Motorcraft start up rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it common for a MC FL-400s to cause engine rattle upon start up,about every 3rd or 4th cold start up? It's not real loud, just kind of faint.
21.gif

Well I hope not as I was wondering if the FL-400S might be my solution. Although I'd be very happy with "faint" at this point, right now it sounds like the top of the engine is coming through the hood every 4th or 5th start.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Well I hope not as I was wondering if the FL-400S might be my solution. Although I'd be very happy with "faint" at this point, right now it sounds like the top of the engine is coming through the hood every 4th or 5th start.

I have been using MC FL-400S filters on my 07 F150 since day 1. (Once,a tire store installed a NAPA ProSelect,which I took off)It is a great filter and I would never use anything else.I was just curious if my slight rattle is from the filter,the lifters leaking down,or my oil.Maybe a 0WXX oil will help.
21.gif

Is the rattle new? The engine in your F-150 is known to be one with a tendency for piston slap. We have an '06 F-150 with the 3-valve 5.4L at work and it's bad for slap. But some engines are much quieter.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Is the rattle new? The engine in your F-150 is known to be one with a tendency for piston slap. We have an '06 F-150 with the 3-valve 5.4L at work and it's bad for slap. But some engines are much quieter.

I have the 4.2V6.It has made this sound since new.(Bought with 6 miles on it)Usually it starts up with no rattle at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back