesy inspection" which involved removing the (perfectly clean) air filter didn't, in this case, include putting any filter back.

After realizing what was up (watching it idle in gear with the hood up, and seeing the filter housing vibrate), I immediately popped in a fresh filter and snapped the clips, and, presto - no vibration. It's running as expected with no CEL or anything.

I have a call out to the service manager at the dealer, so it'll be interesting to see if they offer to do anything to rectify the situation (I'm not really sure what's reasonable/fair). I'm suuuuuuper unhappy to have driven over a thousand miles without an air filter, but I'm not sure that there's anything I can do at this point other than do an oil change to get potentially-contaminated oil out. Obviously, any damage is already done - I'm seriously hoping this doesn't hurt what's been a great car/engine, which has had no appreciable oil consumption over 10k runs of M1 0w20. I'm kicking myself in case this thwarts the quest for 300k on this car (who can say?)

Any thoughts on discussing this with the dealer service manager or any additional things I should do as damage control? It was driven almost all highway on non-dusty roads (no gravel at all) so I hope that damage was minimal/nonexistent. I'll just be trying to make myself feel better by thinking about how snowblowers, boats, etc. don't tend to have air filters... but kicking myself nonetheless.

Probably didn't hurt it but didn't do it any good either. Did you take pictures of empty, unfastened air filter box? Maybe ask for free oil changes? But if you do check under the hood "before" you leave dealership. "If" you use it.

Probably didn't hurt it but didn't do it any good either. Did you take pictures of empty, unfastened air filter box? Maybe ask for free oil changes? But if you do check under the hood "before" you leave dealership. "If" you use it.
Yep, I grabbed a picture.

What happened makes a bit of sense after thinking about it, and I do check the oil level after an oil change at a shop/dealer, but making sure the air filter box was secure wasn't something that even crossed my mind (I check the filter and replace as needed, maybe once or twice a year, but wasn't thinking of that as being the cause of this issue). It seems a bit obvious retrospectively, with all the pieces...

I had a Toyota dealership mechanic forget to put a ATF fill plug back on. How does this happen ? Aren't they supposed to place stuff in a spot where they cannot miss seeing it when replacing or reinstalling ?

😬
I don't know if they're "supposed to," but I have seen many mechanics and techs do things to eliminate or reduce the chance of making such mistakes. The most recent was seeing a DIYer put a big note on the driver's seat saying "NO OIL" when doing an oil change.

I don't know if they're "supposed to," but I have seen many mechanics and techs do things to eliminate or reduce the chance of making such mistakes. The most recent was seeing a DIYer put a big note on the driver's seat saying "NO OIL" when doing an oil change.
Good points Shel_B. I actually show my mechanic my BITOG UOA threads to reinforce the importance of the fact that I alone will be doing the oil changes !!!

Now you know to document your entry and exit from the stealership fully. We all learn that the hard way.

Although I don't use a quick lube establishment for my oil/filter changes or other services, as I do my own services. However, I do frequent one of these quick lube stations, Valvoline Instant Oil Change(VIOC) close to my home for NY State Vehicle Inspection(where available). While there, I must applaud them for their "double check system".

When a vehicle is in for a service, the tech below the vehicle who is performing the service and the service writer/manager above the vehicle who is recording vehicle information, speak back-n-fourth to one another for each step of the service, assuring the vehicle being serviced is done properly & thoroughly.

And YES, I witness a lot of up charging for other services that they perform such as air filters, tranny service, brake fluid flush, wiper blades, battery service/replacement etc.

Last edited:
Pfft the dealer tossed the spare tire, jack, air pump, all the related holders and what not, along with all the trunk carpet, padding, tail light bulb access covers, everything down to the metal.

Although I don't use a quick lube establishment for my oil/filter changes or other services, as I do my own services. However, I do frequent one of these quick lube stations, Valvoline Instant Oil Change(VIOC) close to my home for NY State Vehicle Inspection(where available). While there, I must applaud them for their "double check system".

When a vehicle is in for a service, the tech below the vehicle who is performing the service and the service writer/manager above the vehicle who is recording vehicle information, speak back-n-fourth to one another for each step of the service, assuring the vehicle being serviced is done properly & thoroughly.

And YES, I witness a lot of up charging for other services that they perform such as air filters, tranny service, brake fluid flush, wiper blades, battery service/replacement etc.
Valvoline quick lubes have a good buddy system almost like a NASCAR pit stop.

After several oil changes at a place I used to use I noticed an annoying pattern. Next day, without fail, the MAF sensor would set a code. I finally asked them if they did anything wonky while changing the oil. They replied, “As a courtesy we check things out including pulling the air filter, giving it a couple of taps and blow out the air box with compressed air.” Probably just enough to stir things up and trip the MAF. I guess they meant well but I don’t use them anymore.

I thought to myself that you went to the Ford/Mazda dealer in Paducah, KY. They didn't have the airbox put together and the tire brake check included one tire at 38psi and three tires at 23-28psi. Not a win in my book.

After several oil changes at a place I used to use I noticed an annoying pattern. Next day, without fail, the MAF sensor would set a code. I finally asked them if they did anything wonky while changing the oil. They replied, “As a courtesy we check things out including pulling the air filter, giving it a couple of taps and blow out the air box with compressed air.” Probably just enough to stir things up and trip the MAF. I guess they meant well but I don’t use them anymore.
That's plain foolish. How about using a shop vac?

That's inexcusable but you most likely have no recourse with the dealership. Even if they offer you something like a few free oil changes, would you really want to go back there? It's like finding a bandaid in your soup at a restaurant and them giving you a free coupon for the next three bowls.

Back