Mouse nests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always make sure to check your equipment for mouse nests. Hadn't used my log splitter in awhile and the little monsters found a way in.

1336614355.jpg

1336614344.jpg

1336614283.jpg

This is after a whole winter of catching them with snap traps.
39.gif

Last edited:
I found mouse droppings in my shed.

So I started the generator and closed the door for about an hour.

Haven't found any droppings since.

Boy-o does that look familiar!

I had that happen on my mower and it over-sped and over-heated so much it dieseled when I turned it off (no deadman) and kept screaming until it ran out of gas.

Originally Posted By: Quest
yikes!

**sure looks like a B&S with manual choke to me**

Q.

Good eye! Its a 5 hp Briggs.

We have two cats and still have this problem. My neighbors have the same issue, so I'm sure its the area we live in.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Quest
yikes!

**sure looks like a B&S with manual choke to me**

Q.

Good eye! Its a 5 hp Briggs.

We have two cats and still have this problem. My neighbors have the same issue, so I'm sure its the area we live in.

I`d fire those Cat`s and get two new ones!!
grin.gif
jk

Ughh!

Man I hate that. Hate it even worse when they chew up a bunch of wiring. I've battled a few riding mowers with that.

Joel

I've never heard of mice nests until I read about them here on BITOG. I'm not even sure if I've encountered a nest in my entire life, but I have seen a few mice over the years. My dog is pretty good at killing them, surprisingly enough. Maybe we have too many predators here?

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I found mouse droppings in my shed.

So I started the generator and closed the door for about an hour.

Haven't found any droppings since.

HAHA

Originally Posted By: JTK
Ughh!

Man I hate that. Hate it even worse when they chew up a bunch of wiring. I've battled a few riding mowers with that.

Joel

The only other engines I've had issues with mice (knock on wood) are easier to take apart. My Deere has a V-Twin Kohler which they usually make nests in the fan and I can just pop the grass screen off with 4 screws and pull out the nest. They also make nests in my woodchipper with a 5 hp briggs flat head. Very easy to pop the shroud off that one. This vertical briggs was a PITA to work on since the carb side faces the splitter. All the bolts required tiny little wrenches to get to them.

Interestingly enough we have plenty of predators. I've seen a few foxes and coyotes driving home from work/school, and have caught glimpses of them on my trail camera.
21.gif

The trick to great mousers is to not feed them any more than is required to keep them around. There's not much motivation for mousing if the owner keeps their bellies full.

I've seen rat nest in Kiawe(mesquite) trees. Usually on the very top on full grown trees.

Interestingly I've seen the remains of a large rat eaten by an Owl. Dang thing I've seen no blood what so ever. Just the skin left over like a skilled surgeon like it was eaten from the inside out.

You could try the ol' 5 gallon bucket mouse trap? There are some really funny videos on YouTube of mouse falling into the water going after peanut butter or something.

I am not sure, but I think mice can also smell cat pee (I sure can) and tend to stay away knowing a fluffy furry kitty is not too far away. The mice who do not heed the advice of their nose are part of the Darwin evolution and have their lives cut short by the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back