motorcycle tires. where to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there options besides a motorcycle dealer? what's this gonna cost for a basic 500 bike? I had no idea that tires only last 3000-7000 miles. really?

are talking about buying them or installing them? I usually bought tires from either cycle gear or off ebay. If you can wait till halloween cycle gear usually runs some awesome specials. Last year i got a set of bridgestones shipped to me for what the local motorcycle shop wanted for just the rear. as far as not lasting long what tires are you running? also what kind of driving do you do? If you can find a touring tire it may last you a little longer. I know several people that ran shinko tires. I just didnt trust them enough to run on my gixxer 1000 since i pushed it pretty hard.

I get 10,000-20,000 miles out of mild sport tires on my SV650. your mileage is what I would expect out of a hardcore sport tire on a literbike or something... what bike, what size tires, and what tires do you currently have?

I found a guy locally who installs tires in his garage. He does a great job and charges $30 per tire if you bring the bike or $15 if you bring the wheels already off the bike.

The local dealer offers deals on tires, but I prefer to support the little guy. I buy all my tires from http://www.americanmototire.com/

quick free shipping and prices are usually the lowest or a few dollars off. tires are always new and perfect, shipped in a day or two to my door.

Here are two tire dealers that I have used with good results:

http://www.tireexpress.com/

http://www.swmototires.com/

I currently have 4 bikes in the stable so I found a No-Mar tire changer on Craigslist for 400 bucks and it has already paid for itself. I also get a lot of satisfaction from changing my own tires.

734440124_LHuhZ-L.jpg

734440904_idmTX-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I "froogle" (google shopping search) my tire size. Lots of online options. Mount in my garage with a HF car tire changer. Just needed the bead breaker, and some 2x4s to protect the brake drum. They have a MC attachment which I didn't need.

Wound up with a Shinkyo and it's a great cheap tire. Balanced perfect without weights, nice rubbery feel compared to car tires. Am half worn about 4500 miles later. Forget where I got it, might be motorcycle-superstore as I get lots of spam emails from them still. Date code was several weeks old so it didn't linger in a warehouse.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Are there options besides a motorcycle dealer? what's this gonna cost for a basic 500 bike? I had no idea that tires only last 3000-7000 miles. really?

For my sizes, I've found it very hard to beat Dennis Kirk's prices. Plus, they ship for only $5 a tire.

I found a local guy that bought his own mounting machine (the same one as the one pictured above) that will mount and precision balance (he spends more time balancing than he does mounting) a pair for $50.

Dennis Kirk is good as any, then I mount my own tires with hand tools on the floor. Guys on the GL1800 groups said it impossible without a machine. Well, wrong.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

If you tore up the rear tire on a 500cc bike in 3000 miles, I'll buy you a beer!
I did have a rear on my Hayabusa wear out after one trip. There were little worms of rubber coming off every time I stopped on the BRP to have a look. I think it wasn't vulcanized at the factory properly, it was a one time deal though.
Depending on my riding "mood", type of road, tire compound, solo or 2 up, etc, I'll get 5-8K on the Hayabusa. The Honda VFR doesn't have the torque so they last a little longer.
If you shop around locally, you might find a small independent shop that will change them for a reasonable fee.
People who buy motorcycles to save gas are often surprised by the overall cost of running a bike. Car tires are cheap compared to a bike. Just wait till you have to buy brake pads, they don't exactly give those away either.
Good luck.

hard to beat chapparal racing's prices. Free shipping over $100 too. I recommend Kenda Challengers if they have 'em in the size you need. Can't beat $100 a pair shipped.

Or you can make friends with the guy behind the counter at your local dealer (we ride together).. i always pay 10-15% over dealer cost for tires.. then i make good and ride with the service manager (we ride together too) I bring in my rims, he calls me when he has had the spare time to put them together for me.. its good to have friends

I cant comment to much on tires to be fully honnest, ive been running Pilot powers, the the 2CT's for atleast 5 years now.. most the time i get 3-4 thousand out of a rear, the front varies depending on if im doing track days or not. My good friend runs Pilot Pures on his 08 GSXR 1000 and he's not nice to those tires.. gets 5-6 thousand doing stricktly street.

I know my buddy only got 5k out of his Metzlers on his new Triumph Bonneville. And the OEM rear on my Yamaha Virago 250 were worn out at a little under 4k. All depends on the riding habit, bike, and the compound.

I really like Pirelli Route 66 tires for cruisers.

tomcat

There will be either motorcycle tire specialty shops or independent motorcycle repair shops that will put on new tires for less that the dealership. Check your local Yellow Pages and Google or Bing.

Can you remove the wheels (one at a time is OK), take them to the shop, then reinstall the wheels on your bike? You'll save a lot of money this way. Check the installation prices of bringing in the wheel plus your new tire vs. buying the tire from them.

What tires are you buying? They should last much longer. There are some very cheap tires that wear quickly, but others give longer wear altho may cost more.

What is a "basic 500 bike?"

Touring tires seem to last the longest. If you have a friend that has a cycle or others you know that have changed tires, it's not as hard as you imagine. Get them spin balanced at an independent shop (cheaper than a dealer) and keep the air pressure up.
The pressures listed in your owners manual should be considered the minimums.

Tracking my bike I go through tires in one weekend.

The harbor freight tire changer and nomar balancer work well.

Also taking the wheels off and bringing them to shop for a change is no bad cost wise.

Shop around as some vendors match tire prices.

If you want to spend a bit more money the nomar tire changer is awesome.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
tomcat

What is a "basic 500 bike?"

I will quietly and meekly admit.... a Buell Blast. 4k miles and it needs a new rear. apparently these are known to need tires every 5k. and it is such a small and light bike.

Buells are nothing to be ashamed of. I dont own one, but have followed Eric Buell for some time.. the only shame i see in Buell's is the potential the bikes had, and the Shareholder that held them back.. true pitty. but from my readings Erics not done.. EBR may shine through yet !

Yes, I am a big fan of the Buell Blasts. They look pretty good, very easy maintenance, colored plastics. And they stop on a dime :) Great no-hassle bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back