My amateur rat bait (and/or mouse bait) recommendation

From time to time I have problems with rats that like to make their cozy nests under our backyard deck. I've tried the traditional "snap traps" with limited success. Maybe it's the bait that I use for the traps or any number of other reasons, but I find them often ineffective.

I have a new bait that I bought from Amazon, and the rats seem to really enjoy it so I wanted to pass along my humble recommendation. It's "JT Eaton 704-PN Bait Block Rodenticide Anticoagulant Bait, Peanut Butter Flavor, For Mice and Rats" - https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-704-PN-Rodenticide-Anticoagulant-Peanut/dp/B00DLKGD3Y

The bait has a hole through the middle, so I take a little bailing wire and attach a block of it to a heavy plastic plate. I want my "guests" to dine on the bait but not carry it away. For the last week, I have been checking my plate every day and, without failure, each new block is either nearly or, sometimes, completely eaten! They seem to really like these bait blocks! Being a hospitable host, I'm happy to give them more food if/when they're hungry. Today I found a nice sized rat taking a permanent dirt nap. I scooped him up and gave him a new place to reside.

Just wanted to pass along my experience.

:)

Ed

In my experience mice and rats will eat you about anything you put out. But surprisingly cheese isn't one of their favorites. A lot of people use peanut butter and that works well but I've found that bits of fruit, vegetables, bread or meat also works. A lot of people tie Cheerios to the trigger of the trap and they swear by that.

I've had mice and rats escape from a trap too but I found that if I set two traps close together that they might jump out of the way of the first trap but then got caught in the second.

From time to time I have problems with rats that like to make their cozy nests under our backyard deck. I've tried the traditional "snap traps" with limited success. Maybe it's the bait that I use for the traps or any number of other reasons, but I find them often ineffective.

I have a new bait that I bought from Amazon, and the rats seem to really enjoy it so I wanted to pass along my humble recommendation. It's "JT Eaton 704-PN Bait Block Rodenticide Anticoagulant Bait, Peanut Butter Flavor, For Mice and Rats" - https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-704-PN-Rodenticide-Anticoagulant-Peanut/dp/B00DLKGD3Y

The bait has a hole through the middle, so I take a little bailing wire and attach a block of it to a heavy plastic plate. I want my "guests" to dine on the bait but not carry it away. For the last week, I have been checking my plate every day and, without failure, each new block is either nearly or, sometimes, completely eaten! They seem to really like these bait blocks! Being a hospitable host, I'm happy to give them more food if/when they're hungry. Today I found a nice sized rat taking a permanent dirt nap. I scooped him up and gave him a new place to reside.

Just wanted to pass along my experience.

:)

Ed

You really shouldn't use baits on rats/mice because another predator (ex, Raptor, Owl, ratsnake, etc) could get poisoned by eating a rodent which had eaten your bait.

Trap (electric) or drowning would be better.

You really shouldn't use baits on rats/mice because another predator (ex, Raptor, Owl, ratsnake, etc) could get poisoned by eating a rodent which had eaten your bait.

Trap (electric) or drowning would be better.
Agree, the other side is if they die in a place that isn’t so great, and then you have a filthy stinky dead rodent someplace you don’t want.

Back