Motul 8100 X-CESS 5W40 GEN 2

ok,motul xcess 5-40 , were/are there 2 versions of api sn with and without bmw approval? i see 2 different labels on the jug, 1 with bmw ll01 and one without.

Most likely just old pictures, go by what Motul's latest TDS says.

How about this then API SN without LL-01

Why not just go for LL-04 if you can't find any LL-01. Isn't LL-04 supposed to be backwards compatible.
Otherwise just trust in MB229.5 and A40.

Edit:
Can still find gen2 bottles for sale, they have LL-01.

Last edited:
Most likely just old pictures, go by what Motul's latest TDS says.

How about this then API SN without LL-01

Why not just go for LL-04 if you can't find any LL-01. Isn't LL-04 supposed to be backwards compatible.
Otherwise just trust in MB229.5 and A40.

Edit:
Can still find gen2 bottles for sale, they have LL-01.
LL04 is NOT backwards compatible!

" Due to the increased pollutant emissions, they are not suitable for cars with DPF. The BMW Longlife 04 standard is a further development of BMW Longlife 01 and is therefore backwards compatible. If your car is designed for Longlife 01, you can also fill in Longlife 04 without hesitation. Under no circumstances should engine oil with the approval BMW Longlife 01 be filled in diesel vehicles with DPF."
"BMW Longlife-04 (BMW LL-04)Special BMW approval for fully synthetic long-life oil. Viscosities are SAE 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30 and 5W-40. Usually required for BMWs equipped with a diesel particulate filter (DPF). Can also be used where a BMW Longlife-98 or BMW Longlife-01 oil is recommended."

30seconds of googling disagrees.

It is actually, just not in Murica :ROFLMAO:

Fuchs
"BMW LONGLIFE-04 Specification for BMW engines with soot filter manufatured in 2004 and later. No reverse compatibility with BMW Longlife-01 in North America."

That is Fuchs's interpretation. Fuchs does not have large presence outside the EU when it comes to passenger vehicles. They mostly focus on industrial lubricants.
LL04 has been used in SOME European countries (not even all EU countries) since 2009 in engines that initially required LL01. In most countries around the world, LL01 stayed as the primary choice for N-generation gasoline engines and B generation.
Both LL01 and LL04 are regularly updated.

in my area market you cant find xcess gen 2 still,except some online shops from central europe. but still can find some first gen xcess 5-40. i dont know what stock is this from.i cant recall if is still in production next to gen 2.
but if it is , its not an old stock i mean,can somebody use it although there is no bmw ll01 approval anymore? based on the fact that old formula of excess did have it. and that question stands for other oil brands too.its just an example. are there any big differences between the 2 formulations of first excess that forbidden us to use it?

Back