PSA - Mouse Nest Season

If you haven't run your machines in a while, give them a good look before running them hard.
I went to mow the portion of the yard that is still thriving in this drought.
I fired up the tractor and bits of stuff came flying out the front. I pulled off the intake and there was a mouse nest. I did not see it when I checked the oil as it was packed right under the intake out of sight. I always use a shop vac in blower mode to blow out the engine area after mowing, so this wasn't just grass bits that I saw flying. I will need to do a thorough cleaning of the engine compartment and set some traps in the shed.
Have a good one.
Clint

Attachments

• mousenest001.JPG
    mousenest001.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 43
Yup...found acorns and a nest in the ride-on mower engine when I fired her up for the first time this season. Had to remove the top grill for the round thingy on top of the engine to clean it out.

I just tilted the cab up on my JCB skid steer last week to check things out and noticed some pink fiberglass insulation. Wound up vacuuming up a huge mouse nest along with a dead mouse and a shredded plastic bag. We have caught a few in the house in the last couple weeks as well.

Best way to clean a mower or tractor is a nice air compressor, and a good blow nozzle, it concentrates the high velocity air better than a shop vac
or yard blower can, and gets into the tight spots.

Back