Motor oil as a CLP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Is there anything more toxic or dangerous than open container lighter / starter fluids at the inner-house work table?

Why not stop at the airport and request 8oz of jet fuel too?

Just fuel works, it's just diesel! It's what the manufacturer recommends to clean our GSh-23s.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Actually, I shoot quite a lot. I have a range membership and generally go through several hundred rounds a month. I still shoot on the Government's dime now and then, but not as often as I used to...it's mostly on me.

But, I had bought other oil bottles, a few oz. here and there in the interim.

Even if I hadn't - considering the roughly 6 drops that it takes to oil a gun like my S&W properly, 2 OZ becomes a few hundred instances of proper lubrication...so it lasts a very, very long time.

My M&P9, I lube it with 2-3 drops every few thousand rounds. The only issues I have had with it were when I was wearing some gloves. I slowed the slide with them and had failure to fully chamber. User error, not lube/weapon error. Otherwise, it's run flawlessly.

You are hanging on to a unhealthy tradition Brad. If our country leaders held on to tradition, all or big cities would be ridden in smog and pollution, much like what we are seeing in China these days.

There are traditions to keep and traditions to lose.

What's so bad about Hoppes #9? Seems to work well, and the smell isn't so bad if you're in a well-ventilated area.

Nate
I suppose you clean your handguns in the bathroom - door closed with the [censored]-fan on? Most of us have to expose our family members to the #9 fumes and the toxicity to our bodies.

Use whatever, it's your life. This isn't 1974 anymore BTW. Technology has advanced considerably.

I'm done with this Hoppes discussion. Just can't alert everyone, I guess.

I clean my guns in the garage, on my workbench, with the door open. Plenty of circulation.

I love the smell of Hoppe's...

Nate
I suppose you clean your handguns in the bathroom - door closed with the [censored]-fan on? Most of us have to expose our family members to the #9 fumes and the toxicity to our bodies.

Use whatever, it's your life. This isn't 1974 anymore BTW. Technology has advanced considerably.

No need to get defensive. I wasn't challenging you or anything. Just legitimately wanted more information. I was not aware that Hoppe's #9 was so toxic and hazardous. I don't know if you've shared this information elsewhere on this site, but I haven't read about it prior to this thread and even here you haven't exactly said what ingredients in it are toxic - or even a link to an article that would give more information, which is the what I was looking for with my original question.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You are hanging on to a unhealthy tradition Brad. If our country leaders held on to tradition, all or big cities would be ridden in smog and pollution, much like what we are seeing in China these days.

There are traditions to keep and traditions to lose.

Yeah the smog in Bejing is really relevant to someone using Hoppes #9 to clean a shotgun. Put down the bong dude....
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

HOPPES ALERT! HOPPES ALERT!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON......lmao
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: NateDN10

What's so bad about Hoppes #9? Seems to work well, and the smell isn't so bad if you're in a well-ventilated area.

Nothing wrong at all......unless you're in the wide open mountain ranges and rolling plains of North Detroit......
lol.gif
lol.gif

Someone's had too much lead in their water.....
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif

A few years back, I bought my brother Hoppe's No.9 AIR FRESHENERS for his truck.

He loved them!

Here: http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-No-9-Air-Freshener/dp/B01AYEJK1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460145741&sr=8-1&keywords=Hoppe%27s+No.9+air+freshener

You can hang them in your truck!

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
ATF is better.

Motor oil has far higher levels of Anti-wear and corrosion inhibitors.

Which is great for a protectant, but the OP asked about cleaner.

For that atf is better. Hands down.

ATF is better.

Why? Does it have more detergents as HDEO oil?

ATF is better.

I'm curious as well. How is ATF a better cleaner than motor oil?

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I'm curious as well. How is ATF a better cleaner than motor oil?

+1

Last edited:
Several hundred rounds through my M4 type rifle suppressed the other day. Cleaned up with a paper towel. I'll stick with SLIP 2000 EWL and similar products made for the task.

Originally Posted By: Ws6
I'll stick with SLIP 2000 EWL and similar products repacked for the task.

Fixed
smile.gif

I would add....or motocycle/racing ester based engine oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back